Florida Radon

Originally Posted By: gporter
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

I am planning on taking the Radon Certification classes at the convention. Are there a lot of calls for this in Florida? Or is it a waste of time? Greg, Jay, Harvey? Any thoughts.

Originally Posted By: sspradling

Gary,

In the area I work, I found that about 20% of people calling me for inspection work asked about radon testing. For the first couple of years, I passed it on, saying I didn’t have enough requests to justify the cost of offering the testing service. As I saw someone else setting up a monitor enough times, I checked into Radalink’s program. I’ve not gotten rich, but I make money every month testing for radon. Look at epa.gov website for your area’s probability of high readings. Maybe you can make some money offering this service if your driving distance isn’t too far.

Stu.

Originally Posted By: gbell

Hi Gary,

I have had three requests in 7 years. So I have never thought it would be very profitable. If you do take it at the convention be sure to contact the state in plenty of time to get the necessary paperwork from them. If I was going to take the training I would go to Radalink simply because our state has some strange rules regarding radon testing. I am not sure if the training at the convention will be beneficial for Florida inspectors as there is a test you have to take from the state. It is what mold testing is going to be like in the near future. You have to work for a company that has the license.

Originally Posted By: lkage

http://www.doh.state.fl.us/environment/community/radon/overview.html

Originally Posted By: gbell

Thanks for the link I see that the test is being given at the convention. Another good reason to attend.

Originally Posted By: gbeaumont

Hi to all,

Gary, Florida generaly has a low incedence of radon in air, although there are are few counties around you with a medium threat (between 2-4 Pc/l).

Here is the EPA's radon map for Florida

![](upload://4ffpUmlrDzeLfAhVSdUgbLxwZgm.gif)

To find out more please visit the EPA radon site

http://www.epa.gov/radon/zonemap/florida.htm

If its any help, I seldom did any inspection in New England without doing a radon in air test, however I am not planning on offering the service since I moved down here.

Regards

Gerry

Originally Posted By: jhagarty

Radon is a good business in Pennsylvania.

http://www.epa.gov/radon/zonemap/pennsylvania.htm

![](upload://uQWoy1IYhDDVX6boLkTJOT5VoXA.gif)

Originally Posted By: dandersen

You guys beat me to the maps! ![icon_biggrin.gif](upload://iKNGSw3qcRIEmXySa8gItY6Gczg.gif)

Originally Posted By: dandersen

It should be noted however that these rates on maps were based on the results of radon testing. If fewer tests are conducted at certain locations (such as low populated areas), the results of projected concentrations will be lower or higher based on a fewer number of tests to be averaged within the group.

I inspect in areas with a reasonably high radon concentration on this map but find that a very small percentage of homes actually have a major radon problem. Other areas on this map, such has in the mountains of eastern Tennessee show a lower concentration level however I have done mitigation with the US EPA in the Smoky Mountains. So even in an lower zones, there is radon problems.

As the EPA says, the only way to know if you have a radon problem is to test for it.

Originally Posted By: gporter

Neat maps. Thanks.