Discounted E&O from FREA

Originally Posted By: Chris Butler
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Ladies and Gentlemen,

a tremendous amount of you have been asking for some type of discount on Professional E&O from any of the providers listed on the NACHI site. So I wanted to update all of you on the ongoing discussions that have taken place between Nick and I on this issue over the recent months. FREA is willing to offer some form of discounted E&O for NACHI members in the United States that have completed 200+ inspections and have attended a formalized Home Inspection training program, due to the professionalism of you the members and the standards by which you practice. Nick and I are very close to finalizing the agreement between FREA and NACHI for all of you interested in lowering your insurance rates. Stay tuned for follow-up information to this next week.

Sincerely,

Chris Butler

(former) Director of Membership @ FREA

Originally Posted By: gbeaumont

Hi Chris,

that is great news, I know that you and Nick have been looking at this for some time, it is heartening to know that your hard work is comming to fruition.

It is great to be able to build relationships, in this forum, especially with an insurance provider with highly specialized knowlege of our business.
It is an area where all to often our carriers are seen as the enemy, rather that as part of our support system.

thank you.

Gerry

--
Gerry Beaumont
NACHI Education Committee
e-mail : education@nachi.org
NACHI phone 484-429-5466

Inspection Depot Education
gbeaumont@inspectiondepot.com

"Education is a journey, not a destination"

Originally Posted By: Blaine Wiley

Chris,

That is awesome news, and thanks to you and Nick. My renewal is due a week from Monday. Will there be a retroactive discount, or do I have to wait until the next renewal? Can't tell I'm broke, can you? ![icon_biggrin.gif](upload://iKNGSw3qcRIEmXySa8gItY6Gczg.gif)

Blaine,

have you sent it in yet?

If so call me directly at 800-882-4410 ext. 104

Thanks,

Chris

Chris,

It's actually due the 26th, so the form says to have it to FREA by the 16th. It's all filled out and sitting on my desk to go out next Tue or Wed. I don't think you'll continue my insurance if the check bounces ![icon_eek.gif](upload://yuxgmvDDEGIQPAyP9sRnK0D0CCY.gif)

Thanks for the quick response!

Originally Posted By: kleonard

Originally Posted By: dbush

Kevin, wrong Chris

Dave Bush

MAB Member

"LIFE'S TOUGH, WEAR A HELMET"

Originally Posted By: rfrancis

Chris

Does this apply to us up here in CANADA?

Do we get a rebate?

How about Canadian Dolllars at par to US?

--
Bob Francis
Shamrock Home Inspections Inc
Toronto, Ontario Canada

Kevin,

you lost me on the green thing…

as for the spiderhole… is that the name of your local watering hole???

Sounds like a beer and shot place.

Thank goodness for attentive fellow members for your sake… kidding.

I’m thick skinned and just laughed when Mr. Bush pointed out that it was the IT - Chris. Props to him (Chris) - as he is one of the best IT guys around from what I have been told by birds flying south here to San Diego.

Blaine, regardless if you still root for the “24” you’ll be ok.

Send it in specifically to my attention, but you should have some good news by the end of week. So it will all be a moot point.

Gerry, item one - drinking your cab yet…

it is Friday and if memory serves me right, it should be about 7pm your time.

two - thanks for the kind words and support as I feel it is always a two way street for anyone or company to be successful through open communication.

Gentleman, I’m gone and have a great weekend.

Sincerely,

Chris Butler

Robert,

ok, one last post on my part. I’ve got kids to pick-up. Unfortunately, no discounts in Canada. Trust me we continue to try, but the Canadian carrier we are utilizing of AIG, has said no way from day one. And things have not changed since. It was just short of an act of god to get them to even entertain insuring HI’s. With everyone bailing out in Canada, if it was not for our track record… there would be a lot of uninsured HI’s in Canada right now.

Gotta go. Stay warm up there in Toronto and enjoy my Flyers taking over the points lead from your Leafs…

Go ahead beat me up on that one, Healy does every day.

Rooting for the Flyers in San Diego… It’s too long of a story. Cliff notes version - my parents are from Philly and I was by the grace of god - born and raised in San Diego… now I have got to go and remove this silver spoon out of my mouth before I get on the road and have it catch on my seatbelt as I get in the car and drive home in 68 degree weather.

Golf will be fun tomorrow.

