**Pricing Survey** All please read and repond

Originally Posted By: rspriggs
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

$245.

2,000 - 2500: $275.

2501 - 3,000: $295

Radon: $95

Sorry, I don't know about appraisers here.

Russ

Originally Posted By: bsmith

Condos start at $375

Houses start at $400 and increase to what the market will bear.

My pricing is "area specific". A house in one area is usually priced very differently from an identical house in another area.

Originally Posted By: psmothers

icon_biggrin.gif BUMP icon_biggrin.gif

Originally Posted By: mcyr

icon_smile.gif icon_smile.gif

I won't touch one for less that $325 for a dwelling of 30 - 40 years old and up to 1999 s.f.. Unless it is someone I know, I might do it for $280 which seems to be the going rate around here.
I will not lower my price and maybe Jeff gets all my business, but that is alright. My main job is building Commercial and I love it.

My expertise in building for the past 40 years will eventually pay off, and I do not work for nothing anymore.

You guys have to keep the price up to maintain the fact that we are all professionals in what we do and certified by NACHI to do so.

Let's all keep up the good work that has been exemplified by these posts and go get them with all we have.

Continued education as requested by NACHI is about the best ammunition that a NACHI member could have in providing the service that we provide.

Let's all join together and make our counterpart look like an Amatuer, if you know who I am talking about. There are a few around here and I have got my hands on a few reports that are going around, and I find it pathetic. To do a report like the one's I have seen, I would charge $200 and feel guilty.

Let's all stick together and show the public that we are professionals and stick together in the pricing market that is equitable to both the Inspector and the consumer.

Giving yourself away cheap just shows what you are, charge an equitable rate and back it up with expertise of the trade.

I guess I have carried on long enough.

Hopefully, some of you will understand what I am saying.

My spell checker tells me it is temporaily disabled, any of you know why?

Thanks to everyone and take care and let's all go get the bussiness that we all deserve to get paid for.

Marcel

It seems that the entire MB is in the midst of an overhaul, till (this?) Wed.

Russ
www.cdaInspector.com

Originally Posted By: dvalley

For those who need a great Spell Checker, download the Google Toolbar. It’s fully compatible to NACHI’s MB.

David Valley

MAB Member

Massachusetts Certified Home Inspections
http://www.masscertified.com

"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go."

Originally Posted By: rpokorny

$295 up to 2000 sq ft. $35 per 500sq ft above 2000.

Bob Pokorny

Well, you folks in the NE certainly get more than we in the West. But, then again, in 1989 I was paying 10x the $ in taxes in NJ than I did when I moved to TN - NC.

I’m still paying about 1/10, out here in ID.

Russ
www.cdaInspector.com

Originally Posted By: dbowers

$50 for a crawlspace

$50 if over 50 years old

$75 if over 75 years old

$75 for WDI

$125 for Radon

Originally Posted By: jmichalski

Quote:
Giving yourself away cheap just shows what you are, charge an equitable rate and back it up with expertise of the trade.

Marcel, I appreciate your point of view, but start up businesses often have to attempt to gain a market share by using discount pricing.

In addition, there is a formula (though I don't claim to be smart enough to know it exactly) where a small price break will result in a disproprotionately large share of business. In other words, by pricing yourself say $20 (a number pulled at random) lower than the market average, you may get an additional 10 inspections per month (another random number). You lose $200 in discounts ($20 x 10 inspections) but you gain $2500 - 3000 in inspection fees that you did not have (depending on your discounted rate).

Again, finding this ideal pricing level is not an exact science (well, ok, it may be - but I don't know it) and is likely dependant on many variables (market, client base, your own ability to keep pace with business, etc).

I only point this out because, while I applaud the fotitude of those who place their prices beyond the top of the marketplace, this method has seemed to be effective for me. These clients then, in turn, are given my referral rewards packet and can generate more business (a marketing tool that increases in value exponentially with volume of business).

It isn't that I feel I am worth less - in fact, I believe my reports compare quite favorably to most - it is that I am seeking a strategy that will allow me to maximize my business.

Originally Posted By: rbunzel

Joseph,

I believe the point is that one has to convince potential clients that they are delivering superior value. On one hand I agree with your logical however I know what my costs are and need to charge appropriately for my services.
Figure out how to show price shopper that you deliver superior value with your services.

You will find once you develop a group of realtors who use you, price becomes less of an issue. What you have to be careful of is distributing your price list. I know more than one HI who got trapped into maintaining low prices or realtors threaten to go to a cheaper inspector.

--
Rick Bunzel, CRI
Pacific Crest Inspections
Anacortes, WA
360-588-6956

Originally Posted By: kfulton

mcyr wrote:
![icon_smile.gif](upload://b6iczyK1ETUUqRUc4PAkX83GF2O.gif) ![icon_smile.gif](upload://b6iczyK1ETUUqRUc4PAkX83GF2O.gif)

I won't touch one for less that $325 for a dwelling of 30 - 40 years old and up to 1999 s.f.. Unless it is someone I know, I might do it for $280 which seems to be the going rate around here.
I will not lower my price and maybe Jeff gets all my business, but that is alright. My main job is building Commercial and I love it.

