Heating unit

Originally Posted By: ecox1
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Need some advice on this. A homeowner contacted me this morning this morning about a heating unit. She said that last night when she got home she smelt like some thing was burning. She said it was coming from the heating vents. When she checked her electric furnace it was very hot with a funny smell. Any HVAC professional. I told her today I stop by and see if I can find the problem.

Originally Posted By: rcooke

ecox1 wrote:
Need some advice on this. A homeowner contacted me this morning this morning about a heating unit. She said that last night when she got home she smelt like some thing was burning. She said it was coming from the heating vents. When she checked her electric furnace it was very hot with a funny smell. Any HVAC professional. I told her today I stop by and see if I can find the problem.

Check the filter low air flow could cause more elements to come on.
Roy sr

Originally Posted By: Blaine Wiley

If it was the first time she has used it in a while, that would be very common.

Now she’s saying that the furnace will not turn on.

Originally Posted By: lkage

ecox1 wrote:
Now she's saying that the furnace will not fire.

I don't see electric furnaces up here but I would think "no fire" would be a good thing. ![icon_lol.gif](upload://zEgbBCXRskkCTwEux7Bi20ZySza.gif)

Originally Posted By: jkormos

Might be the fan belt for the fan, have her call an HVAC professional

Originally Posted By: rcooke

Earlier you said an electric furnace.

I guess she needs t o get in a service man to fix it

Roy sr

Originally Posted By: dedwards

Earl,

You never said whether this was a previous client and she was calling you back as an after market call. I sometimes get calls after a significant period of time may have lapsed from someone I did a home inspection for. Most of the time the unit just quit working and they are looking for some free advice or want you to come over and troubleshoot the system. I always advise them to call a licensed contractor in the particular discipline. It is a dangerous practice to make house calls for troubleshooting purposes unless you are qualified and licensed to perform the work. Only reason I caution on this is because you will start getting calls from people all the time long after you have done the home inspection. You have to be careful otherwise you will find yourself “owning” the property forever. Got a call a year and half after I did the inspection for one fella and his electric furnace quit during one of the rare below freezing nights we get here and he called to ask me what to do. I told him to do what I do…call the repair man. NO telling how long he would have sat there freezing his butt off before he would have broke the code on that one.

dedwards wrote:
Earl,
You never said whether this was a previous client and she was calling you back as an after market call. I sometimes get calls after a significant period of time may have lapsed from someone I did a home inspection for. Most of the time the unit just quit working and they are looking for some free advice or want you to come over and troubleshoot the system. I always advise them to call a licensed contractor in the particular discipline. It is a dangerous practice to make house calls for troubleshooting purposes unless you are qualified and licensed to perform the work. Only reason I caution on this is because you will start getting calls from people all the time long after you have done the home inspection. You have to be careful otherwise you will find yourself "owning" the property forever. Got a call a year and half after I did the inspection for one fella and his electric furnace quit during one of the rare below freezing nights we get here and he called to ask me what to do. I told him to do what I do....call the repair man. NO telling how long he would have sat there freezing his butt off before he would have broke the code on that one.

Not she was not one of my clients she's a friend of mine.

I did advice her to make a trouble call to a HVAC tech. but since I no her I was just going to see if I was able to find the problem.

Originally Posted By: jsmith10

Check the air flow as the others have said but also the CB’s need to be checked to see if they have tripped as well as checking wire connections on the CB have loosened.

I have found this to be the trouble many times.

Originally Posted By: tallen

Most likely,dirty air filter and lack of yearly maint.

Thanks guys for all the help. It turned out that the motor was bad. I had my HVAC tech look at it. He recommended replacement of the motor.