CMI Cancelled

Originally Posted By: jrivera
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

rbennett wrote:
Don't you think your client has a right to know your background??

Perhaps they have the right but not through NACHI -- How do you feel about a service person in your home when you are not there without a BI check?

rlb

Oh heck don't you people think you're going overboard with this!!!

Next thing you know you'll be suspicious of everybody.

Man, I think the gas attendant put something in my tank.........
Hey, why is the newspaper delivery boy riding his bike up and down the block.

"Are you oil delivery guy?"

"Why yes sir, I sure am."

"Good, let me make a copy of your license and place your thumb print in this corner of my Sherlock Holmes identity kit card. Because hey, you never know"

That gives me an idea!!!

Why don't I get my private investigators license and I could be the official Background Investigator To Check Him type guy!!!

Instead of an H.I. I could be a P.I.

Originally Posted By: bmerrell

Mick-

I would say you are nuts, but based upon the way the thread is going I vote for you to be the PI and investigate all the NACHI membership who want a CMI

What if they were criminals? Do they remain NACHI members- Do we have 2 sets of members, those with criminal records and those without criminal records-

Only trying to make a point, but the way the thread is going you never know

The gas station attendant is already a criminal if you count the prices we paid this year for gas- not eligible for a CMI designation.

Oh,oh does that mean I would have to get a background check in order to check ???

Uuuummmm ????

Originally Posted By: rbennett

OK

Yes -- I am a little overboard here -- but word has it that one of the problems (small) about getting inspectors (NACHI members) to do insurance work in Florida was that of BI checks

The last company that I was with -- (Here in FL) BI and drug testing was the rule -- be a member of the USN, Army, National Guard, etc. drug and BI checks are the word of the day

Want to drive a tow truck?? it is CDL time -- Want to go across a state line it is DOT doctor time -- Get hurt on the job for posible workers comp and it is drug testing time

Oh yes -- one of our problems with paying our people was that we wanted everyone to have direct deposit at their bank so we could get them their pay checks

Problem - some of our people had such bad credit that they could not get a bank account!!! --- These are people who are going to be the HIs of tomarrow

They will be the chapter pres, instructors, E and O insurance sales people etc.

A BI is like a good contract -- a good check -- good business

rlb

Originally Posted By: escanlan

Quote:
Wonder what the cost would be??? I do think you have a good idea

I think the subject is open and aditional info is in order

Richard,

ChoicePoint, www.chhoicepoint.com , is the big gun in this area and they charge $25 for a report on yourself. The problem is that there are over 300 companies now that provide this type of service. Around 20 are big players but any of the 300 can have information in storage about you. Another problem is it can all be conflicting with each other.

For anyone that is interested in this topic, and it is important these days, you can find a wealth of information about this and many other important things at www.privacyrights.org . I highly recommend on your next lull to browse that site for a real eye opener!!!

--
Manny (Emmanuel) Scanlan

Knowledge is power, but sharing knowledge brings peace!

Thank you

Looks like something I will be some time checking out

rlb

Man, just when I thought I was gonna corner the market in the squared circle.

I was going global you know, stocks, shares and everything, oh well

Then New York Home Inspectors will not have a problem. The state checks your background, asks you specific questions and verifies same in the NY computer system- I believed other states did the same thing? Maybe not!

The only way to fix the problem is to start all over. Everyone must be enroll in NACHI after they have been checked out- but the real question is who is doing the checking and who determines of the check comes back okay?

I am in favor of background checks, and have had many over the years with banks I have worked with and even banks that have their employees take my courses required background checks in advance. Before I worked with the Federal Reserve Bank as a consultant on a Criminal matter, there did a fetailed background check.

Requiring a background check to join a club? Not the same thing!

And Mickey-

You check your background, and if you find it's okay (which I believe) then you can be the official checker. Anyone interested in being checked, contact Mickey Rivera= 3 posts back- I am sure he could check your background better than I can!

