New Jersey Licensing

Originally Posted By: Phillip R. Hinman
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

I am about half way through the education part of this endeavor and can not believe what I will be up against in trying to acquire the final license!!!

I have been in residential construction for 30+ years and got no relief through life experience in the business.

I also believe another organization is deparately protecting their turf and will make it very painfull for me, but profitable for their members, to acquire my license.

They are requiring 50 mentored inspections and 250 supervised inspections along with the 300 hours of classroom work!

Those in the business are asking for 50-100 for each mentored inspection and to get the 250 you are routinely asked to sign a 2 year contract!!!

The state has put us at the mercy of the existing inspectors who were granfatherd in and would like to control the new people in the business.

Would like anyones thoughts or help dealing with these issues.

By the way, I’m in South Jersey and would be glad to cross over into PA to begin my inspection career.

Originally Posted By: gbell

I think that I would have to move.

So simple

--
Greg Bell
Bell Inspection Service

Originally Posted By: jpope

Move ?!? I hear that!! icon_confused.gif

Jeff Pope

JPI Home Inspection Service

“At JPI, we’ll help you look better”

(661) 212-0738

Originally Posted By: jonofrey

Phillip,

I can sympathize with your plight. New Jersey seems to be on the radical end of a prevailing trend and attitude in this industry regarding new entrants. Texas is not so bad and the regulation here is actually a good thing IMHO.

There are people here at NACHI that have experience and will help you if you ask them. I'm not sure how Jersey defines a "mentored" inspection. Can you fill us in on the details?

--
Inspection Nirvana!

We're NACHI. Get over it.

Originally Posted By: psabados

Hi Phillip

What are the basic requirements set forth by the state that you have to meet? Forget what fee's and rules that the evil empire wants to impose on you! ![icon_twisted.gif](upload://xjO326gspdTNE5QS3UTl0a0Rtvy.gif) The empire is beginning to collapse unto itself, and there's more than one way to skin a very fat cat

Paul

Originally Posted By: gbell

removed

Greg Bell

Bell Inspection Service

Originally Posted By: ecrofutt

Write letters to all the state legislators laying out your travails. They’re the ones who voted on it. Let them know how it affects you.

May not help you personally at this time, but others in the future.

--
Erby Crofutt
B4U Close Home Inspections
Georgetown, Kentucky

www.b4uclose.com

accompanying a “NJ Licensed Inspector” during a paid home inspection done according tho the state regulations, which is very close to the ASHII standards.

At this time the only licensed inspectors are those who were granfathered into the program. Guess they really want to help us !!!

You receive an associates license when you have:

1. Completed 50 mentored inspections-Cost-approx $2500 plus your time!

2. Completed 300 hours of classroom work- Cost Approx $6000!

3. Show proof of E & O insurance-$500K per occurrence- Min$3000

4. Pass the state exam-$250!

The 300 hours of ed takes 10 months at the community colleges and 12 weeks at a private school. Only one in the state and it is 10 hours a day Sun, Mon, and Tues!!!

To become fully licensed you must then do 250 inspections under the supervision of a “NJ Liecensed Inspector” Again your future competition!!

Almost every licensed inspector is requiring 2 year contract to offer your the supervised inspection!!!

Since this is primarily and owner operated business the constraints are significant to start your own business!!! The words "indentured servant "comes to mind.

BEWARE OTHER STATES!!! THIS COULD BE YOUR STATES NEXT PROGRAM!!!

PS: To be grandfatered the state is asking for proof of 400 paid inspections including 1099's!!!!!!!!

Maybe I should have taken up pimping ![icon_biggrin.gif](upload://iKNGSw3qcRIEmXySa8gItY6Gczg.gif)

Phillip,

IMO - that's outrageous! Now those are some real barriers to entry. It seems that no thought was given regarding persons with life experience trying to break into the business.

I guess if you're 18 and have a lifetime, you could give it shot. Apparently, New Jersey doesn't need or want any new inspectors.

You are right though, beware, many other states will be next.

--
Inspection Nirvana!

jonofrey wrote:
Phillip,

IMO - that's outrageous! Now those are some real barriers to entry. It seems that no thought was given regarding persons with life experience trying to break into the business.

I guess if you're 18 and have a lifetime, you could give it shot. Apparently, New Jersey doesn't need or want any new inspectors.

You are right though, beware, many other states will be next.

If the regs give us better inspectors and upgrade the business FINE!!
The state has inadvertingly given control to the inspectors!!! They have the abililty to keep new people out by refusing to mentor, high fees to mentor and difficult supervised conditions such as 2 year contracts!!!

Originally Posted By: Richard Lovecchio

TO all Home Inspectors

This is not complecated------its all about MONEY and POWER

Steps to take:
>Quit ASHI. ASHI is only for the MONEY and POWER. ASHI controls the state boards and the PAC money. Where does ASHI get the Money, YOU got it....your DUES. SO it is very simple,,,,,,QUIT. By the way ASHI spent over 120K for a study on BRANDING. It is a documented fact that only 7% of the buyers ask if you are an ASHI member. Being a member of ASHI or any other HI association does not make you a GOOD HI, remember that and you will quit ASHI

>Join HICAG

>Start meeting with you local Politicians ASAP

MORE TO COME

QUIT ASHI FIRST.....they are the ones killing us...You do not need them
Quit ASHI and stop these MAFIA tactics NOW!

