What is this in my garage?

Originally Posted By: hgordon
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Can someone please help me out here…these this are poping up everywhen in my garage…what are they?

They are about 1 inch long...

![](upload://74SqsONhUIpnPTApGw21LOxmNG2.jpeg)

--
Harvey Gordon
SE Florida NACHI Chapter - President
hgordon@fl.nachi.org

Originally Posted By: escanlan

Harvey,

Don't you recognize those??? Those are from the "genus politician". You got to watch them closely. They will slither into your house with stealth. Once inside they head straight for your wallet!!! ![icon_lol.gif](upload://zEgbBCXRskkCTwEux7Bi20ZySza.gif) ![icon_lol.gif](upload://zEgbBCXRskkCTwEux7Bi20ZySza.gif) ![icon_lol.gif](upload://zEgbBCXRskkCTwEux7Bi20ZySza.gif)

Manny (Emmanuel) Scanlan

Originally Posted By: jmertins

Oh… you have them.

Shortly, a man will knock at your door. Let him in, ask NO questions!! He will need full compliance from you and provide him any information he needs. The government will offer protection for as long as you need see fit. Being in South Florida you may be required to possibly relocate to the Upper Peninsula of Michigan, or possibly central Montana for some time. Do not panic this is only a temporary displacement for you. He will provide more information when the agency feels it is needed.

Good Luck Harvey!!

--
John Mertins

Baxter Home Inspections, Inc.

"Greatness courts failure"

Roy "Tin Cup" McAvoy

Originally Posted By: Mark Dudley

Looks like some sort of egg sac… take the pictures (and a sample if you dare!) to your local extension office, they might be able to ID it.

http://www.thehomeforums.com/

Originally Posted By: rmoore

Harvey,

My best guess would be that they are the nests of solitary queen wasps or hornets of some type. Think of them as starter homes for a single mother. You could expect them to expand as the family grows.

--
Richard Moore
Rest Assured Inspection Services
Seattle, WA
www.rainspect.com

Originally Posted By: Lisa Newham

This is a sac for silver fish.

Lisa Newham

Originally Posted By: kwilliams

good site for info

http://www.abcpest.com/houston/pestlibrary.html

# Silverfish are considered a nuisance pest. They prefer to live in moist, dark areas.
# Silverfish are gray or silver in color with three tail-like appendages projecting from the tip of their abdomen. Silverfish also have long antennae and flattened bodies. Both the adults and nymphs lack wings.
# Silver fish will travel long distances to locate a food source. Once a good source of food is located, they will stay in that same area.
# Silverfish damage is recognizable by irregular feeding marks and sometimes the presence of scales, fecal material or yellowish stains.

--
Member - MAB

http://www.nachi.org/convention2006.htm

Originally Posted By: Caoimh?n P. Connell

Havey -

Normally, I would tell you, but it might blow my cover...

Caoimh?n P. Connell

Originally Posted By: Frank Nihei

Except for the color, those look exactly like what we always had in Hawaii. They’d usually be found hanging from twigs, as well as protected interior walls like basements, garages, etc. There’d often be a very slim single thread like a spider’s, about 1/4-inch long and they’d just hang from that and spin or dangle in the wind.

I was told they were some sort of moth egg, but never saw what came out of them.

Occasionally, what ever was in it would "reel" the thread in and you'd see a microscopic, almost worm or slug-like appendage about half the length of the case (the yellow stuff in the photos above) which it would use to SLOWLY move from one spot to another...but that was very rare to see. At other times, the yellow thing was "glued" to whatever surface it attached itself to without the silk thread.

The ones in Hawaii were a uniform medium to dark dirty brown, about 3/4 inch long, less than 1/4 inch across. Exact same shape and curvature, though. Never saw any black and gray colored like this.

Funny thing is - I don't think I ever saw an empty one on the ground, so maybe this metamorphs into something else altogether?

Frank