Free Beer

Originally Posted By: kmcmahon
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

I buy a free beer (at a function I see you at) to anyone that can correctly identify what this picture represents and what’s wrong with it. icon_biggrin.gif

Wisconsin Home Inspection, ABC Home Inspection LLC

Search the directory for a Wisconsin Home Inspector

Originally Posted By: jpeck

Hard to tell what we are looking at, but it looks like either a garage door or a multi-panel door. Is it mounted vertically or horizontally? I kind of go for the garage door.

But, how is the light sticking over to the left side behind whatever it is behind.

Also don't know if you removed the light cover, the wiring cover, and does the door (or whatever it is mounted to) swing, slide or go up?

Also looks like the ground wire is not connected. If it is a door, how is it wired?

Are we supposed to be able to tell what is wrong from the photo? (I.e., we can't see how it is wired.)

--
Jerry Peck
South Florida

Originally Posted By: tallen

no no no Jerry,

It is a closet and the light is for an illegal growing operation ![icon_lol.gif](upload://zEgbBCXRskkCTwEux7Bi20ZySza.gif) ![icon_lol.gif](upload://zEgbBCXRskkCTwEux7Bi20ZySza.gif) and the ground is not connected

--
I have put the past behind me,
where , however, it now sits, making rude remarks.

www.whiteglovehomeinspections.net

30 Oct 2003-- 29 Nov2005

Originally Posted By: shuggins

How about a attic door, the picture is being taken from the closet floor level. I think ground is disconnected?

Spencer Huggins

H & H Inspection Services, LLC

Piedmont, Oklahoma

spencer@hhinspections.com

http//www.hhinspections.com

Oklahoma NACHI Chapter Vice President
shuggins@ok.nachi.org

Originally Posted By: jpeck

Todd,

Considered that, but not enough light for that. ![icon_biggrin.gif](upload://iKNGSw3qcRIEmXySa8gItY6Gczg.gif)

Then there is that pesky end of the light going to the left???

Is that mounted on ???

I'm open to all ideas, that 'door' pattern is bugging me.

--
Jerry Peck
South Florida

Originally Posted By: rcallis

Just a guess, but is the left end connected to a switch or pull chain that turns the light on when the door is opened?

Reggie

Originally Posted By: tgardner

I’d like to think that you’d buy me a beer evn if I can’t figure out why someone would want to light up a door behind a panel. I-know it’s a tracing table! - tg

Originally Posted By: kdemski

a hatch cover propped open with a light fixture.

Originally Posted By: gbeaumont

OK Kevin,

please put us out of our misery ![icon_lol.gif](upload://zEgbBCXRskkCTwEux7Bi20ZySza.gif) ![icon_lol.gif](upload://zEgbBCXRskkCTwEux7Bi20ZySza.gif)

A couple of thoughts, is the picture the right way around, as the "inner" part looks like the top of a standard door and frame, but it is upside down if that is the case. The "outer part looks a little like a silder/patio door, but I just cannot figure out what the heck that arrangement is all about

Regards

Gerry

--
Gerry Beaumont
NACHI Education Committee
e-mail : education@nachi.org
NACHI phone 484-429-5466

Inspection Depot Education
gbeaumont@inspectiondepot.com

"Education is a journey, not a destination"

Originally Posted By: rmagee

I am going with the attic hatch answer. If in a closet I guess the fixture can supply light in the closet when the hatch is closed and light for the attic when open.

The problem is that this type of fixture is supposed to be permanently attached to something that does not move. The 14/2 wire that it is connected to is not supposed to be used to connect to moveable items.

Just a guess.

The installation very unusual and that alone might make it worthy of "evaluation by a licensed electrician".

Anyway, if I am right I'll have a bud. If you are willing to travel to New Brunswick to buy the beer I'll arrange some sort of function

--
Rick Magee
Building Check Ltd.
Fredericton, N.B. Canada
1-506-454-3332
bcheck@nbnet.nb.ca
"check with a professional"

Sorry for the delay…I was away on a marketing trip for the weekend.

The picture is a flourescent fixture attached to the removable attic door.There was 8' of free romex on top of the door, so you could move it easily (but not without any dangers obviously. The attic door was directly above the bathroom vanity and it had a lens cover to totally conceal that there was attic access. Spent 1/2 hour with the buyer trying to figure out where the attic access was, and finally guessed it was behind that lens...& when we popped it out...there as the door. ![icon_rolleyes.gif](upload://iqxt7ABYC2TEBomNkCmZARIrQr6.gif)

--

xxxx

just trying to see what happened…the thread was still at the bottom and didn’t register my posts for some reason??? icon_question.gif