Richard

Originally Posted By: jfarsetta

Richard,

I resent the "mafia" reference. Do it again, and you could wind up wearing "cement boots"...

As for HICAG, where have they been as of late?

Originally Posted By: ismetaniuk

This membership was a big waste of my time!

Igor

Top To Bottom Inspections

Glen Spey, NY

TO Joe F

I do not know you...but as I read your posts you seem to have alot of pent up anger you are venting in the wrong direction. I feel your frustrations. But try not to shoot the messenger. Are you an ASHI member? If not great. BTW I am sorry about the "Mafia" remark. IT will not happen again.

Have you diverted your energy towards contacting your local politicians? If so why not share your experiences with us.

Richard

Richard,

You're right, you dont know me. For the mafia reference, you are italian, as am I, so it was a joke. Lighten up.

As to HICAG, the remark was genuine. They were quite active a while back, and we havent heard from them. As to your state legislature and ASHIs involvement in the restrictive licensing practices, my views are well known on these pages. As to legislative involvement, read the thread on NY licensing.

As to the anger remark, again, you dont know me or anything about me. As to the "shoot the messenger remark", give me a break. What are you telling us? Quitting ASHI is fine for some, but is not the answer for NJs licensing problems. So, let's not be naive. Sure, NACHI is a great org, but as of this date, there is no alternative licensing proposal in place before Gov McGreevy or the state legislature. There is no movement in the courts to strike down the existing law as a restraint of free trade. Quitting ASHI will not get you a NJ license. Lobbying your local politician in NJ will not overturn the law. Only the Governor and judiciary can.

Joe

From the IMC 2000:

C8923.7.8
Cement boots shall be constructed in such a manner as to prevent floatation of persons (dead or alive) for a minimum period of at least two weeks. Refer to chart 2734.1.2 for proper counterweight to live (dead) loads, consideration for accumulation of combustible gases are built into the calculations.

QuickCrete (recommended if you're in a hurry) must extend above the ankle and surround the foot a minimum of three and one half inches. #3 reinforcing steel in accordance with schedule B and proper forms shall be used.

It is no longer an acceptable practice to stuff the victims feet into Folgers coffee cans as a substitute for proper forms. Feet may be formed separately or together depending on consciousness of the victim. ![icon_eek.gif](upload://yuxgmvDDEGIQPAyP9sRnK0D0CCY.gif)

--
Inspection Nirvana!

Thanks, John… icon_lol.gif

Joe,

Right back to you, I was also kidding. So now, who is the frustrated one?

Joe, lets keep things real simple. Are you an ASHI member, if so you should quit. Being an ASHI member will not get you those large number of inspections. Its your technical abilities and personalilty. Now, if I am correct you may have a problem with the latter. ASHI is using members dues to F___K thier own members. This is reality. You should take your energy you put in this board and visit your local politicians. Like I said I do not know you, so do not take this personal. I am drawing my conclusions about you through your posts. There is much anger in your posts. Your responces only prove to me that I may be correct.

Richard

I’m taking this offline.

I wasn't angry before you started your pseudo-intellectual pissing contest, but I can be easily pursuaded to kick it into high gear.

"Lets keep things real simple". Interesting. Everyone knows who I am, as my name, business, location, and backgroung are posted for all to see. But, who are you. Are you an ASHI member? Were you an ASHI member? I agree, lets keep things simple. You tell others to quit ASHI, and you post on our board, but I dont see that you are a NACHI member either.

Quit ASHI? I'm not a member, but if I was, who the hell are you to tell me to quit anything?

As to "reading my posts", I suggest yu check your facts before passing judgement on anyone.

And, for the record, I didn't realize that standing up for yourself was a sign of being angry.

Now, who are you REALLY? Your posts are too cute.

Richard Lovecchio

Replies: 0
Views: 8
Forum: Misc. Discussion Posted: Thu, Sep 25th, 10:28 PM Subject: Quit ASHI NOW
Quit ASHI now. ASHI will stop to nothing to control the industry. It is real simple...MONEY. ASHI does not care about the consumer. Thay have proven this over and over again.

Remember that ASHI ...

Topic: Pictures are a pain in the bottom
Richard Lovecchio

Replies: 1
Views: 21
Forum: NACHI.ORG Posted: Thu, Sep 25th, 10:23 PM Subject: Pictures are a pain in the bottom
Erby,

Did you quit ASHI yet?

Richard

Topic: New Jersey Licensing
Richard Lovecchio

Replies: 18
Views: 178
Forum: State Legislation Posted: Thu, Sep 25th, 6:51 PM Subject: New Jersey Licensing
Joe,

Right back to you, I was also kidding. So now, who is the frustrated one?

Joe, lets keep things real simple. Are you an ASHI member, if so you should quit. Being an ASHI member will not ...

Richard Lovecchio

Forum: State Legislation Posted: Thu, Sep 25th, 7:12 AM Subject: New Jersey Licensing
TO Joe F

I do not know you...but as I read your posts you seem to have alot of pent up anger you are venting in the wrong direction. I feel your frustrations. But try not to shoot the messenger. ...

Richard Lovecchio

Forum: State Legislation Posted: Wed, Sep 24th, 8:39 AM Subject: New Jersey Licensing
TO all Home Inspectors

This is not complecated------its all about MONEY and POWER

Steps to take:
>Quit ASHI. ASHI is only for the MONEY and POWER. ASHI controls the state boards and the PA ...

So, who is this guy?