FPE Panels

Originally Posted By: jpope
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

I’ve had to deal with some scarey panels in my day. I’ve heard horror stories about FPE panels but have never come across one until today. . .

In the rain. . .

Standing in a puddle. . .

Funny thing is, nothing happened. Notice how the dead-front cover can't be removed without tripping the main, 50 amp breaker.

For those of you who may not know, these should ALWAYS be written up as in need of further evaluation, regardless of whether they look "okay" or not.

--
Jeff Pope
JPI Home Inspection Service
"At JPI, we'll help you look better"
(661) 212-0738

Originally Posted By: Blaine Wiley

Actually, I doubt I would have opened the panel in the rain standing in a puddle. Too easy to icon_eek.gif

Originally Posted By: jmyers

Blaine,

Now that is where our veteran experience comes into play. Any fool knows you have to grab the ground rod when opening the panel while standing in a puddle of water! ![icon_biggrin.gif](upload://iKNGSw3qcRIEmXySa8gItY6Gczg.gif)

Joe Myers

It was cold that day (44 degrees, cold for CA) so I was wearing gloves, plus surgical gloves underneath, insulated tools, good rubber soled shoes and safety glasses. I felt fairly confident that I was well insulated and protected.

Besides, having never seen one personally, I had to see what was behind the cover ![icon_biggrin.gif](upload://iKNGSw3qcRIEmXySa8gItY6Gczg.gif)

Maybe not the smartest choice (curiosity killed the cat ![icon_wink.gif](upload://ssT9V5t45yjlgXqiFRXL04eXtqw.gif) ) but it turned out okay.

--
Jeff Pope
(661) 212-0738

Originally Posted By: Blaine Wiley

Jeff,

I'm glad you made out ok. The moisture on your gloves, coat, etc. could carry that current.

You can always go back and check it on a dry day. I have and will again.

Be safe out there. We don't want to lose any of our good NACHI inspectors.

Originally Posted By: Bob Badger

The guys I work with refer to FPE as something different than Federal Pacific Equipment.

FPE = *#@*ing Poor Equipment. ![icon_lol.gif](upload://zEgbBCXRskkCTwEux7Bi20ZySza.gif)

--
Bob (AKA iwire)
ECN Discussion Forums
Mike Holt Code Forum

Bob,

I always thought the "E" was for electric! ![icon_question.gif](upload://t2zemjDOQRADd4xSC3xOot86t0m.gif)

Joe Myers

Originally Posted By: Bob Badger

jmyers wrote:
Bob,

I always thought the "E" was for electric! ![icon_question.gif](upload://t2zemjDOQRADd4xSC3xOot86t0m.gif)

Joe Myers

You may be right, I may be just mixing the real name with our slang name for it.

--
Bob (AKA iwire)
ECN Discussion Forums
Mike Holt Code Forum

Originally Posted By: roconnor

[Good link to FPE panel article/information]

http://www.codecheck.com/pdf/electrical/240overcurrent/FPE%20Article%20from%20DH%20-%20Nov2003.pdf

--
Robert O'Connor, PE
Eagle Engineering ?
Eagle Eye Inspections ?
NACHI Education Committee

I am absolutely amazed sometimes by how much thought goes into doing things wrong

Originally Posted By: jpeck

Jeff,

Don't worry about standing in that puddle ... worry about those bottom breakers you flipped off falling back down to the 'on' position.

I think I've seen one other manufacturer who had vertically operating breakers where the bottom set was 'ON' down, but I can't remember who it was. Now, with FPE, all too common.

--
Jerry Peck
South Florida

Originally Posted By: Mike Parks

How many of you have read Robert’s link?

Look at the top of page 6 right side.

What are you going to do if an expert follows you and says the FPE panel does NOT need to be replaced?

Choice Dan Friedman or IAEI?

Give buyer the info but do not recommend a replacement unless you can prove it needs to be done.

BTW this call sould be made by a qualified person.

Mike P.

My recommendations for FPE and Zinsco panels are simple;

Zinsco and/or FPE panel systems are considered problematic by industry professionals. JPI recommends a complete evaluation of the systems integrity and performance by a State licensed electrical contractor.

