Tablet PC Anyone?

Originally Posted By: rdawes
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

As a newbie, I’ve done quite a bit of study of the various software packages and have pretty much made up my mind on HomeGauge. (PV doesn’t do Texas). HG seems to recommend using a tablet PC.

I've played with a few at the stores and they are indeed kinda cool. However, that's not the real world. So my question:

Do any of you use a table PC in the field? How is it working out? Did any of you try one and then go back to a regular laptop? If you use a tablet PC, which one?

Thanks for the help.

Ron

Originally Posted By: sramos

Ron-

I use Homegauge and the recommended Tablet PC. I am very happy withg the performance. It has increased my efficiency significantly. Watch the Homegauge tutorials on how Russell uses the system because it will be important if you want to maximize the benefits of using a system like this one.

With that said, it is very important that you know it will take many inspections before the software becomes yours. As with any software that is useful, it requires your customizations with respect to the narratives. This can take 50-100 inpsections before it is solid.

Good luck,

Steve

--
Steven Ramos
EnviroVue Home Inspection
866-541-2883

Originally Posted By: syared

Ditto on the tablet PC with Homegauge software, It’s Great! After a year and a half with it I’m still revising the narratives, so that part is ongoing but very easy to do.

Originally Posted By: jball

Ron,

I don’t use Homegauge but I do use an Acer tablet C111TCI. The light weight. flexible tablet works very well for me in the field. I don’t think I’ll ever go back to lugging my lap top around.

Originally Posted By: rdawes

Thanks for the replies and info. I’ll evaluate further.

Originally Posted By: kluce

I use to use my Acer C100 tablet computer all the time at the job site and loved it. I stopped using it due to the type of advertising I do. It requires me to go back and write up the report at the office. I use a voice recorder at this time. If it wasn’t because the way I’m advertising, I would be still using my tablet computer at the job site.

Originally Posted By: tgardner

I use an ACER C110 as well. Very happy with the handwriting recognition and voice recognition. I offer on-site reports for 50.00 extra.

These reports include photos annotated and placed appropriately in the report.

Would never so back to laptop only or Handheld PC.

Regards TG

PS. Dictated this email in less than one minute.

Originally Posted By: ddivito

I am handwriting this reply on my HP Compaq tc1100. It cost me $2400.-

I really love the keyboard that swivels and folds under the tablet. It can be removed and the tablet used on its own. It also comes with a zipper case that protects the unit from the elements.

I do not use Homeguage. I have developed my own software that is organized in tables with ample room for narrative comments.

I can’t say enough about the ease and flexibility of a tablet.

Originally Posted By: cjustus

I use a Panasonic tough-book Tablet. Very expensive but will be the last one I buy for another 5 years. Go to www.panasonic.com and look up the specs, very tough piece of iron. dont need to worry about dropping it either or getting it wet.