New York Licensing .. based on todays NACHI Mtg in Albany

Originally Posted By: jrivera
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

rpaul wrote:
Dan,

My question is to anyone about this PL Insurance, what is that? Why are people saying it is required when it is General Liability? Just wondering? I have heard it for a while.

Rick

Sounds like he wants to clarify the wording of Professional Liability and General Liability.

Do they mean the same thing, will those words be interchangable and understood by others when papers are reviewed ?

Originally Posted By: dosborn

If I said PL in a previous post, then it was my error. All that is needed for insurance is General Liability… not E & O … I have heard in the past the term PL used as Property Liability… not Professional Liability… you will need for Licensing purposes… General Liability and you will not need E & O… Sorry for the confusion…

Dan

Originally Posted By: cpogoda

Joe Farsetta,

You wrote:

" Since you have passed the NACHI exam, and it has been accepted for grandfathering, you will be okay."

Joe, this is the only grandfathering I fall under. That means I will need to: 1) school
2) gather some liability ins.
3) send the state an app. fee of 250.00 and I should be good? No state test?

Originally Posted By: jfarsetta

Chris,

Have you completed 100 inspections ?

Have you gone to a school?

If you have completed 100 inspections, you simply need to take the State exam. If you have already passed the NACHI exam, it will be accepted.

However, if you have not completed 100 inspections, you may need to enroll in an approved course of instruction. If you have already gone to a school, your course is eligible for review by the State DOS on a case-by-case basis.

Which apply to your situation?

Originally Posted By: rpaul

Joe,

I have a two year degree in Fire Science and did a few building construction courses. I am also certified in NYS Building Code since 2004 and before. I am also have a National Certification for teaching Fire Science but did not take a Home Inspection course as you all are talking.
I also did 243 inspections in the past 3 years. I also took the NACHI online test. What do you think my chances are. A little nervous about being 7 inspection short. Just in case they go by the letter of the law and my luck.

Rick

Originally Posted By: John Bowman

Your confusing me Rick. Please read the requirements again.

Tag you’re it !!!

No, tag you're it !!!!!!

Oh darn, he got me again, tag you're it!!!!

QUICK RUN...... oh man he got me, tag....

I got you, did not, did to, did not, did to, did not, did to.....

Sheesh

![icon_lol.gif](upload://zEgbBCXRskkCTwEux7Bi20ZySza.gif) ![icon_lol.gif](upload://zEgbBCXRskkCTwEux7Bi20ZySza.gif) ![icon_lol.gif](upload://zEgbBCXRskkCTwEux7Bi20ZySza.gif)

Originally Posted By: John Bowman

Justo,

Are you all right?

John,

I was asking Joe if being 7 inspections short, do I have a chance with the education deal without going through a Home Inspection School. I did take the test online but I am still 7 inspections short. I know I still have a month to do it all in. This is not going to be a problem I was just asking his opinion.
I thought I was there with the inspects but as it goes for me a day late and a dollar short.

Rick

Originally Posted By: rcooke

rpaul wrote:
John,

I was asking Joe if being 7 inspections short, do I have a chance with the education deal without going through a Home Inspection School. I did take the test online but I am still 7 inspections short. I know I still have a month to do it all in. This is not going to be a problem I was just asking his opinion.
I thought I was there with the inspects but as it goes for me a day late and a dollar short.

Rick

Rick phone up seven of your friends and offer to tell them how to save money .
Give them a free inspection and WALA you have it made .
You also have seven friends who will tell every body how to save money with the information that is given at a home inspection.
Good Luck ..........Roy Sr

Originally Posted By: bmerrell

In NY State it is 250 Inspections over the past 36 months and the exam is waived

+or+

100 Inspections in the last 24 months plus passing an exam…

And the NACHI exam for members is acceptable

Send the state 100 inspections within the past 24 months and send them your passing NACHI exam THIS YEAR (Only accepted up to 12-31-05) and you are in! Period!

