Alternative Florida Licensing Thread - Unmonitored

Originally Posted By: jbushart
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

The purpose of this thread is to provide an unmonitored, free-speaking forum for anyone who wishes to comment on the efforts of the various special interest groups wishing to affect the home inspector legislation agenda in Florida.

You may say what you wish that is relevant to home inspector legislation in Florida. If you have an opinion that is unpopular, you will probably hear about it, so don't post anything that you do not intend to defend.

If you feel that there are people who are manipulating the agenda to further their own personal goals or attempting to put other inspectors out of business, you can say so and your post will not be deleted. If they wish, they can respond just as openly and freely, if they choose.

If you do not live in Florida but feel that you have an opinion to express on the subject of what is or is not happening, join in. Each state legislature looks at other states for precedent when writing these laws and we all have something at stake in what happens in every state. No one will be excluded from participating in this thread.

--
Home Inspection Services of Missouri
www.missourihomeinspection.com

"We're NACHI. Get over it."

www.monachi.org

Originally Posted By: jhagarty

jbushart wrote:

....there are people who are manipulating the agenda to further their own personal goals or attempting to put other inspectors out of business....

One name does come to mind. ![icon_lol.gif](upload://zEgbBCXRskkCTwEux7Bi20ZySza.gif)

--
Joseph Hagarty

HouseMaster / Main Line, PA
joseph.hagarty@housemaster.com
www.householdinspector.com

Phone: 610-399-9864
Fax : 610-399-9865

HouseMaster. Home inspections. Done right.

Originally Posted By: jschwartz1

Please Visit:

http://www.nachi.org/bbsystem/viewtopic.php?p=154867#154867

--
Jay Schwartz
Coast To Coast Home Services, Inc
www.Coasttocoasthomeservices.com
Southeast Florida NACHI Chapter - VP www.floridanachi.org
NACHI - Legislative Committee Member
MAB - Member

Originally Posted By: rbennett

Florida has an existing license for building inspectors

Lets all just get building inspector license and stop wasting time on a new law with more government overhead

Next the licensed inspectors will want to regulate home buyer consultant services

rlb

The lobbyist that FABI hired during the last session to push through HB 315 was Matthew Dempsey, who also happened to be the lobbyist for the Florida Coalition on Healthy Indoor Environments.

His success in getting the mold bill and HI bill combined actually seemed to work to oppose the outcome desired by both of his Principals.

Does anyone happen to know if FABI (aka the Home Inspectors Alliance) plans to use the same lobbyist this coming year?

--

www.monachi.org

So as to not mess Jay thread I am posting this over here

Yes, Jay I did read over on your side of the fence - still questions like when are the next meetings. - Will NACHI be paying for your gas? What about mine?? If you are marching as per orders from above then we should - otherwise you speak for you and not us. Same with Garry. Like what if you have a car accident while on a NACHI mission?

On February 2nd, 2005, President Bush addressed our great nation and in his State Of The Union speech said "To make our economy stronger and more competitive, America must reward, not punish, the efforts and dreams of entrepreneurs. Small business is the path of advancement, especially for women and minorities, so we must free small businesses from needless regulation and protect honest job-creators"

We are getting more questions than answers.

Proctoring

We must take a proctored exam once or once a year? This is for all new NACHI'ers or all NACHI?

There are firms that do do this for free. Trust me I have checked.

Bill support

Only one person of note had a problem with the old one - the Gov -
With the support that it had the way it was it seems like a no brainer to over ride his veto it the bill were to be introduced again.

Number of inspections

Why the H*** does any bill have to require the exact # of inspections that another org has as their requirement for full membership?

Education

There is at least one ON LINE school that sells a HI course. Also more than one higher education institution offers accredited online education. Knowledge is knowledge no matter how we obtain it. Just so we can pass the test. I have taken more than one college course when I showed once once for the final and maybe for very few other classes and got FULL CREDIT hrs. -- My point - lets get modern and allow the ed part (CE included) to be on line - time and big $$ are at stake here.

