CMI Cancelled

Originally Posted By: jfarsetta
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

I am neither against the program, nor against the designation. What is the advantage of it, if not for the fact that an inspector could use the title?

As to going outside of NACHI for this, its not the first time, nor will it be the last, I'm afraid.

I believe CATS doesnt train for free. We pay for People's Energy to train folks in Illinois. On and on. I think that the really important item to consider is that the venue for receiving this educational program be made through multiple outlets, operating within a general framework of course curriculum. Similar to what is happening here in NY, CMI education should be viewed as a framework of modules intended to broaden an inspector's horizon, and ultimately, intuitiveness.

The net result of years of experience is intuition. You've seen it before, and know what it is, or is not. You cant learn that from a book. Sometimes to broaden one's horizon, it may mean going back to square one, and learning something new, or forgotten. That's what's so great about the concept of CMI.

As to following the money, it will undoubtedly go to the for-profit, and not-for-profit institutions who choose to teach it.

As to John O's question, as the designation has a criteria of achievement, one cannot simply use it without NACHI's permission. I also believe that a good number of experienced inspectors will likely qualify to take the exam without needing a course. Of course, if you stop and think about those 24 CEUs NACHI requires, in states where education is not mandatory, this sort of course is beneficial at multiple levels.

Finally, ask yourselves this: when you take those CEUs, do you have to pay for the course? Even if NACHI sponsors it, someone pays.

Originally Posted By: John Bowman

Len,

Are you know the spokesman for the CMI Committee?

How much is the training?
Who do I write the check out to?
What classes or subjects are covered?
Is there an exam?
After completion can I use the term CMI?
Is this open to "full members" only or to anyone.
Is this open to non-members?
If available to non NACHI Members and they complete the course can they utilize the designation CMI?

Thanks,

Len,

Can a NACHI "working member" go to the class and then utilize the CMI designation after completion?

Can a "candidate member" of ASHI who has been a member for several years (just did not complete all requirements) take this course and then utillize the CMI designation?

What are the limits, if any?

Joe F.

Were you part of the creation of this? Can you point all of us to the rules and regulations on it. Please....

This is all any of us common members are asking.

What criteria was used in the selection of the Committe Members? What were there qualifications?

Have any of them been involved in providing advanced training. If so where?

Do you think it is right that members pay for "Beta" testing?

If you gentlemen feel that NACHI can provide this advanced training at the same costs that we pay for CATS, Gerry B., etc., I’m all for it.

But so far, I have yet to be quoted an exact price. I've seen everything between 450.00 per person on up to 1,050.00 per person.

To expect NACHI to pay these exobent fees would be foolish.

Originally Posted By: lungar

John;

Would you please answer my question from my last post.

DO YOU PAY ALL YOUR EXPENSES WHEN YOU TRAVEL FOR NACHI ???

PLEASE ANSWER BEFORE ANY MORE TALK WITH YOU, YOU ARE DUCKING MY QUESTION WHY ???

I payed all of mine and so did bill infact he even took us out to dinner on him for two nights.

Regards Len

Any travel that I do in New York. NO…

Did I get reimbursed for any travel to Albany. NO.....

What has that got to do with anything??

Originally Posted By: dwillis

John, all your questions are the same questions that we hit on in NY.

The CMI will not be put together in one night. We have to start somewhere with somebody. The people I enlisted are home inspection teachers, they know what it takes to write up a course.

Nick sent me out to NY to come home with a curriculum. We all worked hard and we got a great start. We had to cancel because I have 500 people already signed up for just the convention and it would not be far to offer this great program after they got their plane tickets and rooms.

We are doing our best give us a chance.

You guys wouldn’t hold a candle to the free travel and time that I have expended for the membership.

Originally Posted By: gbell

Better be careful Len you are getting close to being the next member of our group.

Originally Posted By: lungar

JOHN;

I AM ASKING ABOUT ALL YOUR NACHI ENDEAVORS WHICH INCLUDE YOUR TRAVELS ALL OVER THIS COUNTRY. OH!!! BUY THE WAY WHO IS FOOTING THE BILL FOR THE CONVENTION FOR YOU ???

ISN’T IT GREAT THAT NACHI IS GOING TO PAY YOUR FRIEGHT !!!

HOPE YOU ENJOY THE HOTSEAT FOR A WHILE JOHN.

REGARDS LEN

PS

I did come home with more than Nick asked of any of us. Prices were the last thing we talked about and it is still not a big concern. You (John) seem to be the only one worried about pricing and who to write a check too. If you want to write a check so bad my PO Box is 1186, Nederland, CO 80466. I can always use extra money.

Deanna,

So, if I read between the lines....

The course and curriculum is far from ready and the release of the offering in Florida was premature. Bill made an erroneous post when he released it.

And the class in NY is just a figment of my imagination and Nick's.

Better tell Nick he can't sit in the front row.

lungar wrote:
JOHN;
I AM ASKING ABOUT ALL YOUR NACHI ENDEAVORS WHICH INCLUDE YOUR TRAVELS ALL OVER THIS COUNTRY. OH!!! BUY THE WAY WHO IS FOOTING THE BILL FOR THE CONVENTION FOR YOU ????????????
ISN'T IT GREAT THAT NACHI IS GOING TO PAY YOUR FRIEGHT !!!!!!!!!!!!
HOPE YOU ENJOY THE HOTSEAT FOR A WHILE JOHN.

REGARDS LEN

Comes with the job, Len.

Do you have a problem with it? Who do you think pays everyone elses. Do you think Deanna flew out there on her own money?

No hot seat here.

NACHI was never going to take any money anyway. The money was to pay for the cost of the class room to teach it, instructors, books, coffee breaks. You brought up pricing.

You all have sufficiently answered my questions.

This is not a NACHI program anymore.

Originally Posted By: Nick Gromicko

We have a curriculum thanks to Deanna’s meeting in NY with all the H.I. school teachers. We were thinking about test running a class just before the convention but we ran into a problem: At the time, over 450 inspectors had already registered for the convention, bought plane tickets, booked hotel rooms, etc.

So we cancelled that idea and decided to test run it in NY at Bill's school after the convention. Cancelling is not wrong when cancelling is the right thing to do and as anyone who knows me knows that I have no quams about taking one step back to take two steps forward.

Originally Posted By: Nick Gromicko

My understanding is that the NY group sent the curriculum to Joe Farsetta, NACHI’s Director of Professional Development who has been tweaking it up these past couple weeks. He may have finished recently, I don’t know.

I feel like a broken record.

When it is being held at Bill's school, what is the costs and who do I make the check out to?

When I complete the course can I use the CMI designation.

Can I bring another individual. If he finishes the course can he use the designation?

Really, simple questions. I don't understand all the confusion?