a builder request

Originally Posted By: cpetty
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

has anyone ever had abuilder say that you couldn’t inspected his property

because I,m not a member of cabo or ICC.

Accurate Inspections
Cpetty

Originally Posted By: gbell

Being ICC certified is really a must if you intend on doing new construction. IMHO

Originally Posted By: twheeler

You can only inspect a new home when the owner has taken possession, after that, it’s up to the owner who enters the premis to inspect.

Originally Posted By: hspinnler

Yes Curtis. In addition to ICC (formerly CABO) certification, other requirements you may see listed in contracts include Worker’s Comp., General Liability, and Errors & Omissions insurance, as well as being a member of ASHI or GAHI (here in GA). In rare cases, being bonded is requested. NACHI was not written into any contracts that I have reviewed. To create awareness of NACHI, I do mention my affiliation with NACHI to all involved parties.

Originally Posted By: mcraig

A new first for Arizona. Our governor steped in recently and set up a new committee as part of the ROC (Register of Contracters) to enforce a new law that now makes it ilegal to restrict any State certified home inspector from being restricted from inspecting new construction even though the builder still owns the property.

I know that ASHI members have made this known to there members but I am not sure if NACHI members are aware of this new law yet?

On a different note there is going to be a NACHI Meeting in Phoenix and I am wondering if any NACHI members are going to be there? I have not heard from any of the members that I know? ![icon_smile.gif](upload://b6iczyK1ETUUqRUc4PAkX83GF2O.gif) ![icon_smile.gif](upload://b6iczyK1ETUUqRUc4PAkX83GF2O.gif) ![icon_smile.gif](upload://b6iczyK1ETUUqRUc4PAkX83GF2O.gif)

Originally Posted By: John Bowman

Michael,

Welcome back. Can you post the law?

Originally Posted By: bking

Any professional builder that is sure of his product would allow any inspector to inspect the house.

If some item is written up that is in fact acceptable then a professional builder can produce the necessary documents to prove his opinion.

The only reasonable requirement would be proof of GL insurance and any licensing required by the state for the inspector.

Any home buyer that finds a builder trying to prevent an inspection should seriously consider a different builder.

In most states it is against the code of ethics for any RE person to interfere with an inspection. Many builders have licensed RE agents on staff. The buyer just has to notify that person in writing of their intent on having an inspection peformed.

Originally Posted By: John Bowman

bking wrote:
Any professional builder that is sure of his product would allow any inspector to inspect the house.

If some item is written up that is in fact acceptable then a professional builder can produce the necessary documents to prove his opinion.

The only reasonable requirement would be proof of GL insurance and any licensing required by the state for the inspector.

Any home buyer that finds a builder trying to prevent an inspection should seriously consider a different builder.

In most states it is against the code of ethics for any RE person to interfere with an inspection. Many builders have licensed RE agents on staff. The buyer just has to notify that person in writing of their intent on having an inspection peformed.

Not necessarily. If it is a development and the land and everything is still in the builders name its a whole new ball game.

Originally Posted By: bkelly2

mcraig wrote:
A new first for Arizona. Our governor steped in recently and set up a new committee as part of the ROC (Register of Contracters) to enforce a new law that now makes it ilegal to restrict any State certified home inspector from being restricted from inspecting new construction even though the builder still owns the property.
I know that ASHI members have made this known to there members but I am not sure if NACHI members are aware of this new law yet?

On a different note there is going to be a NACHI Meeting in Phoenix and I am wondering if any NACHI members are going to be there? I have not heard from any of the members that I know? ![icon_smile.gif](upload://b6iczyK1ETUUqRUc4PAkX83GF2O.gif) ![icon_smile.gif](upload://b6iczyK1ETUUqRUc4PAkX83GF2O.gif) ![icon_smile.gif](upload://b6iczyK1ETUUqRUc4PAkX83GF2O.gif)

I have heard of this but can not find the Law, or a link.

Originally Posted By: mcraig

You will find this at the ROC this is where it is set up. The New Committee is called the CAN. You can find out more from the BTR if you contact them. It was set up for contractors that is why you don’t see the information with the BTR. For the best information you can get in touch with Israel Torres (head of the Register of Contractores) or Ron Dairymple (Head of the BTR) It is sad that NACHI members don’t get involved with keeping up with what the BTR, ROC and the NAR are doing here in the state that is why I belong to ASHI too so I can find out the things that affect my Business here in AZ. they are right on top of all laws being made. icon_smile.gif icon_smile.gif icon_smile.gif

Brian are you going to the NACHI meeting in Jan.? Most of the NACHI guys I know are not showing any interest in it at all.

Originally Posted By: bkelly2

mcraig wrote:
You will find this at the ROC this is where it is set up. The New Committee is called the CAN. You can find out more from the BTR if you contact them. It was set up for contractors that is why you don't see the information with the BTR. For the best information you can get in touch with Israel Torres (head of the Register of Contractores) or Ron Dairymple (Head of the BTR) It is sad that NACHI members don't get involved with keeping up with what the BTR, ROC and the NAR are doing here in the state that is why I belong to ASHI too so I can find out the things that affect my Business here in AZ. they are right on top of all laws being made. ![icon_smile.gif](upload://b6iczyK1ETUUqRUc4PAkX83GF2O.gif) ![icon_smile.gif](upload://b6iczyK1ETUUqRUc4PAkX83GF2O.gif) ![icon_smile.gif](upload://b6iczyK1ETUUqRUc4PAkX83GF2O.gif)

Brian are you going to the NACHI meeting in Jan.? Most of the NACHI guys I know are not showing any interest in it at all.

See you at the meeting.

As a SEVRAR member there was no mention about the "law" there. No mention about the "law" at the ROC site, or the Govenors site or the BTR site. Where is a link to the "law".

I did get an email that said the Govenor wrote a letter to someone, but that was not clear either. What did the letter say?

My dealings with the BTR have yet to leave me with the impression that they know what is going on. Maybe that has changed. I know when they reviewed my reports they were a little clueless. When they asked for more documents they were not sure what they wanted , and when they got what they asked for the BTR was not sure that is what was needed.

I will make some calls as you suggested Michael and check on this Law that was referenced. You would think with all of the fees, taxes, surcharges I pay, that perhaps the BTR could send some of this info out.