Well Water Flow Rate

Originally Posted By: tschlotter
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

I’d be interested in hearing about how others inspect homes with a private well - specifically in calculating gallons per minute output for the well, testing pressure, and how you check the pressure tank to see if it is water-logged.

Is anyone currently using a Toro flow / pressure valve to get GPM?

Tom Schlotter
Allied123.com

Originally Posted By: rcooke

tschlotter wrote:
I'd be interested in hearing about how others inspect homes with a private well - specifically in calculating gallons per minute output for the well, testing pressure, and how you check the pressure tank to see if it is water-logged.

Is anyone currently using a Toro flow / pressure valve to get GPM?

Tom Schlotter
Allied123.com

Here in Ontario Home Inspectors do not usually have any thing to do with wells . This is separate from a Home Inspection . The responsibility rests with the purchaser to have a well person come in and do a flow test . they usually shut down the home from the well an do a test takes about 3 hours . The mortgage companies used to require 3.5 gal per minute constant flow . Most mortgage companies no longer get involved with water flow and quality

--
Roy Cooke Sr.

http://Royshomeinspection.com

That’s what I usually do - let the experts handle it. But I’ve been hearing that more inspectors in my area are including it, would like to hear how they approach that part of the inspection.

Tom Schlotter
Allied123.com

Originally Posted By: jspringstead

Tom: I’ve been using the toro flow/pressure gauge’s for 8 years or so. I’m on my 5th. gage now. ( they seem to have a short life span when objects plug it up ) I do a 1 hour flow test with 15 minute readings. I also try to determine what size the line feeding the faucet I’m using. ( this will have a great effect on the GPM ) As long as the flow stays constent, ( 5± gpm) I call it a adequate producing source. If it is dropping every reading, I keep on letting it go. As far as the pressure tank being 'water logged", if the well is producing 6 gallons a minute, and the pump kicks on every 30 seconds than you know the tank is only holding 3 gallons. Not much of reserve. But that also depends on the size of the pressure tank. The more well inspections you perform, the more comfortable you’ll become in making the call. Hope this is helpful. By the way, I perform about 100 plus well inspections per year @ $ 125.00 which includes a State Certified Test. icon_smile.gif

Originally Posted By: lkage

John, is the state certified test a water test that is done by a state certifed water quality lab?

Thanks, Larry

--
"I have never met a man so ignorant that I couldn't learn something from him."
Galileo Galilei

Thanks John.

On the Toro gauge do you have the control valve wide open or do you maintain some pressure in the system?

Tom Schlotter
Allied123.com

Originally Posted By: rwand

The easiest way is to take the garden hose and let it run into a five gallon pail and time how fast it takes to fill the bucket with a stop watch. The well guy up here will time the fill rate several times through out the hour.

Raymond Wand
Alton, ON

--
The value of experience is not in seeing much,
but in seeing wisely. - Sir William Osler 1905

http://www.raymondwand.ca
NACHI Member
Registered Home Inspector (R.H.I.)

Larry: I have in the past used SOS and Pure Water Works, now I UPS the samples to Lansing. Their report covers more chemicals for less $ and I usually have results in 3 days or so.

Tom, I leave the valve wide open. The object, I believe is to draw down the supply as much as possible.

Raymond, absolutley! Sometimes I think the bucket and watch is more accurate then the flow gage and have used it many times as a back up.

Thanks Everyone.

Tom Schlotter
Allied123.com

Originally Posted By: mcyr

icon_smile.gif icon_smile.gif There are ways of checking water rate flows out of a well and is well kept to the professionals that do that type of work. It is a specialty, and as an HI, you should not even attempt it.

I have and know how it is done, but personally will not get involved or attempt to inspect this work.

Marcel

Marcel

To do it up here you have to be a "licensed well technician" under the Ministry of the Environment under Provincial regulation.

They charge anywhere from $125-$150 for this service. Not bad money for an hours worth of work.

Fwiw.

Raymond Wand
Alton, ON

--

NACHI Member

icon_smile.gif icon_smile.gif icon_smile.gif

Raymond, sometimes Canada's regulations makes more sense than ours.

Here in Maine, if you want to be a house inspector, no problem, no State regulation.

If you want to be a well inspector, no problem, no State regulation.

Now we no why so many people get screwed out of their purchase deals.

Try to inspect homes through real estate agents and do a good job. You will be out of work in about two months. I have not figured this one out yet . When I do and have the time to dedicated myself to full time inspections these real estate people won't no what hit them. Even if I have to work for peanuts.

Take care.

