Another Issue with New York State Licensing

Originally Posted By: Robert James Hutchinson
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

For all of you new Home Inspectors, myself included, I have found out that Module 4 is a special state invented module that no school has. icon_rolleyes.gif All approved schools have/will have to make that module available. So, I ALSO found out that any approved school cannot teach that module 4 until 90 days after the school is posted on the approved web site of the DOS. Well guys, that means we are looking at March before we can “go back” to our training schools to take the three day Module 4. That makes me unemployed for three months and I lose business momentum for three months. So, you guys that are already licensed; leave a few crumbs for us new guys

I guess the system is goofed up, but I am a member of NACHI and have been for almost a year now. icon_lol.gif

I can’t even post in the forum to tell NACHI that I am showing as a non-member. icon_rolleyes.gif I sure hope someone with some clout reads this and fixes me up.

Originally Posted By: John Bowman

send an email of your problem to fastreply@nachi.org

Originally Posted By: rhutchinson1

Thanks, Jim. I did just that and now I show as a member. eusa_dance.gif

Originally Posted By: efisher

Bob…I was trained by a franchise and am now being told that the 90 hours of training was a waste icon_evil.gif So now I am waiting on their education department to give me a final word.

Originally Posted By: rpaul

January 1st is going to be a sad day especially for some of these inspectors are relying on this income. The saddest thing about this

whole situation with the law was, we all from the state to the inspectors

let this one sneak up on us.

Even the State of New York was a big part of this major problem. There

was no organization of this law at all. Especially when there was a year go by and the state did not have any idea what was going to happen until October of this year. Just told everyone it is in planning. I really think it is a good and fair law but very poor planning.

Now we get another link in the chain to screw people up. It is a day

thing we keep getting all this craziness. I hate hearing about all these set

backs for you folks that did not for one reason or another did not get fit into the Grandfathering Clause. Keep pressing and when you contact the State Department make sure you get someone who can answer direct questions for you. Press on People.

Rick

Originally Posted By: efisher

thanks for the encouragement Ricky. You’re right…it is poor planning, in the first place the approved schools should have been determined prior and they came out with the licensing process so late in the year and in the holiday period at that. January 1st will be a sad day because if I will not be able to work. icon_sad.gif

Originally Posted By: jrivera

Good Luck guys !!!

Originally Posted By: jhanna1

Jim_Picture_for_Bus_Card_671_x_4471.jpg )

Originally Posted By: bmerrell

The state is permitting us to start teaching immediately- We are told to apply 60 days in advance- we did! We are approved for Modules 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5. The notion that March or April is when these courses can be approved is not treu- we have a program which will start in 2 weeks and conclude before Feb. 2006.

We have a second one starting in March 2 weeks long-

Module 5 can be completed at an approved school or with a Licensed Home Inspector. Len Ungar has already agreed to work with several people to meet the goal of Module 5.

Our Module 1, 2, 3, and 4 is $ 1,000.

I told everyone in September we should have requested an extension, but given the fact that they have offered approvals, and it is up to the school to supply all the materials is not the states fault- Each school is required to submit a full detailed outline, hour by hour of their teaching guide along with 200 questions to be used as part of the Module tests.

We were approved 12-14 and told the state we are starting the program on 1-7-06. They had no problem with that. If you need the education, sign up for it. If you are grandfathered (grandparented) submit all the documents before 1-1-06 to make sure you will be given the grandfathered license. Len Ungar already has his licens in his posession, and so to many inspectors I am working with. I even received my approval 2 days after the school was approved. It is a matter of dotting your i's and crossing your t's.

www.merrellinstitute.com

Happy Holidays, Merry Christmas, Happy New Year

Originally Posted By: jferry

Robert James Hutchinson wrote:
I guess the system is goofed up, but I am a member of NACHI and have been for almost a year now. ![icon_lol.gif](upload://zEgbBCXRskkCTwEux7Bi20ZySza.gif)

True.

http://www.nachi.org/memberlist/featured/h.htm

Thanks, Bill for the information on your school, but in this case, I spent $2500.00 at AHIT for their training and they say that they will charge me less to take the module 4 class. The other three modules have been approved. Unfortunately, the state is taking a long time to post AHIT on their approved school web page. Anyhow, I cannot spend another $1000.00 PLUS travel/gas to NYC (you are almost there)AND TIME to take the modules 1-3 all over again at your school. I just do not have the money and I have had to take a part time job because I am unemployed as of January 1st. I am sure that the rest of us guys have already spent money and time on training and are not in the position to take on a whole class again, like me, financially. I have my 40 hours in for field training. I will call the state and see what can, if anything, be done about the module 4 being taught later with AHIT. I have been working with AHIT and they are trying to get the date pushed up so that they can start teaching earlier than March. I just wish that the state would take the names of those inspectors in the quandry of what I am describing and let us inspect for three months of the new year until we get what we need. Us guys who are “really there” in education except for what the state has invented as some convoluted module(s) should have been able to get some slack…especially when it has to do with income. I hesitate in calling the state because I do not want to draw attention to me so that they can find more “problems” with me and delay my licensing even more.

