New Jersey Licensing

Originally Posted By: mdelgreco
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Obviously my efforts to calmly provide explanations to as to what occurred and why have not at all been successful.

My main objection to the law was the reduction in educational hours and field experiance hours, not removing the Associate catagory.

Opinions expressed in this document are my own. I do not represent the Home Inspection Advisory Committee, The Division of Consumer Affairs, Office of the Attorney General or any other agency of state government.

Originally Posted By: jfarsetta

As NYs law becomes active, I wonder what repricocity will be formulated between the States.

At the present time, what is the process for an experienced NY inspector to obtain a license in NJ ?

Originally Posted By: phinman

Mike,

With a deadline within site and a Committee backing a ridiculous interpretation you want us to be be calm like you who is in charge!

I still do not have a license and you have SOME influence over the process.

You and I have both taught the course. The course was meant for 21 hours per module not 30. Why haven't you addressed that!

I was approched by a PE, who is a home inspector and national ASHI techincal advisor who said he represented ALL HI organizations in NJ to sit down and come up with a compromise. If you call me I will tell you who it is. At the meeting I told him we would keep the hours the same and the 50 mentored inspections in place provided that ASHI would guarantee every student would have a mentor when done. He said he could not do that! We wanted the licensed inspectors out of the process for us to get licensed and we got that done!

Why haven't you answered the questions I have posed. If you want to be part of this group than I think it is fair for you to answer those questions so the NACHI membership can have faith that you are not just taking advantage of the powefull marketing tools here.

We support all of our members. I get many phone calls and I help all who call. I do not tell them that this is a bad business like you do.

Answer the questions or go away!

Phillip R. Hinman
NJ NACHI

Joe,

The new curriculum is not in place so one would still have to take the 300 hour course at this time. It will be accepted for the next 12 months in NJ.

I would wait and see what happens in the next few months.

I can tell you for sure that NJ will not make it easy!

Phillip R. Hinman
NJ NACHI

Important NJ Update!

At yesterday's HIAC meeting we were told that all Associates would be licensed as per the bill!

We had an attorney present who greased the wheels as they say and all has worked out for the Associates who once faced the possiblity of having to go back to school after some crazy scenarios.

There are still a few more details to work out for the present students but we have 2 of the 3 original problems resolved.

On another note Senate bill S2898 proposes to ABOLISH the HIAC and fold home inspectors under the PE Board! This is big news and will be interesting to see how it plays out.

http://www.njleg.state.nj.us/bills/BillsByNumber.asp

In the eyes of the legislators the HIAC, which consists of one of our illustrious members, has had enough complaints against it that the HIAC in their eyes does more harm than good for HI's and the consumer

NJ NACHI has been accused of pushing the bill.

After 2 1/2 years I will finally have a license! Others have been waiting longer. Any state considering the original law better re-think it!

Phillip R. Hinman
NJ NACHI

Originally Posted By: bkelly2

Thanks Brian!

Originally Posted By: rfarruggia

After 31 months, and 9 days before the deadline, I finally got my NJ license # today.

24GI000605000

Ray,

Congrats! I am still waiting although they said it may yet happen today!

I started in June of 2003 just months before I started this thread!

I think our January meeting will be a gala affair!

Rick Koehler our sergeant of arms got his number today 606 and Jim Hand our secretary got his on Saturday 588.

Phillip R. Hinman
NJ NACHI

Originally Posted By: jferry

rfarruggia wrote:
After 31 months, and 9 days before the deadline, I finally got my NJ license # today.

24GI000605000

Congratulations. To celebrate, I'm going to let you be the first NJ inspector to get E & O insurance under the NACHI program.

Originally Posted By: rkoehler

The state started issuing long over due licenes today. I also received mine.

Joe: I need to up my E & O. I thought the NACHI program did not work in Jersey yet? I it does how can I go fo it?

Originally Posted By: rfarruggia

But won’t our friends at FREA miss that $5K a year that I send to them? I always just felt that it was part of my civic duty to help keep the San Diego economy afloat.

No seriously, E&O is mandated here. I personally think it is a good thing and would carry it regardless. But all of us are hampered but the limited options available to us. I think we are down to just 3 producers, all with terrible premiums and high ($2K) deductables. It would be a boon to have more options.

As much as I like to support this organization, for me to bail on FREA, I would need comparable coverage. $1M E&O, $1 G/L, both per occurance, termite and radon inclusions, Referral Indemnity, Corp coverage and a fidility bond. Of course the maker will need a A.M. Best rating bbb+ or better.
I have no idea what it will take to get it approved by NJ's department of banking & insurance, but I'm sure that will be an ordeal. Anyway, I'm all ears.

rkoehler wrote:
Joe: I need to up my E & O. I thought the NACHI program did not work in Jersey yet? I it does how can I go fo it?

For you, Rich, I'll make it work. But you have to email me your contact info.

Originally Posted By: gbell

Joe

I ordered the E&O last month. I havent heard anything back. Should I do it again?

Thanks

rfarruggia wrote:
But won't our friends at FREA miss that $5K a year that I send to them? I always just felt that it was part of my civic duty to help keep the San Diego economy afloat.

No seriously, E&O is mandated here. I personally think it is a good thing and would carry it regardless. But all of us are hampered but the limited options available to us. I think we are down to just 3 producers, all with terrible premiums and high ($2K) deductables. It would be a boon to have more options.

As much as I like to support this organization, for me to bail on FREA, I would need comparable coverage. $1M E&O, $1 G/L, both per occurance, termite and radon inclusions, Referral Indemnity, Corp coverage and a fidility bond. Of course the maker will need a A.M. Best rating bbb+ or better.
I have no idea what it will take to get it approved by NJ's department of banking & insurance, but I'm sure that will be an ordeal. Anyway, I'm all ears.

Ray, the NACHI program underwriter is Lexington Insurance, part of AIG, which has an A++ A. M. Best rating. The policy is claims made, not occurrence [see http://www.nachi.org/bbsystem/viewtopic.php?p=185443#185443 for a discussion of claims made v. occurrence forms] and has termite and radon riders, referral indemnity. It does not have a fidelity bond.

You will save a of money with this program and it is important that the membership support this program because numerical strength will give me lots of clout with the underwriter.

Lexington currently writes about $5,000,000 in home inspector E & O premium outside of the NACHI program. Undoubtedly, that includes a lot of NACHI members who would experience an immediate 15% discount, if they purchased the insurance through our website.

I just returned from Boston where I met with the top executive at Lexington. He wants this to be a huge program. Let's not disappoint him.

gbell wrote:
Joe

I ordered the E&O last month. I havent heard anything back. Should I do it again?

Thanks

Greg -

Did you get a quote and click 'submit'? If not, you should apply again because there's no record of your having applied.

email me at jaf19118@yahoo.com if you have any questions.

Joe

Finally!

I got confirmation of my license. #612. The relief I felt was overwhelming after everything NJ has put us through.

There is a BIG meeting next week with an important NJ Agency to finalize some of our last concerns and possibly some other HUGE issues for our group. I am attending the meeting with our VP, Edgar Woodson and our attorney.

I will post next week about the results.

May all have a happy holiday!

Phillip R. Hinman
NJ NACHI

Joe:

I just emailed you my contact information. Thanks for helping.
Regards

rkoehler wrote:
Joe:

I just emailed you my contact information. Thanks for helping.
Regards

Rich -

Got it but I won't be able to get you a quote until next week.

Joe