any of you guys ever see a ...

Originally Posted By: five.five
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

any of you guys ever see a fireplace like this?

What are the termination restrictions or rules.

The front of this thing had a screen, similar to solar screen window screening in front of it, leaving me pawing at it, and scratching my head.

icon_redface.gif

gas only, gas logs installed, no access?

[ Image: http://www.nachi.org/bbsystem/usrimages/f/fireplacevent.jpg ]
[ Image: http://www.nachi.org/bbsystem/usrimages/f/fireboxscreen.jpg ]

Originally Posted By: mboyett

Yes, I had one similar in my home in Portland. It had an electrically controlled valve and a pilot light. Just flipped the switch on the wall and Presto! …instant fire. Worked very well except when strong gusty winds created a back-flow from the exhaust. It would sometimes extinguish the fire and the pilot.

Originally Posted By: phinsperger

Appears to be a direct-vent gas insert.

Originally Posted By: lkage

phinsperger wrote:
Appears to be a direct-vent gas insert.

Yes it does. I've seen several up here with thermostat control and hand held remote with variable flame and fan control. Dual pipe, combustion air enters through one pipe and exhausts exit through the other pipe...no room air loss. They actually put out quite a bit of heat...about 80% efficient I think. I've seen 20,000 to 38,000 btu units.

One had a round mechanical Honeywell thermostat on the wall across the living room that I mistook for the boiler thermostat...kept waiting for the boiler to ignite until I felt heat on my back and realized what I was doing. ![icon_redface.gif](upload://f7DX2EWhmUfsDapWaYT3oJHMCj1.gif) ...down the hall was the stat I wanted.

Originally Posted By: phinsperger

Originally Posted By: rwashington

I see alot of these going in around here with the direct vent. Wish I had a picture but is there a clearance requrement since they are no more than 4 or 5 feet off the ground. A home in my neighborhood being built has the direct vent on the porch. I am just thinking of the children (and not so young children) running by and accidentally touching that thing and torching themselves.

Originally Posted By: lkage

rwashington wrote:
I see alot of these going in around here with the direct vent. ...but is there a clearance requrement since they are no more than 4 or 5 feet off the ground.

Each fireplace has tested clearances to combustible specification by the manufacturer.

Here's one example (about 3/4 of the way down the page):
http://www.warmingtrendsstoves.com/cambridgedvf_gi.html

Some require no hearth extensions. Combustible material on the floor may be installed up to the insert.

Unless I have the manufacturer's installation specifications there I defer the installation recommending that they verify clearances with the installation instructions through the owner .

Originally Posted By: five.five

a lot of good info there, thanks all.

Darren.

Originally Posted By: jhugenroth

rwashington wrote:
I am just thinking of the children (and not so young children) running by and accidentally touching that thing and torching themselves.

I agree. This is always a write up for me. I have seen some with hardware cloth around them to help keep fingers off the vent.