how do you write things that are recommended vs must repair

Originally Posted By: psiposs
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

A suggestion of safety upgrade etc, but not a requirement.

Originally Posted By: pdacey

Nothing I write up is a requirement as I hold no legal power over anyone. I am required to note certain items as “in need of repair” by the state. Anything that would be considered as “in need of repair” is numbered in my report. Anything that is just for the client’s information (like how something may work or how the bathroom outlets are all wired to the GFI outlet in the garage) are labeled as FYI to the client.

Slainte!

Patrick Dacey
swi@satx.rr.com
TREC # 6636
www.southwestinspections.com

Originally Posted By: wdecker

In Illinois, we are required to defect anything that is unsafe. I use current safety standards for this, the highest available standard.

Once recommended installation of GFCIs in a house that was built in the 70s. Electrician said that it met code (grandfathered) and they didn't do it. Couple of months later, their son was shocked (2 days in the hospital) in the basement bathroom. They called me and were angry.

I pointhed them to the section in the report where I listed the absence of GFCIs as 'significantly deficient' (a term actually defined in the state HI law as an item that 'does not function or is unsafe'. If I hadn't have called it out, what kind oif a defense could I give in court. 'But your honor, it met code.'

Yeah, right.

--
Will Decker
Decker Home Services
Skokie, IL 60076
wjd@DeckerHomeServices.com

Wow. Well done. I would like to read what people write in order of urgency. Suggested, recommened, in need of repair, significant’y deficient, etc. As a new inspector I need to get that down well.

Peter Siposs

Originally Posted By: bkelly2

Quote:
Although not required when originally built, all of the kitchen counter top outlets should be upgraded to have ground fault protection by an electrician, which is mandated by current standards and an important safety feature

--
"I used to be disgusted, Now I try to Be amused"-Elvis Costello

Again, outstanding info.

Would love to see a complete set of canned comments. Need to learn how to retrieve them on the fly rather than writing out.

Originally Posted By: jtroth

this is what I use

“safety level would benefit from the installation of GFCI outlets”

Habitation Investigation LLC

Providing Home Inspections in Ohio

http://www.homeinspectionsinohio.com

Originally Posted By: jwatts1

Speaking of electrical safety upgrades…

I go beyond the normal recommendation of GFCI protected outlets in the laundry, garage, kitchen and bathrooms, and exterior...

I ALSO recommend as a safety upgrade AFCI (arc fault circuit interrupters ) and GFCI - CIRCUIT BREAKERS in the main or subpanels I inspect...

I can't tell you how many realtors hate this one, at least on the seller's side. AFCI and GFCI breakers are not cheap! But its a great safety upgrade and back-up if the GFCI outlet does not function.

Justin.

Originally Posted By: wdecker

In my reports, I have two sections for each item (line electrical recepticles). The first section is called 'Inspect and Describe". In this section I describe the item as I inspected it, including inspection methods, what it is and the like.

If there is any problem with the item, I write in the second section, "Findings". Here is where I restate all the defects found in the previous section and make my recommedndations. If there is anything in the finsings section, it shows up in my report summary, for the lawyers who just want the defects.

I catagorize my defects thus:

1) Watch List - maintenance items "caulk around windows and doors should be checked annually and re-caulked as needed" or items that are not yet broke, but getting there "Roof near the end of its useful life".

2) Repair / Replace - Items that are broke and should be fixed, detailing what will happen if they are not "Chinmey flashing need to be re-sealed as a guard against water infiltration into the attic area".

3) Significantly deficient - Actually defined, in our state HI law as items that "do not function or are a safety hazard".

"Kitchen sink disposer did not work".

With safety, I always use current safety standards and totally ignore grandfather clauses in code. The state mandates that I call out safety hazards. If it is a safety hazard under today's standards, I call it out. We do not require, we only recommend. What our client, or the seller or their Realtors or lawyers work out in negotiations is beyong our control or scope.

Hope this helps.

Originally Posted By: rcooke

Very interesting we write up all the things that need repair and those that need immediate repair and those that need maintenances .

If I get called to do an inspection on the same home two years later most are not touched .

I only did one home where the buyer had the book open down stairs and he did the repair he wrote a note and put it in the book.

He had done about 95% of what I had listed in order of necessity, The hazards immediately on move in . Love people like these people.

They got about $20,000:00 more then other like homes in the area … I guess he spent under $4,000:00 Great return made over $16,000:00. plus normal appreciation.

He bragged to both agents on how great our inspection was and how he had done every thing . He is the exception .