Distance From Ground

Originally Posted By: psmothers
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

What is the minimum distance off the ground a panel is required to be? This is a service disconnect from an A/C unit. Besides being so close to the ground the cover did not close correctly and it was filled with debris.

![](upload://pP7Qz0AuslJoshwWmAaDc8iwAzC.jpeg)

--
Foxe Smothers

"Its not a matter of will we rebuilt it is matter of how soon..."

"A hero is no braver than an ordinary man, but he is brave five minutes longer."
- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Originally Posted By: Thomas Ogryski

Basically, there is no required clearance above ground as it applies to this installation.The only minimum mounting height that I know of applies to mobile home service disconnect enclosures.

Tom

Originally Posted By: psmothers

This panel was only about 4 inches off grade. If there is no requirement for a service disconnect like this one what about the main panel? Any height requirements on it?

Foxe Smothers

"Its not a matter of will we rebuilt it is matter of how soon..."

"A hero is no braver than an ordinary man, but he is brave five minutes longer."
- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Originally Posted By: away

Foxe,

I don't think there is a minimum height on service panels only a maximum height of 6' 7" and that is actually for the highest breaker.

It looks like minimum height could be covered under the NEC sections that deal with ready and safe access. That one behind the condensor doesn't look like it is readily or safely accessible. The same could be said for a service panel that was down near a floor. But maybe I am reading too much into those two words.

--
Andrew Way
Keystone Residential Inspection Services PLLC
www.keystoneinspections.com

Originally Posted By: joetedesco

away wrote:
Foxe,

I don't think there is a minimum height on service panels only a maximum height of 6' 7" and that is actually for the highest breaker.

It looks like minimum height could be covered under the NEC sections that deal with ready and safe access. That one behind the condensor doesn't look like it is readily or safely accessible. The same could be said for a service panel that was down near a floor. But maybe I am reading too much into those two words.

Andrew: I agree, that makes sense. I would, however, as an AHJ cite the following from the NEC:

110.3 Examination, Identification, Installation, and Use of Equipment.

(A) Examination. In judging equipment, considerations such as the following shall be evaluated:
(1).......(7)

( 8 ) Other factors that contribute to the practical safeguarding of persons using or likely to come in contact with the equipment.

Maybe something like this for your report?

Quote:
I believe that the ______________ is not installed to contribute to the practical safeguarding of persons using or likely to come in contact with the equipment.

--
Joe Tedesco, Massachusetts
Home Inspector Provider
www.joetedesco.org
necmeister@gmail.com

www.nachi.org/tedesco.htm
www.nachi.org/tedesco2.htm
www.nachi.org/illinoislicense.htm
www.nachi.org/jtarticles.htm