New Jersey Licensing

Originally Posted By: Phillip R. Hinman
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Nick, I agree with the report writing issue. During my schooling it was obvious that the tradesmen struggled mightily with that aspect. I thought the course did a good job of explaining the urgency to be clear and concise. “Where, why and what to do about the problem” was drummed into our heads!!!

Fortunately I learned how to describe and deal with construction issues with homeowners through my remodeling business. I ate a lot of money early on not writing good specs for a project in lieu of descent plans.

We had some professionals in the class who had no problem writing the report so they covered their butt with the correct words such as "appears, could be" etc but missed some of the necessary details that a customer should know because they are paying for them.

I believe the industry owes the customer some expertise somewhere in the process rather than the "identify a problem" I hear from the non construction experienced people and the teachers of the course.

Thanks Joe for your thoughts on counting experience. The state of NJ and the board thought having experienced people in the class would enhance the schooling for all. I don't agree because 90% of my time was wasted listening to construction 101 from a Canadian textbook!!! And furthermore the 300 hours of classroom work was a ridiculous amount of time for anyone to endure! We all know the field experience is the best teacher!!

Thanks,

Phil

Just my thoughts!!