Sincerely,

Chris Butler

Originally Posted By: lwilliams

Chris B,

It sounds like you are working hard on our behalf (NACHI members) I look forward to the day all your hard work will also benefit us in the cold north (Canada eh!) icon_biggrin.gif

Originally Posted By: jfarsetta

Chris,

So as a loyal FREA member for my 2nd year now, will this discount be applied to my present new premium I have been paying for the past 3 monhs? I'm not talking about a retroactive discount, just related to any premiums moving forward during the installment cycle.

Please let me know. I'd hate to have to quit and re-join ![icon_wink.gif](upload://ssT9V5t45yjlgXqiFRXL04eXtqw.gif)

--
Joe Farsetta

Illigitimi Non Carborundum
"Dont let the bastards grind you down..."

Originally Posted By: slanicek

any idea if you can drop the group health stuff (i have that already) and just get the e&o, bonding, referral coverage? dropping that as well as a NACHI discount would be a much lower premium i would think.

What group health stuff?

on the FREA web site in says that individual or group health is included in the plans.

at www.frea.com it reads:

All policies include:
Unlimited number of inspections
Both residential (up to 75 units) and commercial work (up to 20 acres)
Referring Party Coverage
Prior Acts coverage (upon approval)
Underwritten by an A++ rated carrier
Insurance program is admitted in all 50 states
Simplified application
48-hour approval
Benefits package
Installment plan available
Fast, Personal Service

and when you go to the benefits section:

BENEFITS PACKAGE

FREA's focus is not only to provide affordable Errors and Omissions insurance, but to offer additional benefits to help stay successful in today's competitive marketplace. All levels of membership include the following benefits:

Group and Individual Health Insurance
As a member, you may qualify for group or individual plans for health, dental, life and disability insurance as well as a retirement savings plan. The plans which best fit your needs depend on your state of residence. To find out more about how we can help you obtain the best coverage at the best rate, call your FREA Member Insurance Services Representative, Ben Garrison at 866-658-8875 (toll-free).

Originally Posted By: glittle1

Chris was this not your statement , FREA is willing to offer some form of discounted E&O for ALL NACHI members, due to the professionalism of you the members and the standards by which you practice.( YOU FORGOT TO INCLUDE , UNLESS YOUR IN CANADA) And no discounts for the canadian members , Frea will regret this with continuing growing Inspectors in Canada , FREA could learn a few things from NACHI in how to welcome your neighbors to the north, I was under the impression that our members were not discriminated upon, the only reply I feel exceptable is how much our Canadian discount will be . Have Great day icon_rolleyes.gif

Originally Posted By: Nick Gromicko

Hang in there Gene. To get an E&O group discount for U.S. NACHI members took over 18 months of work. It was well worth it though as is appears the discount will be greater than NACHI membership fee. In other words, it will be cheaper to be a member of NACHI than not to. The steps we took to reduce membership risk were many and include:

-- An entrance exam. Other associations let candidates or associates join by just sending in a check.

-- Rewriting our entire Standards of Practice.

-- Sending our attorneys out to observe actual law suits against inspectors.

-- Rewriting our inspection agreement between inspector and client.

-- Coming up with an agent hold harmless clause.

-- Creating a separate organization: NACHI Arbitration Service.

-- Building an online insurance survey and using it to collect data.

-- Developing a free online Standards of Practice Quiz.

-- Developing a free online Ethics Obstacle Course.

-- Doing a whole host of things to keep our members educated such as free hands on HVAC classes, free electrical classes, free online courses, this message board even.

-- Having our attorney sit on our Standards of Practice Committee.

-- Much more....

I am quite aware of the E&O insurance problem in Canada and I am working to solve it. One of our problems 6 months ago was that we had so few Canadian members. This has now changed with what appears to be 3 Canadian Chapters and over 100 members.

Hang in there Canada, we haven't forgotten you. We're working on it day and night.

Nick

PS We at NACHI are so very thankful to Chris for all his hard work. FREA is simply the best.

Steve,

Members of FREA have access to Group Health. I have my E&O policy and Professional Liability policy through them, and trust me, there is no group health with it.

I don’t know Blaine. I mean the more we can get for our money, the better you know. It says right there on the site that each policy includes the benefit pack. Now it does say ‘to qualifying members’. Does that mean if you qualify that you receive the health benefits, accident coverage, dental, eye, etc. at no extra charge? Or if you qualify, they can offer you those extras…for an extra fee?

I've written to them to try and get some clarification and will let you know what I find out. I just thought that if all the other benefits came with it, well, obviously you're paying for it. So if you have your own health benefits already (like I do) can you drop the extras from FREA and just pay for the E&O and bond?