Pennsylvania Compliance Issue Needs an Explanation

Originally Posted By: jremas
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

I along with others in NACHI received this as an email today. I was hesitant to put this up but it needs immediate attention and explanation due to the importance of this issue. It appears as though it was also sent to Joe Hagarty and Nick Gromicko and I talked to Joe tonight so he is aware.

Jeff Remas
REMAS Inspections, Inc.
Northeastern PA & the Poconos
www.NEPAinspector.com

570-362-1598

Originally Posted By: Nick Gromicko

I got the same email. I think it is a fake. No judge signature and filed in a county court… and we never received service. You cannot get a judgment in any state in the U.S. without first serving the defendant and hearing from them in court.

I'll go down to the court house and check next Tuesday. If PHIC really filed this document at the prothonotory they did it by lying about service. I talked to our attorneys and they have not received service either. I've never seen the complaint and it is invalid without proof of service. If it is a real document, I'll have it reversed faster than you can say "lack of proof of service."

I only wish it were real so I could take them on in court, but unfortunately it is either invalid or fake.

Nick

Originally Posted By: jfarsetta

I, too, believe its a fake. There is no person in the Chester County Court by the name of Judith Sullivan. Listed protonotaries are Bryan Walters and an assittant. They are listed in the Historic Courthouse.

No one by the signator's name can be found anywhere in the County Court directory, wither individually or via departmental listing.

Additionally, the stamp in the upper right is smeared, with the only discernable nymbers being "86".

A bigger question is why this e-mail was sent, and by whom.

--
Joe Farsetta

Illigitimi Non Carborundum
"Dont let the bastards grind you down..."

Either its fake or the proof of service doesn’t exist which means I’ll overturn it.

Either way is fine.

Nick

I’d love to see a reply from the Chester County Courthouse on the matter, posted as to the authenticity of the doc. Then we go after who e-mailed it…

Joe Farsetta

I’ll be in that county on Tuesday and I’ll find out then. It may be legitimately recorded at the Prothonotory but done using a fake judgement or a real judgement issued, but based on fake proof of service. You’ll notice the wording says we didn’t respond (because we didn’t receive it).

Wouldn't a fake judgement say something about us now instead of something about us in the past?

I'll bet it was procured using a false verification of service statement.

In any case, it won't last long.

I hesitate to pin this on ASHI guys unfairly. Let's wait and see. Seem a bit desperate even for ASHI guys.

Nick

Originally Posted By: jremas

It was explained to me by one of our members that the NACHI address is a drop box and there is no physical address to locate any part of this organization therefore making it almost impossible to serve anyone.

Jeff Remas
REMAS Inspections, Inc.
Northeastern PA & the Poconos
www.NEPAinspector.com

570-362-1598

Originally Posted By: rpalac

Isn’t Judy Sullivan>>>>“JUDGE JUDY”?

I must have missed that show

I’m not convinced. I’m no fan of ASHI but ASHI guys aren’t idiots. They’d think it all out first.

If not fake, they know that I'd find out about it eventually and get it reversed. Then I'd have yet another county official agreeing that NACHI is a national association (as if it isn't) which would be opposite of what they want. They'd also have to explain lack of proof of service.

In any case, such a futile attempt would make them the cheap shot scum of our industry. Its too stupid and dirty for ASHI guys.

Nick

Originally Posted By: jmyers

Don’t lose sight that this is what they want, they are losing a lot of members to NACHI every day. To those that are looking at this, I say let Nick and Joe H take care of this and keep on doing what you do best, home inspections.

Every day NACHI members take a little more of their market share and their share of members. Just go on doing what will make you successful and let the big wigs take care of this.

If you get too involved in this, they win. That is what they want, they want you to waste your time on dumb stuff like this so you don't have time to do inspections and take their share of the pie.

Jeff, that was pretty distasteful to post this and panic our members. It is pretty hard to believe a member as smart as yourself would fall prey to this kind of crap-o-la.

Joe Myers

I’m not convinced this stunt was pulled by an ASHI member. As you know, years ago, I did a lot of ring time with ASHI in court. They fight straight up and they think things out.

This is too stupid and scummy to be ASHI or any ASHI member.

Nick

Originally Posted By: jpope

jmyers wrote:
Jeff, that was pretty distasteful to post this and panic our members. It is pretty hard to believe a member as smart as yourself would fall prey to this kind of crap-o-la.

I agree. This is a bit "low."

I've had my fair share of dealings with the legal system. This doesn't appear to me to be an official document. It certainly isn't a true copy of an original. These stamps don't wash out.

![](upload://2bxqiTdnWNFW64P79PIN2IEPwRW.jpeg)

Jeff, if your intentions were "pure" you would have confirmed the validity of this prior to posting it. What are your real motives here?

Even if this turns out to be valid, what are you trying to accomplish? Your personal adgenda seems to be affecting your judgement.

Stand and support your position.

