Portable Printers

Originally Posted By: Badger
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Does anybody use them? icon_question.gif

Originally Posted By: gbell

yes I use a bjc 85 it works great for black printing. I am considering going to a full size to be able to print a color cover sheet.

Greg Bell

Bell Inspection Service

Originally Posted By: jhagarty

Deleted

Joseph Hagarty

HouseMaster / Main Line, PA
joseph.hagarty@housemaster.com
www.householdinspector.com

Phone: 610-399-9864
Fax : 610-399-9865

HouseMaster. Home inspections. Done right.

Originally Posted By: kbliss

I use a HP printer not really a"portable" printer but fairly small and light weight, I just bring it in the house and hook it up to my laptop and print out my report. It was fairly inexspensive about $ 79.00 the a $30.00 rebate, not bad!

Kurt Bliss

Originally Posted By: evandeven

I use a HP LaserJet 6L.

It is fast and all of my reports are in black and white.

Eric Van De Ven

Owner/Inspector

Magnum Inspections Inc.

I get paid to be suspicious when there is nothing to be suspicious about!

www.magnuminspections.com

Originally Posted By: jmyers

Eric,

Little heavy to be carrying around, don't you think?

Joe Myers

Originally Posted By: evandeven

Joe,

It weighs about the same as the case I use which holds my tools and laptop. It is kind of like carrying two small scuba tanks!

I have thought about getting a color LaserJet printer and keeping it in the van using an inverter, but that route is a little expensive!

Eric Van De Ven

Owner/Inspector

Magnum Inspections Inc.

I get paid to be suspicious when there is nothing to be suspicious about!

www.magnuminspections.com

Originally Posted By: dbush

As someone who is part owner of an inkjet cartridge retail business, (by the way we do offer a NACHI discount), I would look at an Epson C62. They are about $79.95 at Office Depot and the generic cartridges that I sell are great. I do all my reports on it and it has great clarity for the pictures and shoots out about 12 ppm.

Dave Bush

MAB Member

"LIFE'S TOUGH, WEAR A HELMET"

Eric,

That is a good idea. I use the wheeled case you find at Sears. It is great for placing the printer in the bottom of the case and there is plenty of room in the two trays to place your tools. ![icon_idea.gif](upload://6VKizmOm2U7YYmfXNtFW4XTwFVy.gif)

And my teachers told me I would never do anything right. Come to think of it, my dad did too! Oh well, maybe just one thing!

Joe Myers

Originally Posted By: mrose

Greetings to my fellow inspectors,

I am presently using a Lexmark Z45. This is a full grown inkjet printer with a USB interface. It prints black at 15ppm.

I have my printer, laptop, paper, and cables in a plastic rolling toolbox that I bought at Lowes (similar to Home Depot).

This case makes an excellent desk when inspecting a vacant house. A 5 gal. paint bucket becomes my chair.

Best regards,

--
Mike Rose
Cornerstone Home Inspection Co. LLC
Lawrenceville, GA

www.cornerstonehomeinspect.com

Originally Posted By: gbeaumont

Hi to all,

does anyone have any experience with using standard printers with power inverters from their truck or car, I have a cannon BJC series mobile printer but it is too slow to use onsite for a full report, unless it’s desperatly needed. The Full size printer in the vehicle route sounds good to me but I don’t know much about power inverters icon_confused.gif

Gerry Beaumont

NACHI Education Committee

e-mail : education@nachi.org

NACHI phone 484-429-5466

Inspection Depot Education
gbeaumont@inspectiondepot.com

"Education is a journey, not a destination"

Originally Posted By: mbailey

I currently use a Tripp-Lite 300W power inverter to power my laptop and a full size desktop printer (Canon i550) in my truck. Works great? when not powering my laptop and printer it is used with my battery recharger, rechargeable spotlights, etc?

