Freon line protection

Originally Posted By: mboyett
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Mike Boyett

Capital City Inspections

Austin, Tx

www.capcityinspections.com

Originally Posted By: jwilliams4

to hide the lines in the wall. If the association was

aware of the situation, it seems to me they should have notified the

resident of 'uncommon' conditions that could lead to problems.

If the association did not know of the condition, how could they

then expect the resident to know?

I would think the responsibility is more on the installing company.

Originally Posted By: lkage

If I’m not mistaken, the NEC requires nail plates to protect wires that are less that 1 1/4" from the edge of framing. Maybe there’s a similar requirement for these lines.

If you add 1/2" drywall to the 1 1/4" from face of framing it equals 1 3/4" from face of drywall and the 1/ 1/4" nail wouldn't penetrate it.

Just a thought.

wall_protection.pdf ) See pg 2.

Jae, It is very common here in the south to run the freon lines in side the walls if it is being installed during original construction. I don't think I could convince the apt mgmt that this is an uncommon practice around here. I'll look into that some more though, thanks.

Originally Posted By: escanlan

Unfortunately the IRC does not specify protection measures for piping of plumbing or mechanical lines other than when entering bored or notched structural members. The only concern was with radiant heating element protection.

Another item to take into account is the original installation date of these items. If the building pre-dates any codes or procedures they would generally not be required to update the installation unless it was a significant safety hazard.

Just as a side note you can view some of the ASHRAE standards at:

http://www.ashrae.org/template/TechnologyLanding

ASHRAE sets many of the standards for design and construction of heating and cooling systems. Unfortunately they do not get into that detail.

Originally Posted By: jlybolt

If she hasnt already, she probobly needs to look at her lease contract closer to see if something in the contract covers this area. It may or may not help her.

Originally Posted By: aleleika

jlybolt wrote:
If she hasnt already, she probobly needs to look at her lease contract closer to see if something in the contract covers this area. It may or may not help her.

I agree here.

Michael, It might have to come down to if her lease agreement actually states that she can not hang picture frames or if it specifies certain size hangers. My guess is, it DOES NOT. Since most would agree that it is a common practice to decorate your walls by hanging a pictur or two, and if they were concerned about before she puntured the line, then they certainly would have standard language in the lease agreement prohibiting this practice.

My guess is that they were also clueles to this possibility until it actually happened.

--
A. Dan Leleika
www.a-teamhomeinspections.com

Suzy_reply.pdf )

Originally Posted By: aleleika

Vey nice response Michael!

A. Dan Leleika

www.a-teamhomeinspections.com

Ooooh, that was a very nicely worded response Mike!! If it was me I would look very favorably on calling for your paid services in the future!!

Aw shucks y’all…think yew. ( I did notice my typo in the #1 paragraph, oh well) icon_biggrin.gif

Originally Posted By: pbolliger

Can you say “stud sensor” with metal detect for Christmas?? icon_lol.gif icon_lol.gif

Quote:
Can you say "stud sensor" with metal detect for Christmas??

![icon_lol.gif](upload://zEgbBCXRskkCTwEux7Bi20ZySza.gif) ![icon_lol.gif](upload://zEgbBCXRskkCTwEux7Bi20ZySza.gif) ![icon_lol.gif](upload://zEgbBCXRskkCTwEux7Bi20ZySza.gif) ![icon_lol.gif](upload://zEgbBCXRskkCTwEux7Bi20ZySza.gif) ![icon_lol.gif](upload://zEgbBCXRskkCTwEux7Bi20ZySza.gif)

Mike,

If the situation were different and you knew the person that would be a good gag gift to sent them for Xmas!!

Stud Sensor ]

And here's the response from Suzy today:
Mike,
Thank you SO much for your research and insight. I really appreciate you taking the time to provide me with all of that useful information. My husband and I will definitely be leaving this complex in March, and if we need to have an inspection before purchasing a home, you'll be the first person we call.

Thanks again!
Suzy