module 5 needed for license

Originally Posted By: jneser
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Hi,

I just found out from DOS what I need to get licensed. The course I took obviously didn't have Module 5. Now for me to stay in business in NY state I need 40 hrs with a licensed home inspector. Are there any licensed home inspectors who would be willing to help me out?

Jon Neser
White Glove Inspections
845 350 1012
cell 914 393 6088

Originally Posted By: jfarsetta

Call Len Ungar

Originally Posted By: lungar

Hi! Joe;

I beleive Mr Neser is in your neck of the woods, if you have your license you can help him out. Also is the state accepting his schooling I have no idea. If they are I hope he has something in writing.

Regards Len

Len, Joe,

I spoke to a very nice lady at DOS and she stated the school I took back in 1/05-4/05 which was through Ulster Community College would qualify me for everything but the 40 hrs. She will show this in writing.

Originally Posted By: lungar

Jon;

If you get it in writing from the NY DOS that they will accept the courses for licensing that’s great. Like I said before since you are in Joe’s neck of the woods it would be to your advantage to hook up with Joe or If he doesn’t want to I am sure he knows some licensed inspectors in your area. Also since it will be after 1-1-06 I beleive you will have to take the NY STATE Exam before they will approve you. Just my oppinion so check with the nice lady in Albany to make sure OK.

Regards Len

Thanks Len

Thanks,

Disregard this post.

I realize I'd have better luck pissing into the wind.
Why on earth would any licensed home inspector create more competition for themselves?

NY put a lot of good people out of business, and I'm sure the "godfathers...er...grandfathers" are not too upset about it.

That's business, right guys?

Well...what goes 'round, comes 'round.

Originally Posted By: Nick Gromicko

http://www.nachi.org/merrellinstitute2005.htm

Thanks Nick,

Bill called me and cheered me up a bit. He was eager to help and for that I am very grateful.

Again Thanks.

Originally Posted By: jfarsetta

Jon,

Just give me a call.

Originally Posted By: bmerrell

Jon

Have a great New Year's! You're almost there!

Your down time will be minimal- I enjoyed our coversation.

Talk with you next year! HA, HA that's only next wek!

Originally Posted By: Nick Gromicko

We’re all here to help each other.

Originally Posted By: rhutchinson1

After reading Len’s post about having to take the NYS exam after 01/01/06, I thought that I should check it out. Below is the EXACT wording from the License Application:

c. Successful Completion of an Exam: Have passed
the NYS written examination, or have taken and
passed an existing nationally recognized examination,
deemed equivalent, prior to December 31, 2005.

So, if you are like me and have to wait to get licensed in order to get that 40 hours in or education, the NACHI exam will STILL be a viable exam as long as you took it before 12/31/05. Anybody have any different information?

Robert,

It is a little confusing, but the exact words in the letter I got went this way,"Please be advised that the DOS is granting you a partial waiver of the 140 hour education requirement for licensure as a home inspector based on your previously completed course work.

Credit will be granted for Modules 1,2,3,4, however, you will be required to complete the following Modules in order to qualify for the NYS home inspector license:

Module 5 - 40 hr unpaid filed based training

This original letter must be submitted to the Albany office with your complete home inspector application, fee, notice of passing the NYS home inspection exam and original course completion certificates* for the above modules.

*If you complete module 5 from other than a NYS approved home inspection school, you must submit the 40 hr unpaid field based training log (attachment B of the application)"

The way I read it and understand it, is after I achive Module 5, I need to take the state exam and another $250 appl. fee.

I don't think it matters that I passed the NACHI test at this point. I might be wrong but Joe and Len also think this may be the way it goes.