I don't generally make "replacement" recommendations.

--
Jeff Pope
(661) 212-0738

Mike,

When I say "That is an FPE panel, and it needs to be replaced, for no other reason than it is an FPE panel.", then some "expert" comes in and says "That panel is okay. Give me proof otherwise.", my response to my client, the "expert" and all others it this:

Have the "expert" provide that in writing, with a warranty to back it up and replace it if there ever is a "problem" with it. Get a copy of his license and insurance, because you will surely need it some day.

Now, how many "experts" will do that? Would you?

So far, and that issue has come up a few times, only "once" has the "expert" provided a written letter. End result? There was a fire in that panel 6 months later. Long story short, that "expert" lost his license over it.

--
Jerry Peck
South Florida

Originally Posted By: B Ray

Welcome to FPE “heaven” ,I have changed out several FPE panel ,including in my own home. I’ve seen a hot tub placed on a 2 pole 20 and never even think about tripping. I’m a residential Electrical Contractor and some of the things I’ve seen will scare you , but most folks here have seen the same if not more, I hear Lowes is giving a class on " Wire your own house and save money" nachi_sarcasm.gif anything to save a buck …

Originally Posted By: jkiesecker

I flagged an FPE panel and the home owner had his electrician write a statement that the panel was up to code icon_confused.gif I had the buyer call the electrician themselves and ask if it was safe and if he would put it in writing that it is safe. He told the buyer he wouldnt have one in his house.

“Success usually comes to those who are too busy to be looking for it”

I have to agree with Jerry P on this one, get it in writing.

Joe Myers

What you are doing is asking me to prove it is good.

Your job is to prove it "bad" since you are the one calling it out.

If you are going to say that the industry says "********", then you must prove your statement(s).

Would I have one in my home? NO.

Would I have a 150amp panel? NO.

Both of the above are allowed.

Bottom line is can you show me, not web links, prove of the FPE panels being unsafe in a residential application?

The burden of prove is on those who make the statement that something is bad.

If I say a two story house is unsafe, I should have to prove that statement. The owner of the home should not have to prove me wrong.

Mike P.

Mike,

We don't have to prove it is bad, any more than we have to "prove" that a roof is bad.

If it is bad, and we call it that way, let the seller "prove" it is not bad.

There is no practical way anyone can "prove" something is good or bad.

That's what courtrooms are for, if it gets that far.

We say it needs to be replaced. It's got problems. It's problematic. Replace it.

We point to evidence like "Mike Parks, a licensed electrician, would not have one in his house either." You, having to now defend that it is good, yet having said you would not have one in your house either, are in a bind.

The question from the judge now becomes "Mr. Parks, WHY would you not want one in your house.", with a follow up question of "Now, why do you feel it DOES NOT need to be replaced?"

--
Jerry Peck
South Florida

“Mr. Parks, WHY would you not want one in your house.”

Response: Because there are better products on the market today. While the FPE panel is considered to be safe, as per the IAEI, I choose to err on the side of safety. My statement regarding that the FPE panel did not need to be replaced is that there was (were) no patent defects found at the time of my inspection.

To all you may use my comments, if not taken out of context, for your clients. EDIT: regarding this topic.

If a homeowner asks if this FPE panel is safe and code compliant, I must says yes. Does this mean it will always be safe? No one knows.

For buyers I do point to the public views on these panels and let them know that I can not say it is a defect.

As an electrician I would recommend an upgrade.

As an ESI I could not say this is an unsafe condition.

Mike P.

Mike P.: “If a homeowner asks if this FPE panel is safe and code compliant, I must says yes.”

Jerry P.: If a homeowner asks if this FPE panel is safe and code compliant, I must say, to the "safe" part of the question, that is very debatable, evidence has shown there to be significant problems in many breakers and panels. Are they "code compliant"? Yes, they still meet code. But then so are ungrounded receptacles in an older home with ungrounded circuits, as long as you do not replace one, then you must meet the new requirements. And you are not allowed to install NEW ungrounded circuits or receptacles, so "safe"? Nope. Not by today's standards of safety.

--
Jerry Peck
South Florida