Is your home inspector blind?
Licensing of home inspectors, where required, only sets a minimum standard. Much like being up to code, anything less would be illegal. Under this low bar, theoretically, children, psychics (who claim to "sense" if a house is OK), pets, and even the blind can be home inspectors. Other home inspection associations have no entrance requirements and, worse, encourage their associates to go out and perform actual inspections for poor, unsuspecting consumers as the only way to achieve full membership. InterNACHI finds this practice unconscionable. We turn down more than 60% of the inspectors who want to join InterNACHI because they can't pass our Inspectors Exam, and we turn down 90% of those left because they can't fulfill our membership requirements.
To become a certified InterNACHI member, an inspector must complete each of the following requirements:
- Join InterNACHI.
- Pass InterNACHIís Online Inspector Examination.
- Complete InterNACHIís online Code of Ethics course.
- Complete InterNACHI's online Standards of Practice course.
- Sign an affidavit to become a certified member.
To maintain their certification and membership in good standing, our members must:
- Substantially adhere to the InterNACHI Standards of Practice or the standard required by law in their jurisdiction.
- Abide by the InterNACHI Code of Ethics.
- Take 24 hours of Continuing Education courses each year, per InterNACHIís Continuing Education Policy.
Within the first year after becoming certified, our members must complete the following FREE courses:
- InterNACHIís online Safe Practices for the Home Inspector course;
- InterNACHIís online 25 Standards Every Inspector Should Know course;
- InterNACHIís online Residential Plumbing Overview for Inspectors course;
- InterNACHIís online How to Perform Residential Electrical Inspections course;
- InterNACHIís online How to Perform Roof Inspections course;
- InterNACHIís online How to Inspect HVAC Systems course;
- InterNACHIís online Structural Issues for Home Inspectors course;
- InterNACHIís online How to Perform Exterior Inspections course;
- InterNACHIís online How to Inspect the Attic, Insulation, Ventilation and Interior course;
- InterNACHIís online How to Perform Deck Inspections course; and
- InterNACHIís online How to Inspect for Moisture Intrusion course.
Also, each year, they must pass InterNACHIís Online Inspector Examination with a score of 80 or better.
InterNACHI inspectors are also covered by InterNACHI's $10,000.00 Honor Guaranteeô.