If you have 100 inspectiosn in the past 24 months and passed the NACHI exam which is a requirement of membership, that is all you need plus the cgl insurance. (that is general liability insurance for professionals- some refer to it as professional liability, but it is not e and o insurance as other state have mandated!)

Good luck- from what you have submitted, you seem to have the required items to file and become licensed in NY State.

If you have any questions, call our school at 631-563-7720 and we will explain how to fill out the application.

Much luck and success!

Bill Merrell-Fellow NACHI member

Bill is on the money with this one.

More than 100 inspections, and have passed the NACHI exam? You're in.

Originally Posted By: ahalstead

I have sent my letters to the assembly persons and will be making phone calls soon. Anyone hear anything from anyone regarding a possible extension ??

bmerrell wrote:
http://www.nachi.org/bbsystem/viewtopic.php?t=15252

I posted the law months ago. No senate sponsors- You can read it from months ago in Education- To date the law will go forward. No chance of an injunction since it would require a federal injunction since this has been signed by the Governor and passed by both the senate and assembly in NY State.

I agree it should have been phased in. I wish it was acted upon months ago before the session was ending.

Well, I think that's it in a nutshell ![icon_question.gif](upload://t2zemjDOQRADd4xSC3xOot86t0m.gif) ![icon_question.gif](upload://t2zemjDOQRADd4xSC3xOot86t0m.gif) ![icon_question.gif](upload://t2zemjDOQRADd4xSC3xOot86t0m.gif)

The date is January 1st.

! This is when this law was voted on.

If you are really interested in this, do some research on it. Especially the timing of it being voted on. Ask your own senators if they even know about this bill? You will be surprised at thier answers. It will be political but try and get a straight answer on it. If they knew about it before it was past.

We as Home Inspectors basically have to suck it up and past in all the paperwork. The foundation has already been laid out. Thank you to all of the people Joe, Dan, John and Nick. Everyone who has been working hard to smooth the way and make it possible for us with NACHI to have the paths open for us. Good Job! eusa_clap.gif eusa_clap.gif eusa_clap.gif eusa_clap.gif eusa_clap.gif eusa_clap.gif eusa_clap.gif eusa_clap.gif

Rick

Originally Posted By: bsmith

Quote:
More than 100 inspections, and have passed the NACHI exam? You're in.

Don't for get the required GL insurance. $150,000 per occurence and $500,000 aggregate.

Originally Posted By: fduemig

bsmith wrote:

Don't for get the required GL insurance. $150,000 per occurence and $500,000 aggregate.

Your right Bill, and that is the only hurdle I have left. I am having a very tough time finding someone to write it. ![icon_mad.gif](upload://j9pysYkUDeHxjgaVCpqL5B8x4z3.gif)

Fred

Well, I am stepping out of the Box. I gathered all my information and sent it all in. Now, I have to do the waiting game. I sent it 2 day mail with confirmation tag. I tried to call the state offices to see which way was the best way to sent in all the paperwork. What a joke. They put you on hold all day and never answer. The great state of NY. Really professionals. If I handled phone calls like the state does, I would have no business.

I guess because they are the state they can do this. We pay our taxes to be put on hold.

Does anyone know how long it takes to hear back from the State to know if we get the license.

Rick

Originally Posted By: dosborn

Rick,

I have the name of the manager of the processing department and his phone number. He told me they will expedite the licenses and expects the turn around in 10 days...... He also told me, if you do not have it back by the week of the 27th that we can call him and get the verbal # even though you have not received your paper work yet.... he assures me the number on your report is all we need at this time. Please contact me by email and I will give you his name and phone number....... They also do not want you to lose business because of paper work, so he will help us.

If you were on hold for as long as you describe, I can assure you that the error was yours and not theirs. I have been talking to these people for 7 months and have never been on hold for more than 2 minutes, and thats because I was waiting for one particular person.

Dan Osborn
dosborn@upstateinspection.com