Tuesday, November 8th, QOD

Originally Posted By: ajalowsky
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Today

Originally Posted By: jpope

Quote:
334.23 In Accessible Attics. The installation of cable in accessible attics or roof spaces shall also comply with 320.23.

Quote:
320.23 In Accessible Attics. Type AC cables in accessible attics or roof spaces shall be installed as specified in 320.23(A) and (B).

(A) Where Run Across the Top of Floor Joists. . . .Where space is not accessible by permanent stairs or ladders, protection shall be required within 1.8 m (6ft) of the nearest edge of the scuttle hole or attic entrance.

--
Jeff Pope
JPI Home Inspection Service
"At JPI, we'll help you look better"
(661) 212-0738

Originally Posted By: kmcmahon

Jeff,

Do you have an online or computer generated source for the NEC that you copy from?

Wisconsin Home Inspection, ABC Home Inspection LLC

Search the directory for a Wisconsin Home Inspector

Originally Posted By: jpope

Not yet Kevin. The one I have does not let me copy from it (it’s on disk). I can’t even save it to my hard drive. icon_confused.gif

Jeff Pope

JPI Home Inspection Service

“At JPI, we’ll help you look better”

(661) 212-0738

Originally Posted By: cradan

Is it just me, or was the actual wording of this particular QOD a bit screwy?

I don't have a current NEC; my crib notes (Code Check/Electrical) simply refer to the 2002 NEC, specifically {334.23}, indicating that NM cabling should be protected within 6' of an attic scuttle...no further information on whether the attic is accessed by means of a permanent ladder/stair, or otherwise. Thanks to Jeff, I can see that {334.23} also implies compliance with {320.23A/B}, which further confused me.

So, I ask myself...

1.) does a pull-down with installed stairs qualify as "permanent", and...
2.) when, exactly, would it be o.k. to run NM across the top of floor joists with or without protection in an attic, i.e. if it's accessible by permanent, or only by temporary means? If it's plain inaccessible (in which case, this conversation would be meaningless in the context of a purely visual, non-invasive inspection)? If it's more or less than 6' (1.8m) away from the scuttle/access?

I need an Advil.

--
Chris
http://www.inspect4me.com
Chicago Illinois Home Inspections

Originally Posted By: Aimee Jalowsky

The answer is???

6'

Chris - You need this along with two asprin.
http://www.nachi.org/tedescobook.htm

Originally Posted By: jjackson

Kevin

I downloaded a version of it when the NEC Forum was up and running and have access to it on both my home and work computers. I can try and e mail you a copy of it.

jj