Question about Licensing

Originally Posted By: rpaul
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Bill & Joe,

This is not for me but just carious. If a person got into business within the last year worked in the construction field, took all the Nachi online stuff available. Does the state count this as education?
It seems you all have been in contact with the state on the educational issues the most.

Rick

Originally Posted By: Nick Gromicko

What state?

Originally Posted By: Nick Gromicko

I’m assuming NY in which case I think everything changes on Jan 1, someone help me here.

Originally Posted By: bmerrell

If you have performed at minimum of 100 inspections and passed the NACHI on-line exam you would be eligible to become licensed under the grandfather clause. If not, courses must be approved by NY State with proper testing.

NYS at 518-474-4429 can explain it better, but the regulations for new inspectors are 140 hours of approved education which includes 40 hours of directly supervised inspections. This is achieved by NYS in modules 1,2 , 3, 4, each 25 hours and module 5 being 40 hours.

Hope this helps-

Posted: Wed, Dec 28th, 11:02 PM Post subject: NY

If you have performed at minimum of 100 inspections and passed the NACHI on-line exam you would be eligible to become licensed under the grandfather clause. If not, courses must be approved by NY State with proper testing.

Bill,

I am questioning this because in the written law that we have recieved it states there needs to be some form of formal education of 140 hours and 100 inspections within the past two years.
This is under 444-e provision 4 a, b, and c.
I am asking has the state aproved doing the online education through NACHI as a means of education.
I do understand that NACHI's Examination is being excepted but if someone does everything on the website without going to a formal training. Will that be excepted?
I just hate to see people being mislead.

Rick

Originally Posted By: bmerrell

100 SUPERVISED INSPECTIONS -OR-

140 HOUR PROGRAM APPROVED BY THE STATE WHICH INCLUDES MODULE 5 WHICH IS 40 HOURS OF SUPERVISED INSPECTIONS-

CALL 518-474-4429 TO VERIFY EACH AND EVERYTHING I HAVE SAID IN THIS THREAD. IF YOU READ MY PRIOR POSTING, THE INFORMATION IS STILL THERE AND HAS NOT CHANGED.

HAPPY NEW YEAR, HAPPY HOLIDAYS AND HAPPY LICENSING.

BILL

CALL OR E-MAIL ME WITH ANY FURTHER ?'S YOU MAY HAVE IF THE STATE DOES NOT HELP YOU WITH YOUR QUESTIONS!

Bill,

My question is simple. Is the state excepting the Nachi online education as education? Some people are being told this and as I said
I hate to see others mislead in this area.
Just doing 100 hours and the nachi online testing is not enough to get the license grandfathered according to the law. There has to be some formal education too.
Am I right or wrong according to what is written? I also know they are doing it all on an individual basis too.

Rick

Originally Posted By: John Bowman

Rick,

Are you talking about Continuing Education?

None of NACHI's Education has been approved for NY in either basic or Continung Education.

Last I knew the state hasn't even addressed Continuing Education yet.

Nick endorses http://www.nachi.org/merrellinstitute2005.htm

That is the answer I was looking for. So basically Formal Training, 100 inspections within the past two years, and passing a national recognized test, insurance and 250.00. This is what it is all based on.

If you have not met the 250 inspection - Grandfathering Clause.

But after Saturday- A person will have to do all the requirements.

Am I reading this right?

Rick

Originally Posted By: jfarsetta

Rickey,

No.

Here are the three paths...

250 inspections within the past 3 years, no exam, and a 250 application fee

or

100 inspections within the past 2 years and have either taken an approved exam prior to December 31st, or the State's exam after the 31st

or

100 hours of classroom training and 40 hours of field-based inspections and pass the State exam.

Originally Posted By: jburkeson

jfarsetta wrote:
Rickey,

No.

Here are the three paths...

250 inspections within the past 3 years, no exam, and a 250 application fee

or

100 inspections within the past 2 years and have either taken an approved exam prior to December 31st, or the State's exam after the 31st

or

100 hours of classroom training and 40 hours of field-based inspections and pass the State exam.

Sounds pretty good, maybe we should adopt the same qualifications for membership, what do you think? ![icon_lol.gif](upload://zEgbBCXRskkCTwEux7Bi20ZySza.gif)

--
Joseph Burkeson, RPI (Hooperette)

?Anyone who has proclaimed violence his method inexorably must choose lying as his principle.?
~ Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

Joe,

Thank for clarifying this. It is the recognized exam and 100 inspections within the past 2 years. But after tomarrow everyone who has not gotten any paperwork in has to go under the new set of rules.

Rick