P & D question.

Originally Posted By: Frank Nihei
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

I accompanied a potential homebuyer to a home she was having a P & D done on.

When they opened up the water heater closet, a holy stench emerged into the house. There's a possibility it could have come from a dry p-trap, but we were there a good hour before the closet was opened and there was no smell before.

Inside, was about a 2-inch pile of grey fluffy-looking stuff - maybe cellulose and what appeared to be rodent droppings in it and on it. This was in a corner near the heater base. The closet was closed back up to try to contain the smell. Both inspectors, the realtor, and the two of us all saw this.

There were also sugar ants on living room walls as well as the klitchen walls and cabinets. Ant traps and d-con in a few spots in the house.

Yet, the P&D was written up as "clean". Why? What would have triggered a documented problem, if those didn't?

I would think signs of rodent activity (what the inspector told us it was) might at least trigger a notation on the report.

Just wondering if she got what she paid $175 for.

Thanks.

Originally Posted By: lkage

Frank, what’s a P & D?

The smell sounds like rotting rodent maybe hidden in the wall cavity. Decon will do that.

--
"I have never met a man so ignorant that I couldn't learn something from him."
Galileo Galilei

Originally Posted By: Frank Nihei

Sorry Larry…

A Pest & Dryrot Inspection. Just got used to calling them that when I was doing mortgages.

Thanks
Frank

Originally Posted By: Jay Moge

sounds like they have a problem. are you sure they were “sugar ants”. there is a type of ant called “roug ant” and they are realy funny. not HA HA funny, but if you spray or use any poison, the colony splits and now you have 2…4…8… you ger the point. they look alot like sugar ants, but they eat anything, including dead animals. they like the fat and blood sugar. i’d call it infested. but that’s me. icon_cool.gif