Criminal Background Checks? Not a real question!!!!

Originally Posted By: bmerrell
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

THE YES’s HAVE WON!

I always considered this a joke thread to make the thread fun-
Have a great weekend!

Originally Posted By: rbennett

Mr. merrell

I hope people are smarter than I am and do not even read this post

let alone vote

-- How can you take a good thread and make crap out of it??

Looking back on some of your threads -- I have my answer

You even have a problem with understanding NY law -- see Nicks post

rlb

Originally Posted By: jrivera

Thats discrimination, ex-cons need a second chance too ya know, ask the likes of david berkowitz, sirhan sirhan sirhan and sirhan.

Nothing wrong with them as long as there NIMBY

NIMBY

not in my back yard

Trying to add a joketo lesson the tension

Not to disagree with Nick, but in NY all Associations, comply with all regs and have liquor licenses and obtain approvals for courses. NY State has the right to do what they want, even if you interpret the law differently. To date, even Realtor groups were told to get their courses approved. If they are recognized by the National Assoc. of Realtors, it would appear they do not need to.

If you read the legal section, you will find that even if you are correct, you may spend thousands defending that right. NY wants everyone to file.

Bottom line, better to be safe than sorry, Now, I apologize if this thread upset you- It was designed as a joke- I did not think fellow members would have taken offense to it, especially after all the comments over the past several days.

have a great holiday.

Bill

I could be wrong

Lets see how the vote goes

rlb

A little humor doesn’t hurt= Laughter is always the best cure for a situation where there is no right or wrong answer just opinions. I prefer to laugh with people, and this seemed funny- you know that the members will view it funny- however I agree that the idea of background checks in this world is important.

I won't let my daughter hang out like we did. Now there are play dates. And we want to know who the parents are as well.

I agree to disagree and I don't think we disagree. I just wanted to stop the tension and make fun out of this, since the thread started to explain that a course was cancelled. I think that alone is funny that thousands of views have occurred.

Originally Posted By: bkelly1

rbennett wrote:
Mr. merrell

I hope people are smarter than I am and do not even read this post

let alone vote

-- How can you take a good thread and make crap out of it??

Looking back on some of your threads -- I have my answer

You even have a problem with understanding NY law -- see Nicks post

rlb

![icon_rolleyes.gif](upload://iqxt7ABYC2TEBomNkCmZARIrQr6.gif)

As an educator, my attorney determines the law in NY as it applies to my school. I always appreciate input from anyone, but rely on NY State Licensed Attorneys to tell me what is permitted and what is not!

I may agree with Nick's analysis, but disagree with how the state would react. Even those who are in the right may end up with hefty legal bills proving it. I decide to listen to our school attorney and follow his advise.

In 19 years, we have not yet had a situation which ever required a hearing. This is because we make sure our activities are checked and double checked before we proceed. Just like the fact that even though I was told our program is approved, until I see the piece of paper from the state with an approval code on it, I refuse to note that my status is now approved on our web site, nor will I take 1 dime from potential students until this happens in writing.

have a great day!

This thread was to make light of a subject that was getting a lot of people hot under the collar.

I hope it was viewed as a piece of humor for the benefit of diffusing upset members.

Originally Posted By: ksitzes

Quote:
Thats discrimination, ex-cons need a second chance too

This is not discrimination you gave up lot of your right when you became a felon. You have to fill this out on a job application

NY also has a criminal check for Home Inspectors who apply for a License.

This was a humorous thread to bring light to a very off the wall suggestion regarding Criminal background checks. Backgroud checks may be appropriate, but usually when in conjunction with an employer, state agency, federal agency and even local boards. Not a volunteer association that wants to check your background after you are a member, only before you want to use a designation.

Talk about the cat already of the box.

What would happen if the NACHI members is found to have a criminal record. Do we just say, sorry, you can't have a CMI designation, but fellow NACHI members, continue to inspect homes.

All this will do is cause those with checkered pasts not to apply for the CMI Designation.

