Difference between IBC and IRC

Originally Posted By: Senthil Puliyadi
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Dear All,

Granted that I have not done enough research; that is the reason I am bringing my question to this forum. Though Home Inspectors are not as concerned about codes as Engineers, Architects, and plan checkers, I am asking this question anyway.

What is the basic difference between IBC and IRC code? Is IRC a subset of all encompassing IBC??? Please do not tell that IRC pertains to only single family homes, duplexes and apartments not more than 3 stories. I already know that. What is so special about the above mentioned structures that an entire, separate code is dedicated to address them?

In my five years experience in structural engg industry as an Engineer,I never had to open IRC. May be because, my company does not do residential designs.

Your opinions will be appreciated.

Thanks,
Senthil Puliyadi, P.E.

Originally Posted By: ckratzer

Senthil

Ahh but that is the basic difference.

IBC duplicates the IRC plus explains codes for commercial applications.

As a residential builder some of the information in the IBC is of no use to me because I’m not interested in commercial jobs.

Thats not to say I don’t keep at hand both code books,I do, but many small remodelers and even builders may not wish to shell out an extra $20.00 for a book they probably won’t use.

Cheremie

Originally Posted By: rcloyd

$20.00!! Please tell me where you can buy current copies of the IBC/IRC for $20.00. icon_eek.gif

Russell G. Cloyd

Intra-Spec Home Inspections

& Code Consulting, LLC

859-586-4591

www.intra-spechomeinspections.com

Russel,

Cheremie meant the difference in cost between IBC and IRC, IBC being more expensice, is $20.

Thanks,
Senthil Puliyadi, P.E.

Originally Posted By: ckratzer

Russell

That"s exactly what I mean’t.

I believe I paid about $68.00 for IRC and $88.00 for IBC my math tells me that is about $20.00 difference. icon_wink.gif

Originally Posted By: roconnor

The IRC includes basic residential requirements for building, plumbing, mechanical, and electrical work … so you would need to buy a lot more than the IBC to have equivalent more general codes.

You could consider a home an R3 Occupancy under the IBC (some provisions would be more restrictive), but that is just one piece of the code puzzle. Using the multitude of more general assortment of codes gets to be very cumbersome for typical residential construction. Typical residential builders have some difficulty buying and understanding one stand-alone code book ... forget about a whole stack of sometimes confusing general code books and standards.

Plus there are prescriptive construction requirements and some less restrictive provisions unique to residential construction scattered throughout the IRC ... such as the garage/dwelling fire separation requirements in IRC R309 and egress provisions in IRC R311.

There is a lot of good information about the ICC codes at this site ... www.iccsafe.org ... and they have a BB to discuss code issues.

--
Robert O'Connor, PE
Eagle Engineering ?
Eagle Eye Inspections ?
NACHI Education Committee

I am absolutely amazed sometimes by how much thought goes into doing things wrong

Hi Robert,

Thanks for your thoughtful message.

On a totally different note, I find NACHI to be a group of well-informed people and I appreciate the opportunity to interact with everyone. I can not understand why NACHI folks are seen as second class citizenry not only by ASHI (perfectly understandable) but also by Realtors.

For those interested, please see my posting at http://www.iccsafe.org/ubb/Forum10/HTML/001032.html on the same topic. Jeez, I did not expect this much political debate over this innocuous topic.

Thanks,
Senthil Puliyadi

Originally Posted By: mboyett

Senthil Puliyadi wrote:
I can not understand why NACHI folks are seen as second class citizenry not only by ASHI (perfectly understandable) but also by Realtors.
Holey Moley!! I didn't know we were seen as 2nd class citizens by Realtors! Dang, that explains a lot.

--
Mike Boyett
Capital City Inspections
Austin, Tx
www.capcityinspections.com