If you have an issue, make it public. Stop jumping around and starting these little fires.

--
Jeff Pope
JPI Home Inspection Service
"At JPI, we'll help you look better"
(661) 212-0738

It’s either real in which case it is a cheap stunt by ASHI members from PHIC and ASHI member Joe Kelly,

or

it's a hoax.

I hope for ASHI's honor it isn't the former. I don't think any ASHI member would actually lie to a judge.

I'll know by the end of the day.

Nick

I spoke too soon.

Bad news for ASHI... it backfired already and it's not even lunch time.

Our attorneys at Carosella and Ferry have verified that it WAS PHIC and Joe Kelly (ASHI) and they have no proof of service. Cheap.

Despite the order having no consequence after May 6th, our attorneys have already filed a petition to re-open followed by a motion to strike.

Do they really think these little speed bumps are going to slow down the world's biggest and best home inspection association? Sissies.

What's next? Maybe they can let the air out of the tires on Joe Hagarty's HouseMaster trucks, take pics, and email to everyone.

Pathetic.

Nick

Originally Posted By: jrice

Nick,

Thanks for getting this thing cleared up so fast.

Jeff

Dont give 'em any ideas for Joe H’s trucks, please! icon_lol.gif

Joe Farsetta

Originally Posted By: Joe Kelly

I am not trying to hide anything, As a matter of fact I have tried numerous times to provide information. I informed all on this board about this in another thread, Pa membership, and I guess no one bothered to check?

?Update 3-1-04

After having yet again refused to substantively answer any of the questions of compliance with Pennsylvania?s ACT 114, the Home Inspector?s law, which have been asked numerous times since February of 2002, Mr. Gromicko filed suit against myself and PHIC for having dared to ask said questions.

I know that if my livelihood and professional stature depended on certain points of law I would demand nothing less than full disclosure from the organization I base my reputation on.

It has been NACHI?s defense that I, or we, have no right to ask these questions and therefore they do not have to answer. That is true, however the questions still go unanswered.

On July 24, 2003, Mr. Gromicko posted the proposed law suit against PHIC, and me personally. The complaint was actually filed on 8-1-03 and served several weeks later. As required, a timely response of Preliminary Objections was filed in mid September of 2003. These preliminary objections basically stated that the complaint filed did not meet requirements of the Pennsylvania rules of civil procedure, contain the actual writings described in the original complaint, and that as plead the counts are wholly inadequate. As required by law, NACHI was given 20 days to file a written response and as of yet has not responded.

At the same time of our response to NACHI?s complaint, 9-25-03, a counter-suit asking for Declaratory Judgment was filed. This complaint basically asks a judge to formally pose the same questions asked numerous times in hopes of finally having someone in a position of authority able to verify compliance of ACT 114. I will not post the complaint but it is a matter of public record in the Chester County Court of Common Pleas, Case #03-07803 for those who would like to investigate. Mr. Gromicko is now in possession of this document and may wish to post it for your information? One line from the complaint, and posed with every question, sums up the whole thing. Upon information and belief defendant NACHI was not at the time of the effective date of the Home Inspection Law and is not presently a National Home Inspection organization as defined in the ACT.

It has taken until now, almost a full six months, to be able to deliver this complaint because the physical addresses given by NACHI, 1220 Valley Forge RD, and 518 Kimberton Rd., are mail box facilities. After numerous attempts the Sheriff?s department was unable to locate a physical address for this cyber-space organization. A recent volley of email communications between Mr. Gromicko and myself, last weekend, gave us the authority to serve his attorney, which has now been done.

Among other things, this volley of emails asked that I not receive the unsolicited notifications of NACHI meetings, as I have done several times before yet still receive. While the door was open, Mr. Gromicko was again asked to answer the questions of compliance. His response was again less than complete referring to his unverifiable web site claims. Mr. Gromicko did propose a settlement, ?Give NACHI it's share of PHIC and call a truce.? My response was, ?I don't understand what you mean by this? There is no share to be given, NACHI has always been welcome to share in our efforts, all we request is that you answer those 7 questions. We met with Joe H. and would welcome him to our upcoming meeting but with pending litigation it is not possible. Drop the suit, answer the questions, welcome aboard.? And Nick?s response was ?We will agree to provide you with all this stuff (it's on our website) once I have been given a seat on PHIC's board.? To which I replied, ?No one can give anyone a seat, you must be elected by the membership.? To which he replied, ?Get me elected on the condition that once appointed to the board I will give you anything you ask. You can make it conditional, but since you drew first blood, you should put me on first.? This is where I ended our communication since it appears I am being asked to do something unethical to avoid litigation?

Draw your own conclusions from this information, I will not be responding to any further posts on this topic. Since the questions of compliance have not been answered in over 2 years, and it does not appear they will be soon, there is no other option than to have a Judge ask the questions.?