Originally Posted By: escanlan

Quote:
What would happen if the NACHI members is found to have a criminal record. Do we just say, sorry, you can't have a CMI designation, but fellow NACHI members, continue to inspect homes.

No, just take them into the town square and stone them to death!! Then you can posthumously award them the CMI designation, use their rank in the count of CMI's awarded for NACHI marketing purposes. ![icon_wink.gif](upload://ssT9V5t45yjlgXqiFRXL04eXtqw.gif) Of course you could alsways spin the stoning incident and say they died bravely in defense of the NACHI CMI program. What a PR story that would make!!

--
Manny (Emmanuel) Scanlan

Knowledge is power, but sharing knowledge brings peace!

Your nuts but you are right!

Story- Headline

NACHI MEMBER GIVES UP LIFE DEFENDING CMI DESIGNATION

This thread can't get any funnier!

Have a great day- We needed a laugh at the office here and this is better than a made for tv movie- with no commercial interuptions

Originally Posted By: bkelly2

By Felon, do mean one who has benn convicted of a Felony, or commited a Felony?

AZ requires crimianal background checks for Certification.

I say again

Background check to be a HI - yes - but not required or done by NACHI at any level --

The CMI is a professional skill level -- not a legal or moral badge

Remember a church leader might be pure of heart but not of body so watch your children

Bill do you realy think NY will require NACHI training to be blessed by the state if given in the state of NY --- What about online?? -- What if everyone goes across the state line to NJ? --- As I read the law as you posted it says that we are OK. Do you see it different??

Glad I live in Florida

And back to the thread -- what is / might be etc. canceled? - course - complete program? -- I know wrong thread !!!!!!!!!!!!

I have re-read the thread and can't understand what you are saying -- but I do agree with you -- what ever you say

rlb

rlb

Originally Posted By: escanlan

Quote:

It's only illegal if you get caught!!!

![icon_twisted.gif](upload://xjO326gspdTNE5QS3UTl0a0Rtvy.gif) ![icon_twisted.gif](upload://xjO326gspdTNE5QS3UTl0a0Rtvy.gif)

--
Manny (Emmanuel) Scanlan

Knowledge is power, but sharing knowledge brings peace!

escanlan wrote:
Quote:

It's only illegal if you get caught!!!

![icon_twisted.gif](upload://xjO326gspdTNE5QS3UTl0a0Rtvy.gif) ![icon_twisted.gif](upload://xjO326gspdTNE5QS3UTl0a0Rtvy.gif)

The law is different here in AZ. Alltthough we are considering the TX model.

dbl post

Originally Posted By: dbowers

as an old feeble inspector I’m terrified that one of the voluptous young women realtors, home builders, buyers or sellers I’m alone with on an inspection could be a convicted felon and attack me BUT its a chance I’ll have to live with.

Some of the threads that are starting to come up on our site are starting to get well past ludicrous. We're home inspectors not the KKK or Montana Militia ... get a life. Where do we draw the line and eliminate people from the possibility of being a home inspector and joining our ranks - lets get rid of Ollie North, Tim from the Tool Guy show, and what about the 40 year old man that stole a car for a joy ride when he was 20 yrs old, or the 55 year old architect that sold pot in college and got busted, etc, etc.

A guy I go to church with is a convicted felon - when he was 24 and in the service, he came home a day early from a military exercise and found his wife entertaining 2 guys in his 2nd floor bedroom. He got in a fight with them and hit one and knocked one out of a 2nd floor window. The guy broke his neck in the fall and died. The dead guy's brother was a sheriff. The fella I went to church spent 2 years in jail for involuntary manslaughter. Today he is about 48-50, has a Masters Degree and is head of engineering for a fortune 500 company locally. I'd rather have him in our ranks that most of the sleazy, cheesy inspectors I see lying to everyone touting 25 years experience, when they were cooks last month.

Originally Posted By: jfarsetta

Bravo, Dan.

It aint gonna happen in this org anytime soon.