Certified Master Inspector Curriculum develops in New York.

Originally Posted By: gromicko
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

http://www.nachi.org/cmimeeting2005.htm

Nick Gromicko

Founder

dues=79cents/day.

I much prefer email to private messages.

Originally Posted By: rdawes

When will the details of the curriculum be available?

Thanks

--
Ron Dawes - MAB Member
ron@performance-inspections.com

Originally Posted By: bmerrell

Nick-

If anyone can get it off the ground- you can!

I think it will be a great benfit or should I say an added benefit to NACHI members throughout the USA and Canada

Great inspiration and great oversight!

Originally Posted By: John Bowman

Bill,

Your on the committee aren't you? The email I got named you, Len Ungar, Deanna, and someone else from Ohio (Can't remember right this second).

What exactly is your committee doing with this?

Originally Posted By: Nick Gromicko

Nick Gromicko

Founder

dues=79cents/day.

http://www.realtor.org/RUnivers.nsf/pages/designationawarenessmonth

Notice the word "Certified"

![icon_lol.gif](upload://zEgbBCXRskkCTwEux7Bi20ZySza.gif)

--
Nick Gromicko
Founder
dues=79cents/day.

Being a curious sort of fellow, I like to know where I stand knowledgewise.

Where can I find the list of 350 locations to take the CMIE so I can find one close to me to schedule a sitting? Thanks.

--
Ron Dawes - MAB Member

Deanna spent 6 weeks contacting dang near every Community College in the U.S. All but a few in NY agreed to offer any quiz or exam we need for us as well as provide training facilities for any courses or continuing education we offer.

We decided to go with Community Colleges years ago as we already had a working relationship with them and it turned out to be the right decision as most people can find their local Community College easily and the facilities are very nice. We also chose Community Colleges for most of this project as we were thinking about turning them into NACHI campuses to offer college credit, which it appears we are now going to do.

--
Nick Gromicko
Founder
dues=79cents/day.

Makes sense. So how do I schedule an exam sitting? Whom do I contact?

Ron Dawes - MAB Member

. I will give you a heads-up about this… keep up with your online continuing education log! in: http://www.nachi.org/cont_education.htm as it looks like inspectors will get quite a bit of credit toward earning a College Degree from the continuing education they already took through NACHI.

Nick Gromicko

Founder

dues=79cents/day.

OK, so just to make sure I am clear on this. As of today, I cannot take the exam noted here: http://www.nachi.org/cmi.htm even if I don’t intend to use any variation of CMI designation but to just test the depth of my knowledge. Is that correct?

Ron Dawes - MAB Member

education option.

Bill Merrell is essentially leading the curriculum development project and so he would be the best to contact about the status of that end of it.

I'm working on turning it all into a course that earns actual college credit and so will keep everyone updated on the status of that end of it.

--
Nick Gromicko
Founder
dues=79cents/day.

Thanks. I interpreted the page about the exam that I posted to mean that the exam itself was ready and the colleges had already been contracted to deliver it. From what you are saying now, it still sounds like a work in progress.

Ron Dawes - MAB Member

Oh, I thought you were talking about the curriculum. No the exam is done and all the Community Colleges stand ready to administer it if that is what the course requires for graduation. The Community Colleges have also agreed to permit the use of their facilities for holding the course and to help me get it approved for actual college credit which seems to be likely.

Nick Gromicko

Founder

dues=79cents/day.

Whom do I contact about finding a local CC and scheduling?

Ron Dawes - MAB Member

Read my post of 10:42 am above. I believe Bill, Tom, and George are trying to put the first course offering together just prior to the Convention in Orlando. You should probably ask them about this first launch.

Nick Gromicko

Founder

dues=79cents/day.

I’m confused. The exam is done and the CC are ready to deliver it but I can’t take it unless I take the course which is not yet done?

I don't want to take the course, I just want to take the exam. Is that not possible? If I do well on the exam, then I don't need the course. If I don't then I will decide what education I want to take to improve my knowledge. That may include the CMI course but not necessarily.

--
Ron Dawes - MAB Member

member! icon_rolleyes.gif .

NACHI wants to make sure that we are not a part of that sleaze by interconnecting courses with quizzes and exams. See http://www.nachi.org/roofingcoursead.htm and how it is all intertwined. This refusal to create ready-mix inspectors out of people who merely passed one lone exam, once... was also the foundation of our thinking behind http://www.nachi.org/cmiformula.htm

Furthermore, something that is true of all exams that are disconnected from a course, many will want to only take the exam incorrectly thinking that if they pass the exam they don't need the course. This is correct to a degree, the degree that you achieve the pasing cut-off score but fall short of a perfect score. What I mean is that every exam has a passing cut-off score. Everyone who passes ANY exam, but falls short of a perfect score missed something, maybe something pertinent to their profession, but not pertinent enough to miss the passing cut-off. That is a big problem, a problem solved with intertwining.

Furthermore, even our built-in-intelligence exams which are far superior to other answer right you getta point, answer wrong you doesn't exams, still aren't as interactive as a course. The general lack of interactivity with ALL exams is a problem, a problem solved with intertwining.

And finally, many home inspection schools are teaching their students how to pass home inspection exams. They are not teaching home inspections at all. I can produce ad after ad proving this is their main objective. Again, NACHI wants no part of this. Passing our CMI exam will be a result of taking an advanced course (like CMI)...not the goal.

If you are simply attempting to discover where you are personally weak, we already have a tool in existence for you: http://www.nachi.org/qa.htm Members only.

--
Nick Gromicko
Founder
dues=79cents/day.

Originally Posted By: jburkeson

I’m fascinated, by the idea of an associates degree in home inspecting earned through our continuing education credits and advanced testing.

Nick, this is another brilliant idea that I truly hope comes to fruition, a fantastic benefit to the inspector, the community and our profession. Truly, good luck with this enterprise and please keep up the wonderful positive work.

Although we don't always agree on everything, your recent contributions in regards to the ancillary services program, the Citizen Information Center and now this, is what makes me glad that I am a member and keeps me coming back to NACHI. Now... If we could just work on a few other things. ![icon_smile.gif](upload://b6iczyK1ETUUqRUc4PAkX83GF2O.gif)

--
Joseph Burkeson, RPI (Hooperette)

?Anyone who has proclaimed violence his method inexorably must choose lying as his principle.?
~ Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

Originally Posted By: gwells

Ronald,

Our goal is to bring as many qualified schools into the CMI program as possible and as quickly as possible. Your educational choices will be wide ranging. We envision that there will be CMI educational opportunities in every geographic location in a realatively short time. Note, however, that I said a "relatively" short time. This is a big program and we all want to see it administered properly. We want to be very careful to maintain the highest possible credibility in the minds of everyone in the home inspection industry. It may take one to two years to bring on enough schools to have the classes offered locally to every inspector.

One of our first goals after the launch of the program is to begin bringing qualified schools into the program. We will likely need to recruit assistance from inspectors in every state and region to help coordinate the CMI program with existing laws governing home inspections and home inspectors.

Schools are certainly in a position to assist us with meeting local requirements but we also need the input of the NACHI chapters.