![icon_biggrin.gif](upload://iKNGSw3qcRIEmXySa8gItY6Gczg.gif) ![icon_biggrin.gif](upload://iKNGSw3qcRIEmXySa8gItY6Gczg.gif) ![icon_biggrin.gif](upload://iKNGSw3qcRIEmXySa8gItY6Gczg.gif) ![icon_biggrin.gif](upload://iKNGSw3qcRIEmXySa8gItY6Gczg.gif) ![icon_biggrin.gif](upload://iKNGSw3qcRIEmXySa8gItY6Gczg.gif) ![icon_biggrin.gif](upload://iKNGSw3qcRIEmXySa8gItY6Gczg.gif) ![icon_biggrin.gif](upload://iKNGSw3qcRIEmXySa8gItY6Gczg.gif) ![icon_biggrin.gif](upload://iKNGSw3qcRIEmXySa8gItY6Gczg.gif) ![icon_biggrin.gif](upload://iKNGSw3qcRIEmXySa8gItY6Gczg.gif)

This is what Mickey has for those who don't pass the background check!

I did the same thing with “clap off” and some one did “clap on”

-- I wonder who did -- "help I am falling'

All joking aside -- BI's is a subject that is part of our profession because we are in a person's home. The local PD has to have more BI than we do to do the same thing. --- I know different reasons - but looking at a lot of the same things

rlb

Don’t forget to vote if a criminal background check should be instituted-

We will tally the votes and present the answers to NACHI- should we institute criminal background checks for evry committee, every member, and everytime we volunteer for something.

This could get interesting-

Bill

This is a time not spent well

BI is an HI issue but not a NACHI issue

rlb

but what does all of this have to do with the fact that a course was cancelled?

I was just going along for the ride-

If the Background check issue is that important, which is actually is, it should be addressed in it;s own link, and in a members only section, rather than being aired in a section regarding the CMI course being cancelled- That is why I created a joke thread to see what some members believe, and last I saw they are, as I did take it as a joke to add humor in the air. Everyone was getting much too upset about something that had nothing to do with this thread. Talk about off topic.

I would be happy to help you, if you want to set up criteria for those inspectors who want to show that they are free of criminal records, past or present.

NY State will not allow someone with a criminal record to apply for a license without the state doing a thorough investigation to determine if the person in question should be allowed to become licensed. We should leave it in the hands of the state in states where licensing exists!

Originally Posted By: jfarsetta

Man, oh, man…

Stay off the board for a day and watch all Hell break loose.

There will be no background check for CMI designees, nor for NACHI membership. This entire discussion is absurd.

First of all, a background check was never a requirement of membership in this organization. It was discused on this board, I believe, long ago, and the answer is the same now, as it was then. NO.

CMI is not tied to a governmental entity, licensing, fidelity bonding, insurance, NACHI liability, etc. Background checks are something which may be legitimized by banking institutions, employers, State or Federal agencies, etc. NACHI is none of those.

If it is not in the membership requirements, NACHI will not change those requirements for CMI. We cant. We wont.

I hope this stops this issue in its tracks.

Originally Posted By: jburkeson

rbennett wrote:
A good inspector might be a: bad driver - business person - typist - lover -sexual etc. --- Might even be ugly and over weight

I am for the background check if I get extra points for being good in some of the above. --

A HI inspects homes -- we do not question our clients about where they get the $$ or where they go to church or who they live with and why. We take their $$ and provide a professional service.

BI's are what has been done yesterday - what is going to be done today is what counts.

Now for a "little sense" -- welcome to the new world -- If we do work for certain clients -- schools - insurance companies - banks - the government etc. -- BI's -- credit checks etc. are required

So for NACHI MEMBERSHIP to talk about this issue is a good thing. If we are going to be the leader and a very open org lets get some of these issues on the table without calling each other A S S holes -- I think that a HI company that has many HI's on staff is bending over big time if they do not do BI's on their people -- so why would it not be proper for the one man company to be able to say to a client that he meets or passes the standards of his or her competitor??

