1,000,000 Candlelight Spotlight fire

Originally Posted By: dvalley
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

http://www.nachi.org/bbsystem/usrimages/candlelight.jpg

David Valley

MAB Member

Massachusetts Certified Home Inspections
http://www.masscertified.com

"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go."

Originally Posted By: pdacey

Oh sh*t! That’s the one I have! I just ran down stairs to unplug it.

I didn't like it any way, the charge didn't last long enough.

David, I'm glad it didn't turn out any worse.

--
Slainte!

Patrick Dacey
swi@satx.rr.com
TREC # 6636
www.southwestinspections.com

Originally Posted By: rsummers

WOW that sucks! I will remember not to leave mine plugged in. Did you leave the switch on and as it charged?

Originally Posted By: jmyers

David,

I believe at the very least you should contact the Consumer Product Safety Commission.

Glad to hear no one was hurt and you did not lose your car.

Joe Myers

Originally Posted By: rkulla

David,

Thank God you weren't recharging it in your house overnight!! This message board is great. David, you might have just saved some lives!!!

--
Rex Kulla
Custom Home Inspections
Maple Grove, MN
(612) 799-3093

Originally Posted By: lmartin

Hi Dave, Yes ,a fire can happen , years back I had mine in the car , the problem I did at the time was put it face down after having it on , the bulb was still hot ! and burnt my car seat .

It was my fault , not the lamp itself. I should have left the light part up .

Les

Originally Posted By: mjones1

A friend of mine accidently left one in his truck and the fire department woke him up! The truck was burnt to the ground. I don’t know if it was a vector or not this was a few years ago.

Mike

Originally Posted By: ktrice

Hey David thanks for the info. I to have one of these lights I left mine charging overnite from a receptacle in the house, I’m glad I didn’t

have the same misfortune that you did. However from now on I will monitor it when it is charging.

Thanks
Ken
www.tricehominspections.com

Originally Posted By: anatol polillo

I just bought one of these yesterday. The directions say not to use the car (DC) charger for more than 3 hours. It also says never leave sport spot unattended during DC charger. Keep us informed as to the results of insurance investigation.

Anatol

Originally Posted By: dhartke

I have one of these only it’s 2,000,000 candle power and a different brand. Most of the time when I charge it at home it’s sitting on top of my parts cleaner. Yes, 10 gallons of flammable liquid!

Thanks for the warning. Maybe you have broken the string. My daughter got busted for DUI last month. My mother had cancer surgery last week. Somebody shot my dog today. Things can always be worse.

The good news is, I'll be going back to work soon.

Quote:
The directions say not to use the car (DC) charger for more than 3 hours. It also says never leave sport spot unattended during DC charger

I'm glad someone is reading the directions. I didn't think I had to read the directions to operating a simple "push button" spotlight. And I am not about to sit there and watch my spotlight charge for two hours. Thanks for the info.

My suggestion....Charge this light while traveling only. Do not (I repeat) Do not charge this spotlight in your house.
![](upload://8YpaSe32KlO0l563EZdODL79RMb.gif)

--
David Valley
MAB Member

No updates yet as far as this particular spotlight goes. I?m just bringing this thread back on top to make sure everyone views this message. This spotlight is very dangerous and a potential fire hazard, if overcharged.

I just picked up a 2,000,000 candlelight spotlight that advertises that it will take a 10 hour charge. The Vector 1,000,000 candlelight cautions on a 3 hour charge. Not good.

--
David Valley
MAB Member

Originally Posted By: anatol polillo

I believe the issue here is the DC charger. After reading the directions (again), it says charge using the AC charger for 20 hours before first use. I did that. I have since charged it after use, for 12 hrs. using the AC charger. No excessive heat noticed.

I was not really happy with the duration of use. It lasted 2 inspections, 2 days apart with no charge in between. I did use it quite a bit in the attic of a 80 year old house. K&T wiring covered with insulation and flooring. icon_cry.gif The circuts were still being used.

I will only use the DC charger if I am in the truck and can monitor it. It would be interesting to see how many amps it is drawing on a DC charge.
Anatol

Originally Posted By: wwarner

To all,

Vector manufactures these for many distributers who in turn place their own lable and/or logo on them. CarQuest is one of them and I'm sure there are others. I've never been a big fan of Vector products and they are many. Everything I've owned from them has either fallen apart or malfunctioned prematurely. (I've had to buy for the immediate need)
Read the "manufactured for....by Vector" lable carefully. Usually in small print on the back of the lable.
Vector is BIG in the inexpensive (cheap, cheap, cheap) 12 volt accessory products, as well as automotive battery chargers and jumpers.
I guess we get what we pay for!

my two cents

Bill

Originally Posted By: phughes

I find that I prefer to use a streamlight flashlight. They are very reliable very bright and with the slim line design I hang it from my belt. I know, a lot of people think that looks hokey but, what the heck.

Originally Posted By: jonofrey

Thanks David,

I use this light and recharge it in my house overnight. Not any more. The light won't last through three inspections in a day but the damn thing sure throws a beam!

--
Inspection Nirvana!

We're NACHI. Get over it.

Vector Manufacturing has reimbursed me for all fire damage costs that it took to repair my vehicle. I?m completely satisfied with their reaction.
I still refuse to purchase this spotlight again. And everyone who owns a 1000,000 candlelight spotlight should not charge their spotlights while unattended.
![](upload://iyQuzqKSf3T6heb2mClDij7XQpO.gif)

--
David Valley
MAB Member

Originally Posted By: kmcmahon

Son of a B&**!!! That’s the same light I own…I use it for duckhunting. I plugged it into my boat recepticle to charge and it fried the system…melted wires and the whole shebang!!! icon_eek.gif I had assumed I had crossed wires somewhere.

Thanks for the tip!! It's going in the trash!!!!

--
Wisconsin Home Inspection, ABC Home Inspection LLC

Search the directory for a Wisconsin Home Inspector