Mark Bailey

Stonegate Property Inspections LLC

Ponca, NE

Ok,

Here is thought. ![icon_idea.gif](upload://6VKizmOm2U7YYmfXNtFW4XTwFVy.gif) Buy a large cord reel. Hook up an extension cord at least 100 feet long to it. When you get to the house break out your cord reel with the extension cord and plug into the house you are inspecting. When you are done it is pretty simple and quick to "reel" it in!

Probably cheaper than the power inverter and easier on your car battery!

Joe Myers

Originally Posted By: Scott Emerson

I use the new HP 450cbi, it’s small,fast and two cartridges. Works great.

Originally Posted By: mpatton

I use an Epson C80, a full size printer but very compact, it also has multiple cartridges. The black is a large volume cartridge and uses 3 individual color cartridges; the benefit is if you use a lot of one color verses the other colors for example you do not throw out the unused portion of the remaining colors. I also print on site and use an inverter in the truck, prints decent color prints, on fast mode the photos are of fair quality. One advantage if you are printing on site using the inverter in the truck does allow you a few minutes to gather your thoughts and review the report one last time usually without the customer looking over your shoulder.

Michael Patton

AA Home Inspection

Serving Northern KY & Greater Cincinnati OH

AA@AAHomeInspection.net
www.AAHomeInspection.net

Originally Posted By: adeerey

We just switched from the Cannon to the HP deskjet 450

WHy? The cartridges are huge in the 450

We use them wireless so we only get about 11-13 ppm but the clarity and color photos are sharp and clean - We run on the Fast mode in the printer setup and it is as good fast as the Cannon BJ was in fine mode.

One thing that is a little problem - They have this interface software that is a pain in the a$% - Tells you the whole life story of the printer.

They way about 1.8 pounds and are compact as hell -

Rolling toolboxes? You all are lazy ..... We make it simple we use two guys to inspect a house .

As for inverters - Home Depot has a massive Husky inverter - The thing works great. You have to have a good power flow to the printers or the act up. This is the only inverter I have found that works perfect - It is made for the demand of a Power tool so it has constant power.

The Hp has a battery also and runs great on the battery-

Catridges are 45 bucks for both Black and color and lasts about 25 reports in black (25 x 25pages) and color lasts forever just doing pictures in Color

Aj

Originally Posted By: phinsperger

I use a desktop printer - Lexmark Z25. . Desktops print faster and I think more reliable. I leave the printer and cig lighter power converter in the van. The snap-in ink cartriges are kept with me in the house to prevent temp extreams from messing them up. When I am done with the inspection I excuse myself for about 10min or so to go to the van and print the report. Agent and client discuss chit chat and before they know it I’m back with the report printed and bindered.

Paul Hinsperger
Hinsperger Inspection Services
Chairman - NACHI Awards Committee
Place your Award Nominations
here !

Originally Posted By: John Murray

jhagarty wrote:
Canon BJC-80. Ink cartridges are available for $4.00 for a box of 3 from http://www.voltexx.com

Joesph,
Are these refilled cartridges.
Last time I bought refills for a HP printer I ended
up having to throw out 50% due to unacceptible print
quality. They had a 100% gaurantee as well but, with packing, time and postage I had to eat it.

Originally Posted By: kleonard

I don’t do onsite reports.

All my report are printed on an HP 4600 laserjet priner that weighs about 88 lbs.( Don’t want to be carrying that thing around. ) If they need the report that day I can put it into an adobe PDF file and email it to them.

There is more set up cost more upfront but it will save me $ in the long run. My lowest price inspection is over $300.00, so I don't mind the $2.00 in postage to mail it. Although I also have label software and labels to print also and nice envolopes to mail them in, (add another buck). But the combination of all this makes for a very professional look.

So no need for an inverter..

Kevin

Originally Posted By: dbowers

Several inspectors I know use the Cannon 850i or similar. Full size but on the small size - cranks out about 19 PPM in B/W and 12-14 PPM in color. The guys using them carry it and laptop in wheeled case (Sears, Lowes, Home Depot) or in a small carry-on suitcase lined with foam.