CMI Cancelled

Originally Posted By: mboyett
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Ka-Boooom…wow, did that come out of left field or what. The cancellation of the proposed program I mean. I’m shocked, shocked I say!

Originally Posted By: jhagarty

!!!

Originally Posted By: bkelly1

Maybe Nick can chime in with the 411

Originally Posted By: escanlan

Quote:
www.bestinspectors.net for further information

Bill,

Is this something you are currently involved in? What is BIN??

Originally Posted By: bmerrell

Sorry to disappoint you.

CMI has been cancelled-

George Wells owns and operated www.bestinspectors.net and no I have no interest, connection or dealings with his firm. I was told his software was good, but I don't even have a copy of it.

John-

I wasn't playing tag with you, but if we were you should ask me about the facts before making statements publically. You are the Executive Director and should know these things. We have spoken on the phone privately, and you were aware of the CMI meeting. Why would you spread rumors about my school running and profiting from CMI courses that don't exist? You are working with the Dept. of State in NY as as such, you know how important the truth is. If you speak with Deanna, she will confirm that your posting was not true. Sorry to disappoint you.

Regarding Patsy- Is there a date sceheduled for this supposed CMI Course? A Price? Who is collecting the money? Is it state approved? Is it a continuing ed course. My only conversation, thank you for asking with Patsy is to let him know of continuing education regulations down the road.

Ask Pat if you don't believe me. I think verifying facts is very important.

Have a great day-

Originally Posted By: John Bowman

Bill,

Then perhaps you should set the record straight. All the information I received was from Nick.

Which one of you is lying?

No one said your school was being paid for the Florida CMI thing. Quit twisting words. I said that Nick told me that the school holding the training collects the money.

Obviously the reason I am asking all of these questions is that no one including your committee has consulted with or even entertained the thoughts of including the NACHI Staff in your meetings, programs, proposals, etc.

This my friend shows signs of impropriety, underhanded methods, etc.
Stop the bull and lay the program out to the members as your committee has it set up to the full membership so they can indeed make an informed decision.

What does the training involve?
Where is this training available?
Who selects which schools or individuals can give this training?
Are the books and programs available to others interested in providing this training?

Perhaps if you and the others showed the decency in including the entire NACHI Staff, these questions would not be necessary. You have now chosen to bring up my position to strengthen your argument. What in the hell is up with that.

This stinks.....and you should be ashamed of yourself. You purposfully have avoided direct questions of payment methods, certification procedures, etc.

Originally Posted By: bmerrell

Shame on you

Your messages serve only to harm those who volunteer their time

No NACHI Staff, who then is Deanna, is she a representative of Nick's or is Deanna a figment of NACHI's imagination. I think Deanna worked hard with the committee, and your comments were very unfortunate.

Nick never told me to collect 1 dime. Sorry to disappoint you. I never went forward with any CMI course, exam or program.

The CMI would be issued by Nick.

Nick appointed the CMI Committee persons. Maybe you should have been appointed as well.

Based upon the senseless abuse of your statements as the executive director of NACHI, I officially notified NACHI Staff, in colorado that I would not be involved in the CMI Program. I felt that persons, like yourself, without any facts, other than speculation have done a good job to stop the CMI program in it's tracks. Congrats- You did it. Now the membership will not have the opportunity of a Designation, nor the potential of bank contracts which several National banks require designations to become a vendor for.

This may open another box. I will next be accused of starting this so in my part-time I can steal inspections from other NACHI members. Also not true. I have no desire to take work from NACHI members. I have only volunteered my time to help NACHI members. Many have thanked me. You even asked me my advise and for an application to be mailed to you.

Why now, are you attempting to react as you are.

You are the Executive Director of NACHI. You previously believed that my involvement with NACHI was not in the best interest of NACHI. Nick appointed me to a committee you did not wish to occur. To solve your problem, I withdrew from the CMI committee. Now there is no CMI committee. No Course, NO Exam and therefore no meaningful designation.

Make sure the facts are correct. Was Deanna at all the meetings? Yes. Was I appointed by Nick? Yes. Was I asked to put together the CMI program by NIck? Yes.

Are you suggesting that Nick and Deanna are not part of NACHI.

Now, you have the responsibility if it will occur. You are the Executive Director. Create, formulate, develop and implement a program that will benefit the members. For years Nick has asked this of the volunteers such as yourself.

Decency? What are you implying? Are you implying that the decent thing would to have asked your permission to work on a project that Nick asked me to work on. Are you implying that Nick should not have asked me or I should have asked your permission before accepting a volunteer position which Nick asked me to be involved in?

I don't understand what your previous post was to accomplish.

You have accomplished your goals. No designation, no NACHI CMI and no designation in the near future. On the flip side, no lenders that require designations would be able to use NACHI memners unless they also are members of other organizations.

It is a shame that you are making this a personal thing. I think as the Executive Director of NACHI, which you are you should refrain from half truths which can not be substantiated.

Ask Deanna at NACHI if anything contained in this message is false. You will find that I am correct. Send Deanna and Nick all future correspondence. I have no desire to debate with you about a volunteer position which was involved in. I do not, did not and have never asked for expenses to be paid by NACHI for anything I have done for the organization. I would like all those who question my motives to be able to say the same.

Perfect,

Now it will go where it belongs and that is with the members and the Education Committee and not vendors that have a motive.

The membership should be very happy with your decision.

Thank-you.

Originally Posted By: jfarsetta

I believe that this discussion started long ago. With the concept of a Certified Master Inspector designation, cam e the registration of it as a trademark owned by NACHI. Along with this, came the debate.