I don?t understand how Nick can claim no knowledge of the suit for Declaratory Judgment. We met with Joe Haggerty on 2-2-04 and hand delivered it to him at that time. It was emailed to Nick shortly thereafter. The declaratory judgment was filed along with our preliminary objections to the suit against us on 9-16-03, however because Nachi does not have a physical address that the Sheriffs office could locate it took over 5 months to finally be able to serve the suit.

This is the written permission from Nick to serve his Attorney on 2-22-04;

NACHI is represented by counsel and so can be served at the law offices of the counsel who initiated the action. Jim Munnis' contact info is at www.nachi.org/contact.htm Your legal counsel surely knows he can serve an entity by serving it's cousel.

Nick

PS Would you like to settle? I have a proposal.

On 2-23-04 the papers were drawn up and the Sheriff was asked to serve Mr. Munnis. On 3-3-04 a letter was sent to Mr. Munnis verifying that he was indeed the proper venue for service, and service was made to Nachi and Nick, through counsel on 3-15-04. That is the date when the 20 day response period started. In an email on 4-16-04 Nick states he is aware that he and Nachi are in default.

?Today I was informed by your attorney, Phillip D. Berger, that you secretly kept your lawsuits in effect and that NACHI is now in default for failing to respond.?
?Please let me know that this is some sort of clerical error, that it will be corrected, and that I need not re-file on Monday morning amending to include all members of PHIC.?

?4-16-04, my response;
There is no foolishness going on, only a search for the truth. When we met with Joe H. it was for an open exchange of information and to open lines of communication, which I believe happened. There is, nor was, any "Gentleman's Agreement." The only mention was the same one we had during our last volley of emails, "Drop the suit, answer the questions, and welcome aboard." You did drop the suit, and Joe said he would try and answer the questions, which are still unanswered. The whole purpose of the Declaratory Judgment was to finally bring this to closure by having the questions answered in a court of law.

Answer the questions wholly, truthfully, and provide verification of those answers and this will all go away. Intimidation and threats are not the answers.

Where is the secrecy you imply? You dropped your suit on 3-8-04, ours wasn't served to you until 3-15??

As you can see Nick and his counsel were fully aware of this law suit and chose not to respond. It is a shame that it has come down to this since it has always been so easy to resolve over the past years, simply answer the questions.

On 5-5-04 Nachi & counsel were formally notified of being in default and given an additional 10 day grace period to respond. On 5-6-04 the default judgment was filed and could have easily been rescinded during the grace period. I gave it another 10 days to see if there would be even a late response, nothing. Remember I did not post the judgment on your web site. I don?t understand all this denial, accusations, and again threats? Just formally answer the questions and provide verifiable proof, what is so hard about that?

Nick and his counsel have all this formal documentation, nothing is being hidden, except from the membership. If you file a motion to reopen it brings us back to the same place we were in February of 2002, answer the questions and it all goes away.

I won?t go into name calling but Nick is right, this is ?pathetic?

I still haven’t seen the complaint because unlike UPS, FedEx, and ASHI before you… you failed to thoroughly read: http://www.nachi.org/contact.htm

Email or a message board post is not proper service in PA. Go back to law school since you aren't doing many inspections. It certainly appears you have enough free time.

Get a life dude ![icon_rolleyes.gif](upload://iqxt7ABYC2TEBomNkCmZARIrQr6.gif) .

Nick

PS. Can someone check http://www.nachi.org/memberlist/featured/all.htm to see if we have members in 10 states yet ?

Originally Posted By: jhagarty

Joe Kelly wrote:

It has been NACHI?s defense that I, or we, have no right to ask these questions and therefore they do not have to answer. That is true, however the questions still go unanswered.

We met with Joe H. and would welcome him to our upcoming meeting but with pending litigation it is not possible. .

I won?t go into name calling but Nick is right, this is ?pathetic?

Joe:

There currently is no requirement that I am aware of that any HI Organization is required to be a member of PHIC in the State of PA. Your questions represent no authority and do not require an answer by NACHI. You stated this as fact and posted it on numerous occasions.

NACHI sought to resolve all differences of Opinion. There is no reason that I am aware of that NACHI, ASHI, NAHI, etc... can not Professionally coexist and operate within the Continental United States and beyond. You and others suggested that the only way to do that was a show of good faith by NACHI in withdrawing pending Litigation. This was done. There was a Gentleman's Agreement.

Conversations in the early part of the year were to resolve differences between NACHI and the local PA Chapters of NAHI and ASHI. I had no expectation to be Personally or Organizationally included in PHIC.

--
Joseph Hagarty

HouseMaster / Main Line, PA
joseph.hagarty@housemaster.com
www.householdinspector.com

Phone: 610-399-9864
Fax : 610-399-9865

HouseMaster. Home inspections. Done right.

Joe Kelly,

Just like a bad penny, you always seem to turn up.

Only problem is that no one really cares what you are saying. The more things change, the more they stay the same, apparently.

See you in court, babe...

--
Joe Farsetta