How would you word your comment? Please help NACHI!

Originally Posted By: gromicko
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

http://www.nachi.org/defectrecognition.htm

Nick Gromicko

Founder

dues=79cents/day.

I much prefer email to private messages.

Originally Posted By: Nick Gromicko

Please help us get this going. Here is the first pic http://www.nachi.org/defectrecognitionroof1a.htm

If you saw this on an inspection, what would be the shortest comment you would write in your report?

--
Nick Gromicko
Founder
dues=79cents/day.

I much prefer email to private messages.

Originally Posted By: jwortham

Roof surface at XXX has deteriorated and is mechanically damaged. This can lead to leaks and possible further severe damage due to moisture intrusion into the home. Recommend repairs be made immediately by a qualified roofing contractor.

Originally Posted By: sspradling

Damaged shingles noted in roof valley. This area will be prone to leaks. Recommend repair by a qualified roofing contractor.

Stu

Originally Posted By: mtimpani

I’m with Stu

Thank you, MarkTimpani

www.pridepropertyinspections.com

Originally Posted By: mcyr

icon_smile.gif icon_smile.gif

It appears that a roofing tab has prematurely failed in the woven roofing valley and loss of surface granules is evident.

Would strongly suggest having a Professional Roofing Contractor evaluate.

Marcel

Originally Posted By: djames2

The composite roofing material is deteriorated at (area) and should be evaluated by a roofing contractor

Originally Posted By: jschwartz1

Jay Schwartz

Coast To Coast Home Services, Inc

www.Coasttocoasthomeservices.com

Southeast Florida NACHI Chapter - VP www.floridanachi.org

NACHI - Legislative Committee Member

MAB - Member

Originally Posted By: tallen

The roof is in the primary stages of decomposition, which means that the roof is in decline and susceptible to leaks. It will need to be maintained and closely monitored, because it is reaching the end of its serviceable life, and you may wish to have a second opinion before the close of escrow.

This came with my software and I have not altered it, as it seems to me to be a well written narrative.

--
I have put the past behind me,
where , however, it now sits, making rude remarks.

www.whiteglovehomeinspections.net

30 Oct 2003-- 29 Nov2005

Originally Posted By: jhugenroth

Damage and excessive wear noted at xxx. Recommend further evaluation by qualified, licensed roofer.

Originally Posted By: cfischer

Stuart wins!

This is exactly what we're looking for. I need your ongoing help with all the pics in our Defect Recognition Tutorial as I am obviously not an inspector and don't have the knowledge that you have.

Here's our next pic http://www.nachi.org/defectrecognitionexterior1a.htm

Thanks for your help...

Christine

Originally Posted By: phinsperger

defect found and written up in a report should contain the following elements. The order is not important as long as the narrative has all the elements. The color is for illustration purposes for this post. The text in an actual report would be all one color.

1) Identify the Component
2) Describe the function of the component
3) Describe the defect
4) How the defect will impact the client
5) How the defect should be corrected (note: this is different from speculating on solutions)
6) Who should correct the defect
7) When the defect should be corrected (amount of urgency)

Example
An electrical wire in the main panel is reduced in effective diameter by being nicked. This may cause the nicked area to increase in temperature which is a possible fire hazard. Have the wire replaced by a licensed electrician before loading the circuit.

Example
The electrical panel is outdated and improperly installed. It may not provide adequately protection from electrical fires or shock. Have the panel replaced by a licensed electrician before energizing the panel.

Example
A supporting wood beam is not sufficiently supported. This will reduce the load bearing capacity of the beam. Have the bearing for beam evaluated by a structural engineer before putting any weight on the floor.

To use Stuart's wording
Weather protecting roof shingles are damaged in the valley area. This area will be prone to leaks. Have the shingles repaired or replaced by a qualified roofing contractor before the next rain.

As with any reporting style it would be advisable to discuss this with legal council before incorporating it into reports.

--

Paul Hinsperger
Hinsperger Inspection Services
Chairman - NACHI Awards Committee
Place your Award Nominations
here !

Originally Posted By: pbolliger

For exterior pic: Exterior 1a

Cracks observed at mortar/ brick exterior wall. Location ( ) . No deflection of wall visible at this time . Significant cracks need attention due to possible wall, foundation settlement problems. All buildings settle with minor wall and foundation cracking visible at some point. Recommend sealing cracks to prevent moisture intrusion and additional ice damage ,monitor for further movement and have a structural engineer evaluate for further qualification should the cracks enlarge beyond current size.

Originally Posted By: ftingle

DWI1a: Popcorn ceiling in need of repair due to an apparent roof leak.

DWI2a: Moisture damage to wood floor.

DWI4a: Deadlock missing bolt and face plate. Suggest repair or replacement.

DWI5a: Door closer not attached to storm door.

DWI6a: Door closer missing.

Good to see the defect recognition section is under way.
ft

Originally Posted By: thejnicki

Cracks in mortar are larger than common in size. Reccommend further evaluation by the appropriate persons.

Roof 2a

Drain vent pipe at roof. Vent boot is loose and improperly installed. Roofing shingles are covered with excessive debris aiding in diminishing lifespan due to mechanical damage.
Recommend licensed qualified roofing contractor to evaluate and repair as needed.

Remark on Roof pic 2A

I hope that is not an electrical service riser ?? Looks as if some conductors are zipped stripped to the conduit toward the boot coming from the weather head..

If this is the case then we need a licensed electrical contractor to evaluate a service to building.. ![icon_sad.gif](upload://nMBtKsE7kuDHGvTX96IWpBt1rTb.gif) Electrocution hazard!!

Roof Pic 4a

Torn drain vent boot on roof. Recommend replacement by qualified licensed roofing contractor. This is a water intrusion point and will aid in a premature end to the roofing system.

Roof Pic 5A

Water pooling observed on flat roof system. (location) Water pooling is an indication that a low spot is present in the roofing system. Proper drainage is necessary to maintenance maximum roofing and structural lifespan. Water pooling could lead to leaking and structural damage and premature end to roofing lifespan.

Recommend a Lic, qualified roofing contractor to evaluate.

Pic Roof 6a

Worn out Drain vent on roof (location) Improperly sealed boot at end of lifespan . Water intrusion at this area is very likely.
Recommend replacement by Lic, qualified roofing contractor.