Marcel

Yes they seem to license everyone up here except home inspectors. That day cannot come soon enough. Even the so called self regulating body can’t manage to self regulate itself. icon_redface.gif icon_redface.gif icon_redface.gif icon_redface.gif Did I say that? I guess I did.

Regards,
Raymond Wand
Alton, ON

--

NACHI Member

icon_smile.gif icon_smile.gif icon_smile.gif

Ray; I guess no matter where you live, we all have our quirts in the life cycle.

Marcel

Marcel: How do you figure testing a wells production being a “specialty”

that a HI should not attempt to determine? You can either hook up a flow gage or use a five gallon bucket ( or what ever ) and run the guts out the

well for an hour or two while your inspecting the home. If its rate doesn’t drop drastically ( or quit ) you can let your client know the well produced X amount of GPM for the test period. Either adequate or not for the size home their buying. I always let them know that the GPM at the test site is partially determined by the size of supply line. Hence, 5 1/2 ± from a 1/2" line is fine, as long as lasts through the test period. I don’t see where I need a “well man” to determine that. I performed several hundred well tests and don’t feel I’ve done my clients a disservice in any way. icon_smile.gif

icon_smile.gif

I know how to check the fluids and do minor repairs to my vehicle, but that does not mean I am a Mechanic.

Marcel

Originally Posted By: rcooke

jspringstead wrote:
Marcel: How do you figure testing a wells production being a "specialty"
that a HI should not attempt to determine? You can either hook up a flow gage or use a five gallon bucket ( or what ever ) and run the guts out the
well for an hour or two while your inspecting the home. If its rate doesn't drop drastically ( or quit ) you can let your client know the well produced X amount of GPM for the test period. Either adequate or not for the size home their buying. I always let them know that the GPM at the test site is partially determined by the size of supply line. Hence, 5 1/2 +- from a 1/2" line is fine, as long as lasts through the test period. I don't see where I need a "well man" to determine that. I performed several hundred well tests and don't feel I've done my clients a disservice in any way. ![icon_smile.gif](upload://b6iczyK1ETUUqRUc4PAkX83GF2O.gif)

Can you now stand up in Court and say how many gallons the well had a start of your test.
How many gallons the well had at end of test How big is the reserve in the well .
What are the chances the well will have of producing enough water in a dry spell .
When was was the last dry period .
How have other wells doing in the area .
What % of wells suffered with reduced flow during the last dry period.
I am confident in what I can do but I leave well testing to those who do well testing all the time .
I get nervous just thinking about being in court when the judge says Mr Cooke what makes you think you are an expert in this field.
Mr Cooke can you explain to me what a trickle system is and how is the best way to handle it .
Out for an inspection .
Not doing the well or the septic.

--
Roy Cooke Sr.

http://Royshomeinspection.com

icon_smile.gif

Thank you Roy; Ditto, Ditto, I could not have said it any better.

Thank you for making up my handicap language barrier.

That is exactly what I meant.

Marcel.

Roy: In answer to your question, can I stand up in court and say how much the well produced at the start of the inspection and at the end, yes I can. Exactly what my gage ( or bucket ) read. Do I know about neighbors or area wells? Of course not! My job is to inspect the house and major components on the day of the inspection. Well, septic, radon or home. Can I tell them how long any of these components will continue to operate efficiently? No. Of course not. But at the time of my inspection, they were either working and producing properly, or not. I am blessed to be in an area ( Great Lakes region ) with a very amply supply of fresh ground water. That does not guarantee that every well can produce an adequate supply. My job is to determine at the time of the inspection,

( providing I’m doing a well inspection ) that the well “is” producing a amply supply of safe water. I don’t feel it’s “brain surgery” type knowledge, just something you gain confidence in your opinion of after many years of experience. My bottom line to any inspector is, inspect what your comfortable with inspecting, if your not, don’t. icon_smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Jay Moge

John: How do you calculate all the variables threwout the house concerning water flow. what i mean is, if you calculate g.p.m with a guage or a bucket at an outside spigot you could get 10gpm. but at the kit faucet you get 7gpm because of the sizing of internals in faucet. or the shower could have a 1.6gpm “water saver” shower head and you get 2gpm. but if the internal pluming is all 1/2’’ but the main is 3/4’’ is there a difference in your report to the actual g.p.m at the main, or is it the “working” g.p.m. at each fixture. I too have been asked to test and document the flow of the house, the best i could tell them is that there are too many variable to accuratly determine presice g.p.m.s, but at the time of the inspection the working pressure at each fixture seemed adiquate for it’s intended purpose. icon_cool.gif I’m not trying to rail road you John, dust mearly inquiring as to how to approach such a situation.