Statement of qualifications

This was in the old bill and does one thing only - Makes it hard for the new HI no matter how good he is to start a business. I can think of no other industry where someone is required to state in writing years or # of jobs. This protects the Sr HI not the public. This is over the edge.

People involved

I am getting burned out. We see the same people over and over again making posts. I would hope that some other have thoughts on these issues and the people who are trying to get there personal agendas passed. Nick is on the board of an org that has a position paper out on this subject. Jay has been blessed from higher up but his scope of work is not clear to me. He also has "inside info' that can't be made public perhaps because it would hurt NACHI's agenda. Gerry goes to the workshop as an observer (I hope NACHI paid his gas) based on who's marching orders. He reports to Jay?
Mr. Bell seems to know what is going on but says nothing.

Key players are members of other orgs. that might have different views.

____

Change the rules

____

JUST LIKE MAB --- YOU MUST NOT BE A MEMBER OF ANOTHER COMPETING ORG OR a$%. TO REP US IN AREAS WHERE A CONFLICT OF INTEREST MIGHT EXIST.

LETS HEAR FROM SOME NEW PEOPLE WITH SOME NEW IDEAS

RLB
HOME CONSIAIR
FROSTPROOF FL

Richard,

Like Gerry, Jay, Greg, and others - you are a Florida home inspector with an interest in the outcome. My advice to you would be to involve yourself in the process and receive the information first hand, just as they are.

You have as much right to attend a DPBR meeting as any other Florida home inspector. Be there and ask your questions directly to those in the department who are drafting the bill for the legislature - and let them ask their questions to you.

The NACHI Legislative Committee does not actively involve itself in the legislative process. Jay is actively involved as a Florida home inspector, just as Greg, Gerry and others. Your agenda may not be the same as theirs - and that is okay. The system can sort it out and make what compromises there are that must be made.

NACHI has no position on the outcome other than to assure that legislation is not association bias, does not harm existing inspectors' business or put any out of business.

Don't be looking to NACHI to do more than that. The rest will be up to you and the other Florida home inspectors. Jump into the arena and get involved for if you rely upon anyone involved in that process for information, you are going to learn only that part that they want you to know. It's only natural.

--

www.monachi.org

One other thing, Richard.

The legislative process in Florida is going to cost you something.

If you decide to attend the meetings, phone the representatives, lobby for the bill you want - it will be done at your expense. To my knowledge NACHI will not, as you suggested in your post, pay for you to attend any meetings.

Likewise, if you decide not to attend meetings or extend yourself in any other way - it will be done at your expense, also. You will be working to support yourself and your family under laws in which home inspectors other than you put together.

It will be up to you to decide which is the better investment. Either way, you pay. ![icon_wink.gif](upload://ssT9V5t45yjlgXqiFRXL04eXtqw.gif)

--

www.monachi.org

Originally Posted By: jburkeson

Richard,

I would suggest that as in all endeavors where the outcome is yet to be determined that you prepare for the worse and hope for the best.

At minimum, if you have less than 3-years experience and 250 inspections, then you will need to at least pass an approved test like the NHIE and have about 80-hours of approved classroom education. If you really want to cover all bases then you should consider a course of study in the IRC and then sit for the 4-part IRC Residential Combination Certificate.

As far as people being tight-lipped about this legislation and not sharing information, past history has shown that they do in fact shoot the messenger around here.

Not all associations are like NACHI in their position on HI licensing, other associations have published their position statement and are a matter of public record. In Florida if you are really concerned about what is happening in regards to HI licensing legislation then I would suggest that you become a member of FABI, they are only concerned with what happens here and need not spread out their resources with national licensing concerns.

