Software?

Originally Posted By: John Davco Jr.
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

What software works the best ?

Is the Palm system better that a paper check list?

Could anybody answer these questions?

Jack

Originally Posted By: jmyers

I use Microsoft Word, mostly because you can pick up the new XP version for around $90. It offers flexibility using the auto correct feature.

Joe Myers

--
Joe Myers
A & N Inspections, Inc.
http://anii.biz

Originally Posted By: rwills

Jack, I too am considering switching from my paper report to one of the HI software products but there seems to be so damn many! I’m curious as to things such as “boiler plates” relating to the software. It took a long time to perfect my paper report so you can bet I’ll do some extensive research before I make the transition! I still doubt I’ll process onsite reports that I hear so much about, they seem so generic not to mention the chance your taking on getting ripped off by the dishonest people who have report in hand then decide to cancel the check (or bounce one off you). P.S. See if you can conjure up Erby from B4UClose, I believe he may use the Palm product…Bob W

Originally Posted By: ecrofutt

Try losing your connection for three days. It sucks, but I’m back up again.

I use the Palm-Tech Software with the HP Jornada 728.

Some notes on switching to software.

1. Decide how you are going to do business with your software.
a. Fully computerizied, printing reports on site.
b. Use a handheld or laptop or desktop on site to enter notes then
return to office to review, print reports, etc.
(yes, some people have a desktop setup in their vehicle.)
c. Use a tape recorder and paper notes on site, then return to office
to enter data and print report.

2. Pick your hardware. (You can try these out at places like Best Buy or CompUSA.)
a. Palm-Pilot pda (Compaq IPAQ)
b. HP Jornada 728
c. One of the other pen tablet computers available, i.e. Sony Clio
d. Laptop
e. Desktop

Don't forget the printer. Get one that fits how you are going to do business, i.e. digital photos. Do they print fast.

3. Pick your software. Go online and request demo disks or download demos from the websites. There are several and some have specific hardware requirements. 3D uses Palm-pilots like the Compaq IPAQ. Palm-Tech uses the Jornada 728. Either of them can be used by laptop or desktop without the handheld.

I prefer the database type of software like Palm-Tech versus the Microsoft Word shortcut key version. Others I know prefer the Word types. There are several of each. Try them all. Once you pick, you're stuck for awhile.

Plan on spending a lot of time re-writing the boilerplate to fit your style. In my view, none of the boilerplate, in any of the demos I tried (about 12)is written very well. However, you can use the boilerplate in all the demo's to get ideas for your own boilerplate. i.e. a boilerplate comment about anchor bolts reminds you that you need to have a comment or two of your own about anchor bolts.

Try to attend a national or state organization conference where these vendors are displaying their wares. Do the touchy feely thing.

Good luck,

Erby Crofutt
B4U Close Home Inspections
Georgetown, KY
www.b4uclose.com

One thing you should consider when purchasing software is flexibility. When someone designs a template for you, you are usually stuck with what they want you to have in their report. When you use a product like Word you can cater the report to your own individual needs and styles.

Just some thoughts on the software.

Joe Myers

Erby, I downloaded the trial version of Palm-Tech and must say I am quite impressed with it. It’s a lot like the 3-D report I use now. The only drawbacks I see is Carrying the Jornado with you and trying to type as you go. Very expensive piece of equipment to drop also. I still wouldn’t use it to print on-site reports however, it seems you can upload from the palmheld to your desktop and expand on it or fine tune the report if you will! Thanks, Bob

Bob,

Why wouldn't you use it for on site reports?

Joe Myers

Joe, There are two reasons I don’t like on site reports at least presently.

First, I’ve been using my paper report since day one and as the saying goes"you can’t teach an old dog new tricks", Not that I’m old or anything. Secondly, I like to be able to go home and go over the inspection alone, without the entourage that probably followed me around that day. I’d hate to hand someone an onsite report then on the way home say to myself,“Oh S—, I forgot to put in that there was no main beam”(exaggeration). Did I say two reasons?, O.K. Four: Third is, and not that I don’t trust people but, You hand someone a report that just happened to forget their checkbook and of course, “I’ll mail it to you”. If your lucky it comes someday. Fourth, I just fell that for the money people are paying for the report, pumping one out onsite just seems to generic. Fifth, O.K.,last one, I can’t afford the software and hardware anyway. Of course next year when I own it this whole message won’t mean a thing. As my wise Grandmother used to tell me,“A wise man often changes his mind, but a damn fool never does”…Bob

Bob,

The cost of doing your own on site report can be somewhat expensive. Of course it is defenitely nice to be able to sit down at the end of the day and go over the reports you created earlier.

For me that adds up to extra time I do not want to spend on this job. Most of my inspections are 2 1/2 to 3 1/2 hours total time and spending more time on it just means I have less time to make money elsewhere.

I have learned from talking to other NACHI members, that used to do the paper checklist style reports, the on site reports are saving them loads of time. They have been stating to me that they could only do 1 day, 2 if they were really small jobs. Now they are doing 2 a day with time to spare in most cases. I really could not say since I have never done the checklist style but what they say makes sense.

I am pretty lucky when it comes to getting paid, not to many of my clients forget their checkbook. When they do I know the agents well enough that I usually do not get screwed, only once so far....they are making payments! HA HA HA HA....so they say!

Anyway...there is some really good equipment out there at a relatively low cost...if you need some help just give me a yell....I keep pretty up to date on new advancements in technology.

Joe Myers

Joe, Like I say, I’ll probably make a transition and give onsites a shot next year, but with the holidays around the corner and things slowing down a bit my hands are tied. I’m sure if I switch I’ll probably be kicking myself in the keester for not doing it sooner but,what the hey!, good things come to those who wait. Or so they say!..Bob

Did I read here somewhere that someone uses the inspectvue ( I think that is what it is called ) software.

Joe Myers

There all software!

Originally Posted By: jremas

So far so good with Inspectit software but had to call tech support a few time to learn a few tricks. Does anyone have any problems with Inspectit or tried it and had problems? How about some insight.

Hello Jeff,

3-D is sending me their latest version of inspection software. Of course the trial version. Once I take a look at it I would be more than happy to send you a copy. Of course you can always ask them to send you a copy.

The email stated the only difference is that this software will write sample on the printed report.

Joe Myers

You can download the trial version of 3-D directly from their website!!

I already have the trial version but I decided on the Inspecit software. The 3-d was nice but I was not thrilled with it. I am not ready to pump out a ton of money yet until I get “in the groove” and see exactly what I want. For now, the Inspectit cost me $6 for each report, cheaper than any paper reports I can find.

Originally Posted By: gbell

I agree Inspectit is a great program. I bought mine in 98. Once you change it to suit you it works great. If you get a chance to buy The Illustrated Home do it, you will never regret the purchase. I use it all the time it is much easier to show a client a diagram of what you are explaining to them. Another tip if you haven’t thought of it allready is to burn a cd of the report and any photos you have taken. This is a very easy way to store the data for future use.

Greg Bell

Bell Inspection Service

Jeff,

How the HE** do they know how many reports you write?

Anyway, thanks for the insight on the software. I hope all works out well for you.

Joe Myers

Joe, Inspectit makes you download the reports to your computer. You purchase them in blocks of 10. When you need more, you spend another $60 on ten more. You can edit them, but they can only be used once. I still find this cheaper for now. If you do a lot of inspections, you can spend about $50 a month and get unlimited reports.

Hey,

Someday you and I have some spare time can we get together so you can show me that report?

Are you scheduling jobs yet?

Being the "copper" you should know just about everyone in Philly! icon_smile.gif

Joe Myers