Marcel,
You are right on. I can't figure out why it is so cheap the further south you go. Here in Bangor 300 is the going rate, give or take a buck. When I am in your neck of the woods I shake my head and wonder how some of these guys make a living?

Originally Posted By: jhagarty

Pricing of the services offered by our Office is commensurate with the fulfillment of the Client Expectations.

Joseph Hagarty

HouseMaster / Main Line, PA
joseph.hagarty@housemaster.com
www.householdinspector.com

Phone: 610-399-9864
Fax : 610-399-9865

HouseMaster. Home inspections. Done right.

Originally Posted By: rcooke

jmichalski wrote:
Quote:

Marcel, I appreciate your point of view, but start up businesses often have to attempt to gain a market share by using discount pricing.

In addition, there is a formula (though I don't claim to be smart enough to know it exactly) where a small price break will result in a disproprotionately large share of business. In other words, by pricing yourself say $20 (a number pulled at random) lower than the market average, you may get an additional 10 inspections per month (another random number). You lose $200 in discounts ($20 x 10 inspections) but you gain $2500 - 3000 in inspection fees that you did not have (depending on your discounted rate).
It isn't that I feel I am worth less - in fact, I believe my reports compare quite favorably to most - it is that I am seeking a strategy that will allow me to maximize my business.

Many new inspectors try to get started by giving out discounts .
Past experience has shown that about 90% of new inspectors are gone by three years.
You must make a living if you are going to last .
Lets take 20 inspections at $350:00 per inspection = $7,000:00
Operating expense at $100.00 per inspection =$2,000:00
left is $5,000:00
Now if we only charge $300:00 per inspection and get 25 inspections we get $7,500:00
Operating expense at $100:00 = $2,500:00 left is $5,000:00
now if we Charge $400:00 per inspection and get 17 inspections =$6,800:00
operating expense at $100:00 per inspection =$1,700:00 left is $5,100:00
Now who is smarter the person who does 25 inspections a month or the person who does 17 inspections a month .
You make the choice ,
I hope you are in the 10% who last in home inspection for a long time .

Been there done that, we are now the highest in our area. $375:00
Another nice advantage by charging more is we get more of the better class of home as these people usually shop for quality not so much as price.

Roy sr.

Originally Posted By: jmichalski

Roy,

I think the problem we have is that there is no empirical data to suggest that the difference between the $300 ispection and the $400 inspection is 7 inspections per month.

My point was that there is a line where discounting does significantly and disproportionately pay dividends over the top-of-the market approach. Again, where that is - only trial and error can help me establish.

I prefer to be busy. It keeps me going and active, keeps the flow of money more of a constant, builds even more contacts and exponentially increases the effectiveness of rwards marketing. All of these work together as an approach - just one aspect taken by iteself may not be nearly as effective.

As for the class of people, I find no distinction by money paid for a home. Some of the nicest people I have ever met bought some of the smallest homes. Similarly, some of the biggest jerks I have ever encountered were purchasing the largest status symbol they could find.

Additionally, I find no correlation between price and quality. This is an adage that I believe is dying out - and fittingly so. Undoubtedly some people will always shop for labels. But, I also find that people are not afraid to comparison shop and take a deal provided they are comfortable that the quality is comparable. My job in marketing is to make them understand that my inspections are top quality, and offered at a bargain rate to entice them to book their inspection with me because I WANT their business.

Originally Posted By: charper

2000 SF Home in Atlanta Area 275.00. - 300.00… Average appraisal $ 350.00

Originally Posted By: rcooke

jmichalski wrote:
Roy,

I think the problem we have is that there is no empirical data to suggest that the difference between the $300 ispection and the $400 inspection is 7 inspections per month. .

I listened to other inspectors and they told me it also worked for them .
I do hope you can last to find out that you could have got more money and worked less.

A good read that again confirms what most sucessful inspectors are doing.

http://www.nachi.org/imageis2005.htm

Another good read go here and up two letters .

http://www.nachi.org/bbsystem/viewtopic.php?p=189513#189513

Roy Cooke sr A Happy NACHI Inspector

Originally Posted By: rwashington

$290 for 2000 sq ft home. icon_cool.gif

Originally Posted By: troberts1

Hi bill,

Do you do an renter/landlord inspection before the tenat moves in and then after the tenant moves out? If not how do you know what damage the tenant has done, and what was there before they moved in? I have rentals and was just wandering. I belong to our local loandlord assocation and have not thought of providing this service. Great Ideal. ![icon_wink.gif](upload://ssT9V5t45yjlgXqiFRXL04eXtqw.gif)

Originally Posted By: tallen

$249.00 to get out of bed.

<1500 sq.