Mobile Home Inspections

Originally Posted By: jpope
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

I received a request yesterday to inspect a mobile home eusa_think.gif

I've never performed this type of inspection, so I turned him to another NACHI Inspector who has (does).

In general, what are the different aspects of mobile home inspections and reports, as compared to a standard home inspection? Are we looking for makes and models? In the foundation section of my report, do I record the tire pressure ?

I'm not looking for specifics, just general information. I've inspected pre-fabricated homes but never even considered a mobile.

I appreciate your input. Thanks

--
Jeff Pope
JPI Home Inspection Service
"At JPI, we'll help you look better"
(661) 212-0738

Originally Posted By: Blaine Wiley

Jeff,

Mobile home inspections are treated just like normal home inspections around here. I think we have as many mobile home developments as we do regular ones. Some of them are even gated communities! We actually call them manufactured homes around here.

There are no wheels on a mobile home, if there are, I would not do it, I'd call a mechanic. They should be anchored down with tie down straps. Treat the underside of the home like a crawl space, except that the moisture barrier is usually on the underside of the trailer. Most of them sit on concrete block piers as a foundation, and there is usually an area of the skirt to remove to gain access underneath.

The floor and roof are usually the culprits in these, especially in pre 1980's homes. Check everything else the way you would on a standard home inspection. They really aren't that hard. You also should check your local AHJ for any specific earthquake or hurricane, etc. codes.

Blaine

Thanks for your response Blaine.

I assumed this guy was asking about a manufactured home (pre-fab) so I asked him to clarify.

"Manufactured home?" I asked.
"No." He said. "It's a mobile home, single wide in a trailer park."

I guess I should have asked if it had wheels ![icon_biggrin.gif](upload://iKNGSw3qcRIEmXySa8gItY6Gczg.gif)

Anyway, I passed it on to another NACHI Inspector. I will find out from him what (exactly) it was.

--
Jeff Pope
(661) 212-0738

Originally Posted By: gsutterfield

Jeff

Mobil home inspections can be tricky! The foundation and pier system is determined by roof load. To determine this it is suggested that you contact the manufacturer. Greater roof loads require certain size concrete piers and blocks as well as a concrete perimeter or concrete block walls. They require the inner piers spaced per manufacturer specs which have been approved by the federal government.You also must be aware of allowances for hieght of blocks as this effects the spacing and ammounts of tie downs. Lighter roof loads do not require perimeter wall or foundations but inner blocks are configured differently.

Now for the real problem! Manufacturers are as difficult to find as is Michael Napadow icon_lol.gif

I suggest you will need to do alot of homework to properly inspect just the underside of a mobil or manufactured home

Here in Mo. alot of Hickabillies install their own unit without code inspectors and some have a real problem reading instructions let alone manufacturer requirements

Good information, thanks Gary.

I guess I'll take a course for this type of inspection before I take one on. I'll check out the market in my area to see what level of demand there is for them. This was the first "mobile" request I've ever had and I HATE to turn away potential income. ![icon_biggrin.gif](upload://iKNGSw3qcRIEmXySa8gItY6Gczg.gif)

Do you think Napadow will insure me for this type of inspection?

--
Jeff Pope
(661) 212-0738

Originally Posted By: Blaine Wiley

Gary,

Live load?

Blaine

Originally Posted By: gsutterfield

Blaine

Yes! I’m used to writing my reports so that anyone can understand them, thus I use simple terms versus technical icon_confused.gif The live load is listed in the material buyers recieve when unit is purchased but most people don’t retain them.

Jeff

Hell, The U.S. Postal Service nor 22 other states Attorney Generals can locate Napadow ,but if you could I’m sure he would sell you some type of insurance

Originally Posted By: ecrofutt

There was quite a thread on this on Inspectionnews awhile back. Can’t remember much but:

Terminology:

Mobile Home: A trailer, built before June 15, 1976, that can be relocated if you put the wheels back on.

Manufactured Home: A trailer, built after June 15, 1976, that can be relocated if you put the wheels back on. Must comply with HUD regs rather than building code.

Modular Home: Built in a factory, loaded on a flatbed, hauled to the site, and placed on a permanent foundation. Building Code rules.

Site-Built: Built on site on permanent foundation.

United States Manufactured Home Association
http://www.usmha.net/

California Manufactured Housing Institute
http://www.cmhi.org

Maybe one of these will help you.

--
Erby Crofutt
B4U Close Home Inspections
Georgetown, Kentucky

www.b4uclose.com

Thanks Erby icon_biggrin.gif

Jeff Pope

“At JPI, we’ll help you look better”

(661) 212-0738