Well Water Flow Rate

Originally Posted By: dedwards
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

I noticed this thread the other day but had to leave. Someone said they used the Toro gauge set and it broke after very little use. I happened to look at one yesterday at HD and the flow gauge has printed right on it not to exceed 30 psi. That may the cause of premature failure. I believe that this gauge set up was designed with sprinkler systems in mind, to check the flow and pressure for lawn irrigation. It may not be able to handle the kinds of pressures we normally find in public water and private wells as they can hit some fairly high pressures. Just food for thought.

Originally Posted By: rcooke

Brien Stratton wrote:
I just stumbled onto this forum, and thought I would make a post and share in the discussion. I notice that my post had a warning attached to it: this poster is not a member of Nachi. Well big deal! Why alllow people who are not house inspectors to post if they will be just ignored anyways.

Oh I get it, I will have to pay for a house inspector to check my well pressure for the house I may buy. I will go and do that right this moment. Thanks for the discipline. I guess I have my answer already from your silence. Thanks for your silence home insperctors, do you talk to your customers or just look blankly in their faces when asked a question. HeHe.

Brien as you can see you too are not being ignored.
if you would be so kind as too follow some of these posting before you make a decision.
You just might see that most Home inspectors only inspect homes .
Wells in Canada are a separate field and there is a lot more to doing a proper well inspection and flow rate .
In Canada it is usually done by a well man.
I have been doing inspections in the country where most are on a well .
I have never seen a Home inspector do a well test .
Please enjoy your visits and I am sure if you have a question we would be most happy to try and help you .
That is the NACHI way, we welcome all members and non members.
Most who make a post here also hit spell check at the bottom to help pick up any spelling errors they might have.

NACHI Where We all Learn

--
Roy Cooke Sr.

http://Royshomeinspection.com

Originally Posted By: rwand1

Brien

Good question. However several things will affect flow test. These include, well type, (bored or drilled), depth, submersible pump, or jet pump, recovery rate, static level, draw down level, et ceteras.

It may be the pump intake is not far enough down the well or that the well is not recoverying quickly enough to meet demand. You would be wise to hire a licensed well technician licensed by the Ministry of the Environment to assess the well and other factors. Most mortgage companies will want some assurance that the property they are financing have sufficient water to service the residence and will want a flow rate test performed.

Just my experience.

Raymond Wand
Alton, ON

--
Raymond Wand
Alton, ON
The value of experience is not in seeing much,
but in seeing wisely. - Sir William Osler 1905
NACHI Member
Registered Home Inspector (OAHI)
http://www.raymondwand.ca

Steven Brewster wrote:
Brien,
I don't know much about wells, flow tests, drawdown and recovery testing but found this article that may be of interest. Hope it helps.
http://www.drilleronline.com/CDA/ArticleInformation/features/BNP__Features__Item/0,3643,158451,00.html[url][/url]

Great site thanks Steven, I do hope those who do well tests take the time to read and study what is on this site.
This only confirms what I and others have been saying leave the well test to the well guy.
I am a good home inspector have been on wells for over 40 years ,Have had dug drilled and artesian .
Have been involved with many inspection on wells but I help only .
NACHI where We all Learn

--
Roy Cooke Sr.

Originally Posted By: kmcmahon

I just started doing them…it’s fairly painless, and no different than Radon testing IMO.

I take a H20 sample from the Kitchen or bath tap after taking off the filter, using a propane torch on the faucet to kill any bacteria, running the tap for 5 minutes and collecting a sample.

The flow test, is also painless. You can use any container of a known quantity and time it. I take an average of 3 readings after running the water for 30 minutes. I do the test from the valve nearest to the shutoff and run a hose to the outside. I also check on the timing of the well kicking on.
Collect as much information from the well as you can. You can also find information on the well from the county.

Take a class if you don't know anything about them.

--
Wisconsin Home Inspection, ABC Home Inspection LLC

Search the directory for a Wisconsin Home Inspector

Very good site with many downloadable guides.

http://www.ene.gov.on.ca/envision/water/wells.htm

Raymond Wand
Alton, ON

--
Raymond Wand
Alton, ON
NACHI Member

Originally Posted By: mcyr

icon_smile.gif icon_smile.gif

Kevin;
All you are doing when flowing the hose is verifying how much water the well pump is able to produce in one hour.
Did you determine the horsepower based on this input?

Their is no indication of how the well performed by your test other than the amount of water that you timed as gallons per minute.

When we take a water sample from a faucet, it is a standard to take the screen off and completely wash the spout and surrounds with alcohol. This is the standard way of disinfection. That also includes jars and holders for the water.

I guess my stand will be to advise anyone to stay away from well testing and leave it up to the people that do it for a living and know all about what the procedures are.

Hope this helps.

