Broward County Garage "Code"?

Originally Posted By: hgordon
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

At what point where “hurricane brace bars” required at garage doors?

What is the proper name for these?

Originally Posted By: jhagarty

Hmmmm.

Broward County, Florida

Construction Code Related

Jerry Peck will have the correct answer.

I will be disappointed if he does not.

--
Joseph Hagarty

HouseMaster / Main Line, PA
joseph.hagarty@housemaster.com
www.householdinspector.com

Phone: 610-399-9864
Fax : 610-399-9865

HouseMaster. Home inspections. Done right.

Originally Posted By: jpeck

hgordon wrote:
At what point where "hurricane brace bars" required at garage doors?

What is the proper name for these?

Harvey,

Because of your terminology and quotes, I can state that "hurricane brace bars" are not required.

Now, if worded differently, it would be like this: Garage doors must be tested and rated for both wind pressure and impact resistance (unless they are to be shuttered over - which is not real practical). To do meet this, manufacturers use different bracing methods, one of which is the brace bars you are referring to (or at least what I think you are referring to).

Okay, when were garage doors required to meet the new wind pressure and impact requirements?

Depends. ![icon_smile.gif](upload://b6iczyK1ETUUqRUc4PAkX83GF2O.gif)

(Okay, that was a 'smarty pants' answer. )

This is because from right after Hurricane Andrew until September 1, 1994, there were many code changes which came into effect, went out of effect, were changed and changed again. The most defensible answer is "September 1, 1994, when the new 1994 South Florida Building Code went into effect." However, many builders did not want to build to the more stringent code (gee, and leave their customers exposed to greater damage? what builder would do that?) so they pulled thousands of building permits to get those houses in under the old code. Therein lies another problem, something the cities did not enforce, but that is for another day).

September 1, 1994. Except for the thousands of homes permitted under the old code and built over the following two years.

(Joe H. - Thanks for putting me on the spot ![icon_smile.gif](upload://b6iczyK1ETUUqRUc4PAkX83GF2O.gif) I was at an all day seminar on Wednesday: Advanced Code - Wind Load, Part 1 and Part 2, so this question was timely - but I already knew the above answer.)

--
Jerry Peck
South Florida

Originally Posted By: hgordon

You Da Man Jerry!