What is CMI, exactly? Well, it is a designtion, like any other. It should have experience and/or educational requirements to back it. It will. Some should be grandfathered past the requirement to take any sort of course. It should be available everywhere, and not be left in the hands of a few. It should be meaningful, and attainable.

Above all, it should not affect membership status, and it wont. It will not be used on this message board, and such designation its use is limited to marketing information and materials.

So, how to make it real. Well, the concept is interesting in its own right, as there are only so many ways to inspect what is closed, in a non-invasive manner. There would also be an assumption that those eligible to participate has experience in this profession.

So long as CMI is limited to a marketing designation with regard to membership, is available through multiple outlets, and is based on education, experience, and a test, I see nothing wrong with it.

There was a working group set upo to formulate a program. It was designated as 35 hours. It has a nice mix of things in it, including some legal stuff and ancillary discussions directly related to what Inspectors see or run into on most inspections.

I endorse CMI, especially as it will help many members attain their 24 hours or required continuing education per year. I think that folks should calm down a bit and realize thet:

1) those who develop an educational program and teach it are entitled to make some money.

2) the CMI is an asset of NACHI. Its a valuable asset, which left sitting on the shelf, helps no one in this organization.

3) CMI will never affect a member's status in this org. We still have working, affilliate, full, and retired members. CMI is not an internal differentiator, and its use is limited to marketing.

4) it will be based on a number of factors, including education, experience, and testing.

CMI is here, folks.

Originally Posted By: Nick Gromicko

and Certified Master Inspector, development of the CMI Logo, the CMI qualifying formula at http://www.nachi.org/cmiformula.htm and the CMI Exam at http://www.nachi.org/cmi.htm …the CMI Curriculum was the next logical step in this long project, which was the main purpose of the NY meeting.

The idea was to eventually offer everything for free to existing home inspection schools so that they in turn could offer an advanced education option to the industry (for a fee paid to the school of course). We are all sick of plumbing 101 courses and you can't expect our veterans to sit through another boring 101 course.

This would help the schools that work with NACHI because NACHI has the ability to pack classrooms. This would help NACHI of course as the CMI is a NACHI professional designation. This would help the industry as I have already (pre-maturely as usual) negotiated even further E&O insurance discounts for graduates. This would help the states that offer licensing as they are prohibiting licensees from repeating the same old basic home inspection continuing education. This would help our members as it would offer them an ADVANCED education option, something that is not readily available now.

Joe Farsetta Chairs Professional Development and so he should chime in here.

Just a side note with regard to Deanna, staff and me… we view CMI as we do any other NACHI project. Many of our projects take years of work before they are ready to launch. Projects at NACHI can be viewed as products (not projects). Some are sitting on shelves in our warehouse, some are being test driven, some are being packaged and released, some are still on the drawing board. In the case of this particular product (CMI Curriculum) Deanna enlisted the help of several NACHI members to help complete it.

From a business model view, our projects are much like an inventory of products in various stages of the manufacturing process.

Originally Posted By: jeffghooper

You got the message!

Originally Posted By: dwillis

deleted

Originally Posted By: dwillis

NACHI’s office operates like a manufacturing plant of parallel assembly lines. Exactly like one.

An assembly line without coffee or cigarette breaks icon_lol.gif .

Anyway... if Bill Merrell holds a CMI course in NY, I'm going to be in the front row.

Originally Posted By: rmyers1

are NACHI. Possibly they are in other States ?

What goes?

I guess I would question, how this organization got the go ahead to present NACHI's coveted CMI program. to anyone.

Why are we apparently going outside NACHI for this program?

Quote:
We believe that fees, like taxes, deter professional development and that the best way to encourage the continuing education of our membership is by supporting variety, accessibility and affordability in educational options.

This CMI program lost all credibility in my eyes when it was taken over by vendors, who have now commercialized it and placed a price on its head. It goes against everything that NACHI has stood up for in the past. See Nick's quote above.

Originally Posted By: lungar

Nick I am glad to see that you are steping up to the plate about the commitee you selected for the CMI program.

I truly hope Bill see fit to come back into the CMI program.

John from the getgo you didn't want the CMI and you said so on the B/B but to stoop as low as you did by saying things about someone on the B/B
which are not true you should get your facts straight. All you had to do was call Nachi or bill before hand. You called bill when you wanted something from him, why didn't you call him before posting your garbage?

John now you are saying that the CMI is in the right hands, first you don't want it, but know it's OK as long as you give your blessing. Boy are you a winner. I think your title has gone to your head, just my thoughts but I think others might also agree with me.

I really get a kick out of some of my fellow members, like it has been said before when you read something on the B/B and you don't agree with it move on. If you think it will help you ask more about it, but I can't understand why anyone would trash something that they are not interested in OH!! WAIT I KNOW they have nothing else to do with there time so why not create havoc within ourselves.

I'm going to stop for now because I don't want to get like the other moners and groners, I think I have said my piece for know.

Regards Len

ok Len,

Quote my post where I trashed Mr. Merrill.

Secondly,

I am against the designation, not the program. Please don't twist my words.

Originally Posted By: lungar

John,Russell;

Any courses that Nachi has done for the membership is OK as long as the members don’t have to pay, is that what your saying?? Well guys who do you think pays the instructors, the couple of seminars that we did on Long Island were great but the instuctors did get paid. You tell me what’s the differance if Nachi picks up the shortage or the attendees they still have to get paid, just like you when you do something for someone.

Theres nothing for nothing in this world. one way or the other someone has to get paid, the instuctors,rent for the room,food,drinks,materials for the course. Don’t you think that the people that write and teach the courses should get something for there time.

John do you pay all your expenses when you travel for Nachi ????????? [ I DON'T THINK SO ] so what is it, do as I say, not what you say !!!!!!!!!