I would pay for a BI on myself through NACHI so that my clients knew that I was trustworthy to be in their home and around their young kids (16 year old daughter -- dog -- 22 year old wife etc.)

Items of this nature might be good additions to our SOP

"I will not enter into a space that might be a hazard to me or my client"

Well --

Time for open BI time on the board -- who thinks this is a bad idea??

Boy I wish there was something good on TV!!!

rlb

rlb

If your clients should ever question your trustworthiness, do like I do... Just whip out your trusty Florida Conceal-Carry Permit, puts a smile on their face every time. ![icon_mrgreen.gif](upload://tbe1CncrrOs48cXpHvziOT8r0T3.gif)

--
Joseph Burkeson, RPI (Hooperette)

?Anyone who has proclaimed violence his method inexorably must choose lying as his principle.?
~ Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

We are on page 9- the CMI course was cancelled-

The major reaon for the background check issue was a uqestion by one of the members stating it should be included. The rest is history.

To be fair, if no further comment is made regading background checks, which had nothing to do with this thread, I will, as many will allow this thread to fade away and it should have pages ago.

Joe, Bill and Joe

Good morning - I agree

I don't see TV getting any better

rlb

Originally Posted By: jfarsetta

For anyone who may be interested, Bill is a good guy, but does not speak or NACHI, and as Director of Professional Development for this organization, I am telling the membership that CMI is far from dead, and will be formally announced in coming weeks, not months.

I stated this back a few pages.

Originally Posted By: jbushart

- Fred F. Flashlyte, a CMI (Certified Master Inspector) by the National Association of Certified Home Inspectors was taken into custody today and charged with the rape of Helen Homebuyer, the wife of Herbert Homebuyer who contracted him to do a home inspection, recently.

Mr. Homebuyer has stated that he selected Flashlyte over all other home inspectors due to his designation as a "master inspector" and felt that the designation provided by NACHI indicated that he could be trusted. Little did he know that Flashlyte had two prior felony convictions for burglary and rape. "I would think that a professional association would be more selective in who they chose to represent their highest level of inspector," says Homeowner.

Len Ungar, a member of NACHI, argued that Mr. Homebuyer had no business looking into the past of his dear friend, Fred Flashlyte. "I never liked that creep, Mr. Homebuyer, and I think that he should not be allowed to speak on this subject. He is a jerk and a puke and his wife is ugly and probably liked it, anyway," said Ungar, as his attendant tightened the straps on his straight jacket...

While Nick Gromicko, the chairman of NACHI's Board of Directors was unavailable for comment, Greg Bell and Joe Burkeson were, but no one cared.

jbushart wrote:
Len,

Nothing has "shut me up", but boredom. Same creeps with the same craps. I don't see how Nick does it.

If I were to invest whatever it will be that I will be asked to invest in order to achieve a distinctive level that is supposed to set me apart from other home inspectors, I will be worse off when a news report makes the rounds that:

"Certified Master Inspector Uses Home Inspections to Case Homes for Burglary - Fred F. Flashlyte, a CMI (Certified Master Inspector) by the National Association of Certified Home Inspectors was taken into custody today and charged with the rape of Helen Homebuyer, the wife of Herbert Homebuyer who contracted him to do a home inspection, recently.

Mr. Homebuyer has stated that he selected Flashlyte over all other home inspectors due to his designation as a "master inspector" and felt that the designation provided by NACHI indicated that he could be trusted. Little did he know that Flashlyte had two prior felony convictions for burglary and rape. "I would think that a professional association would be more selective in who they chose to represent their highest level of inspector," says Homeowner.

Len Ungar, a member of NACHI, argued that Mr. Homebuyer had no business looking into the past of his dear friend, Fred Flashlyte. "I never liked that creep, Mr. Homebuyer, and I think that he should not be allowed to speak on this subject. He is a jerk and a puke and his wife is ugly and probably liked it, anyway."

What does this have to do with the CMI course being cancelled ???

Lets wake up and take your skull out of your back pocket !!!