Sound advice was given to you when you were told that there will be a price to pay whether you decide to get involved or not and like everything you will foot the cost of your own expenses as it should be, there is no free lunch provided, but maybe Harvey Gordon can get us a discount. ![icon_biggrin.gif](upload://iKNGSw3qcRIEmXySa8gItY6Gczg.gif)

--
Joseph Burkeson, RPI (Hooperette)

?Anyone who has proclaimed violence his method inexorably must choose lying as his principle.?
~ Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

If Harvey can get us a discount I have some dry land for sale up here just out side of Frostproof. Access is by air boat

Remember with no license the "underground inspection network" will be the rule of the day. Banks and insurance companies don't have to use "registered" inspectors - they call them independent contractors.

My car has enough gas to go to the state cap

Who else has any thoughts on this issue??

rlb

Originally Posted By: jeffghooper

Sound advice Joe, and dead on.

The FABI President

--
Jeff G. Hooper
(hooperette want a be) nachiBFD

The below link gives the dates of the additional workshops

http://www.myflorida.com/dbpr/os/hot_topics/home_inspec_mold_wkshop.shtml

The call in number can be used for people that can't drive to the state cap.

These are PUBLIC meetings

rlb

Originally Posted By: dedwards

A closer reading of the topics for discussion of these scheduled meetings indicates each one is slightly different. The next mtg on Aug 23 is regarding Mold Assessement, the next on Aug 30 is regarding Mold remediaton and the mtg on Sept 6 is for Mold Inspections and Testing. I hope the DBPR plans to have additional meetings on HI regulations for the State.

Originally Posted By: gporter

I would love to help out. But anything that says you must have done a certain amount of inspections is unacceptable. Education. Yes. E&O Insurance. Yes. No theft or defrauding criminal record.Continuing education .Yes. I have been a Corrections Sergeant for 20 years and only have to do 40 years every Four years to keep my certification. But I get 60 hours a year from my agency. My thoughts.

Gary Porter

GLP’s Home and Mold Inspections LLC

Orlando, Fl 32828

321-239-0621

www.homeandmoldinspections.com

Originally Posted By: Blaine Wiley

gporter wrote:
E&O Insurance. Yes.

No way. E&O is a business decision.

Any enacted measure should not put anyone out of business who is presently in the field, should not have a bias toward any association, and should not keep new entrants out of the field via unreasonable requirements, such as mentoring. Ensuring that someone is qualified is fine.

Originally Posted By: John Bowman

bwiley wrote:
gporter wrote:
E&O Insurance. Yes.

Any enacted measure should not put anyone out of business who is presently in the field, should not have a bias toward any association, and should not keep new entrants out of the field via unreasonable requirements, such as mentoring. Ensuring that someone is qualified is fine.

Definitely agree. No state in their right mind would enact legislation that would show bias or restrict new businesses.

jbowman wrote:
bwiley wrote:
gporter wrote:
E&O Insurance. Yes.

Definitely agree. No state in their right mind would enact legislation that would show bias or restrict new businesses.

E&O...Yes

What other protection is afforded to the Consumer absent of E&O?

John & Blaine:

How does E&O insurance create bias or restrict new Business?

--
Joseph Hagarty

Originally Posted By: psabados

A state that’s mandating E&O is directly making your business decision. Who benefits directly from E&O, The few companies that write it of course. Will they even write E&O for the new inspector? Then at what price?

Mandated E&O and mentoring. Two very bad ideas. Not only does it put a big red target on any new inspector, it will have a negative impact on all established inspectors. Mandated mentoring = indentured servitude.

Paul

--
NACHI Vice President

NACHI Foundation, President

Convention Coordinator

Paul:

What protection, absent of E&O coverage, is afforded to the Consumer?

--
Joseph Hagarty

Originally Posted By: John Bowman

E&O Insurance is for the protection of the Inspector not the consumer - is it not. Perhaps some have different E&O Insurance that specifically mention consumer protection in their contracts.

It is a business decision. It should not be mandated. It's no different than owning a home without proper insurance. A bad idea in my book - but a personal decision.