Equipment - Anyone use infared thermometers / laser levels?

Originally Posted By: jwatts1
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

I am debating wheter or not I should buy a thermometer or laser level? Anyone use them, pros or cons???!!?!?

Let me know....
Take Care,
Justin. ![icon_smile.gif](upload://b6iczyK1ETUUqRUc4PAkX83GF2O.gif)

Originally Posted By: troberts1

I use infered thermometer it is in stalled in my multi meter and is made by craftman and I love it.

Originally Posted By: gmackin

I am debating wheter or not I should buy a thermometer or laser level? Anyone use them, pros or cons???!!?!?

I use the infared thermometer to check hot water temp from faucet. The temp should not be over 120 degrees. I also use the thermometer to check every register for cooling or heating. Saves time, specially if register is on the ceiling or high on the wall. I use it to make sure every register is functioning. This tool saves me time and is well worth the 90 dollars. I have not looked into laser levels but I have looked at the smart levels. The smart level can tell you the pitch on drain lines,gutters,exhaust vent pipes, and roofs.

Originally Posted By: dvalley

Justin,

An infrared thermometer is a must in my bag. I utilize this for verifying heating, air conditioning, water temperature, circuit breaker temperature, radiant flooring and ceilings and just about any surface that temperature differential would be a concern. Point, aim and read make it so much easier than utilizing thermometers or touching the surface with your hand.

As for the laser level? This is one tool I can?t go without. I laser the exterior structure of every house. I place it along a smooth edge (preferably the cornice molding) of the house and shoot it towards the soffit and move my beam from front to rear of the soffit. I?ve found three homes that were out of level approx. 4-6 inches and all three had confirmed structural deficiencies in the basement structure and footings. Structural Engineer was recommended.
I then laser my interior floors for settlement. I try to get a long hallway that leads from the front of the home to the rear. If that?s not possible I laser the biggest rooms from one side to the other. I?m looking for major settlement. If I find a floor to have a settlement more than 2 inches, that?ll give me a reference point when I enter the basement. Upon entering the basement, I check that particular area thoroughly and most of the time there?s no major issue in that area. It?s just settlement over the years.
Utilizing a laser level is a great way to confirm suspicions throughout any home.

--
David Valley
MAB Member

Massachusetts Certified Home Inspections
http://www.masscertified.com

"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go."

Originally Posted By: jschwartz1

David,

Sounds like you are doing the right thing for the client. Where did you get your equipment from? price?

Jay

Originally Posted By: dvalley

INFRARED THERMOMETER

--
David Valley
MAB Member

Massachusetts Certified Home Inspections
http://www.masscertified.com

"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go."

Originally Posted By: adeerey

Fully agree

You can check every vent in home to see if it is working and the temp in about 5 min

I Also follow this exactly

I use the infared thermometer to check hot water temp from faucet. The temp should not be over 120 degrees. I also use the thermometer to check every register for cooling or heating. Saves time, specially if register is on the ceiling or high on the wall. I use it to make sure every register is functioning.

As for the laser level I use the pocket version, They can come in handy and great on slabs!
Aj
slab to shingle inc

--
This signature thing at the bottom is for what real purpose?

Originally Posted By: jschwartz1

David,

Thanks for the links, very helpful!

All I want for Christmas is some......

![](upload://k88RoNYbLBtKiycsK3DKye65fWt.gif)

Jay

Originally Posted By: kmcmahon

check ebay for the infrared thermometer. I bought mine new for $55

Wisconsin Home Inspection, ABC Home Inspection LLC

Search the directory for a Wisconsin Home Inspector

Originally Posted By: jmurray

troberts1 wrote:
I use infered thermometer it is in stalled in my multi meter and is made by craftman and I love it.

Ted, I have the same model (or very similar)!
For around $60.00 you get a professional multitester w/ infrared thermometer!
Sweet!

--
"A little less conversation and a little more action"!

Originally Posted By: jgallant

I’ve always used a pen style digital thermometer for measuring hot water temperatures. Never thought about using an infared for this before reading this thread. Just out of curiosity, I measured the hot water at an inspection this morning, first with my pen style thermometer, then with my infared, just to see if they matched. I first ran the hot water until I got a steady temperature.

My pen thermometer said it was 41.6 degrees Celsius and my infared said it was 36 degrees Celsius. I'd tend to trust my pen thermometer more. It seems the infared is very sensitive to distance from the object (at least mine is, it's a Raytek). I think the infared is good for measuring differential temperature readings, but not absolutes.

--
-Jim Gallant
Owner, All Point Home Inspections - Poulsbo, WA www.allpointinspections.com
Co-founder, ReportHost (Web-based report writing service) www.reporthost.com

Originally Posted By: troberts1

HI Jim,

That is interesting, the first time I used my infared I took the cover off the water heater it was set at 120 degrees I took a reading at the faucet and it read 118 degrees. My infared is built into my multi meter and the meter also has a thermometer probe when I used the probe it read 119 degrees. I still use the infered more than the probe.