Did not know that AHIT was approved for modules 1, 2, and 3 to date. They were not on the list as of this past week- I know they update the list the day the school is approved and the last update was for my school.

AHIT is a good school and even offered courses at my facility in 2002 and 2003. The programs must be approved, however to be accepted in NY State for licensing, or if you have 100 inspections and passed the NACHI exam, then your worries are over!

The state made clear that there was no problem teaching the courses earlier than the 60 days as prescribed in the statute- if you need only module 4 as you suggest the fee is $ 325.00, you can read this on my web site- Just make sure that modules 1, 2, and 3 are truly approved before you take Module # 4 out of sequence.

Getting something in writing, such as the approval code would be viable- Ask them for it and verify it with the state.

You can still take module # 4 with our school for a fee of $ 325.00 and not the prior 3 modules if they are approved- Fr NACHI members, I am including the books required to save you even more money- 1 saturday-all day 8-5pm and 4 evenings(Mon-Tues-Wed-Thurs) 6-10:30pm including an exam for $ 325 complete- Pass and receive your certificate that evening!!!!!!! No waiting weeks or months like out of town schools

JUST FYI- MAKE SURE THAT YOU HAVE AN APPROVAL CODE IN YOUR HANDS AND A CERTIFICATE FROM AHIT CERTIFYING IT'S APPROVAL-

This way no one can change their mind at the last minute- Call us by Tuesday at 5pm if you wish to Attend Module 4 with us. If there are others in your situation, let me know and I will move the course to our larger classroom to benefit the NACHI members who need only Module # 4-

Good Luck, much success and since Module 4 is being taught in January you should be fair ahead of March or April and be on your way to becoming licensing asap.

www.merrellinstitute.com 631-563-7720 Good Luck and much success

Bill

Call me monday- if you have enough members who have taken approved Modules 1, 2, and 3, I can even set up a specific module 4 for your group so you are finished asap. Even if you attend our program you will be done the last week of Januray and then be permitted to file with the state.

Call me on Monday between 10am and 3pm or Tuesday regular hours-

Happy Holidays

Bill 631-563-7720

www.merrellinstitute.com

Originally Posted By: jfarsetta

Rick Paul,

Your post is untrue in that I have been speaking of pending and proposed NY legislative efforts for the past 3 years. You and many others should be thankful that the likes of Dan Osborne, myself, and a couple of others were fortunate enough to get an audience withthose who were crafting the law. At our urging, they scrapped the law proposed by NYSAHI and NY ASHI in favor of what exists today. I will also tell you that today's legislation is a far cry from what it mioght have very well been.

You are correct that it is jnfortunate that many will be adversely affected by this. However, the reality is that those who seek their license, and do not meet the standards, need only get some education anbd perform a handful of inspectins, prior to being eligible to take a State exam. There is no indentured servitude in this process. Many will be eligible to teach. I suspect that many schools will crop up. The only challenge for the schools is that they are mandated to offer Module 5, andare responsible for providing the inspections. If you find an inspector to help you, you can opt out of Module 5 from the school. But, as I stated, the school is barred, by lawm from telling you that you are on your own. They (the school) MUST include this critical hands-on module in the mix. This is why I have not submitted my own course for approval. Module 5 has some logistical challenges in lace for me, at this point is time. Once I have worked them out, I will also submit my course for approval.

So, I get pissed off when I see things like how this law is unfair, or how it was snuck in, or how it creeped up on us. None of this is true. When I decided to enter this profession full time some years ago, I made a point to keep up on the licensing issues facing inspectors across the States. I educated myself, and watched what developed in pur surrounding States. I made contacts in Albany, and made it my businessz to ensure that NACHI was an important part of the process

Originally Posted By: rpaul

Joe,

I am not saying the whole enacting of this law snuck upon us. The way the bill was passed, was. It was done around the Summer break and it was done in a time if the legislators were not in house. They counted as a yea, for the bill. I have talked to my own local legislators and others who were not informed about this bill being past. Since I have been in this business. I have also took upon myself to follow the making of the laws. I have even personally written to the complete list of Senators. Even Governor Pataki opposing the earlier law. I only got about 3 Senators returning a letter and all have said "Thanks for making us aware of this!" I did all this before I became a member of NACHI.
I have never said this is an unfair law just the way it was passed and the way NYS has handled itself since it was passed. I am not an unfortunate one complaining. I just think, it could have been handled better.
I appreciate all that you, Dan and anyone else who has been active in helping shaping this law. I wish, I could of been more active in this but time and distance.
I am not upset or offended about the way you feel about what I said but wanted to set the record straight I am not wrong. It was not openly passed properly and it has not been handle the best by NYS.

Rick