Marcel

Originally Posted By: kmcmahon

I use the standard method as detailed by the Wisconsin State Labratory of Hygiene…no alchohol…just a propane torch is recommended for sterilization.

The sample containers come sterilized with a protective sealed wrap around the cap.

Wisconsin Home Inspection, ABC Home Inspection LLC

Search the directory for a Wisconsin Home Inspector

Originally Posted By: Brien Stratton

Thanks for your answers gentlemen. It does help me. I have come to the conclusion that there is more to this well testing then meets the eye. It appears that a flow test/well inspection by a professional would be a wise thing to do.

I guess I spoke prematurely, and repent in dust and ashes...... was just trying to get some reaction (I guess it worked). Thanks again for the info. This forum can only be positive for your industry as the potential house purchaser can see the need for house/well inspections, so they can make a better decision on their purchase.

Brien

I could tell you some horror stories about wells and how two clients of mine were taken for a ride by a local builder who has constructed or altered wells, resulting in losses of thousands of dollars because of his greed.

Need I remind anyone who lives in Ontario of the Walkerton fiasco?

Raymond Wand
Alton, ON

--
Raymond Wand
Alton, ON
NACHI Member

Hey Raymond;

When you get spare moment I would appreciate you telling me about that fiasco.

Thanks, Marcel

Originally Posted By: Jay Moge

peaked my curiosity too. post it on additional icon_cool.gif

mcyr wrote:
![icon_smile.gif](upload://b6iczyK1ETUUqRUc4PAkX83GF2O.gif) ![icon_smile.gif](upload://b6iczyK1ETUUqRUc4PAkX83GF2O.gif)

Hey Raymond;

When you get spare moment I would appreciate you telling me about that fiasco.

Thanks, Marcel

Google one word Walkerton got me more info then you want to read . go here to start.

http://www.google.ca/search?hl=en&q=Walkerton&btnG=Google+Search&meta=

--
Roy Cooke Sr.

Hi; Roy and hope you are fine and not working to hard.

The link you provided did not open.

Just thought I would let you know. Maybe it is on my end, I don't know.

Marcel

Originally Posted By: bkelly2

opens 4 me

“I used to be disgusted, Now I try to Be amused”-Elvis Costello

Re my horror story with two wells.

Last year I had the opportunity to inspect two rural properties, buit by a local builder who has a very poor reputation. Both situations are very similar if not the same, so I will roll it into one story.

Upon arriving at the properties I noted a bored well, grading around the well was poor. So poor infact there was a pool of water around the well head. Being a country boy and being familiar with wells solely from exprience and reading a lot of info I pointed out to my clients that the wells were not properly installed nor did they appear to be done by a licensed well contractor. I instilled upon the purchasers to check with the vendor (the builder) about the condition of the well on each property. Several months later I was contacted by one of the owners and informed that even though the builder had assured them the well was fine they took it upon themselves to contact the Ministry of The Environment, who sent an inspector out. The inspector looked at the well and told them the well was improper and must be abandoned and a new well drilled. Well $9K later, ditto on the other well. Both parties had already bought the properties only to find out subsequently the wells were no good. The second property had to drill a new well at approximately $9K too. These were unanticipated costs, and as a result the Ministry is taking to court the builder, and possibly the Realtors who have assisted this builder with his sales over the years. You have to appreciate this builder has a bad, bad reputation and builds new homes with salvaged material. I have inspected many of his homes for clients. It turns out the two wells I pegged as improper are not the only ones this builder has worked on or installed. So now its gone to litigation and I was interviewed and had to sign a statment of fact as to my findings to be used in the prosecution. As of this point in time the builder is still building and I have yet to hear from the Ministry of the Environment.

The purchasers never sought anything from me for their own misfortune.

Raymond Wand
Alton, ON

--
Raymond Wand
Alton, ON
NACHI Member

Raymond; this was quite an interesting scenario. Good call on your part, I guess is appropriate.

Marcel

Well I did forwarn them before they purchased. Neither one came back and told me what happened, nor did the complain. I only heard about it when the Ministry contacted me looking for evidence.

http://www.nachi.org/bbsystem/usrimages/w/wellcasing.JPG

This is another bored well, it has a gap in the top plate, which is big enough for mice, bugs, leaves to get into. How much do you want a bet the bacteria test comes back bad? Will be recommending a lic. well tech take a look at this.

--
Raymond Wand
Alton, ON
NACHI Member

Raymond; Is that the well cap that I can barely see?

It looks like there are holes in it. What is that?

Marcel

The tree branch is hiding the gap. The gap is approx. 3/4 inch wide, because the lid is two piece. The top of the well does not sit well above grade. I would hate to think what could be in the water! icon_rolleyes.gif

Raymond Wand

Alton, ON

NACHI Member