How about a 60 amp service?

Respectfully, I picked this from the archives and because the subject was covered in detail at the convention I believe like the second poster that there are not always problems associated with old panels:

Look here:

How many of you guys/gals will flag a panel, just because it’s only 60A?

(Yes, 3-wire 60A … and for a small house without any heavy heating or cooling load I wouldn’t red flag that for an upgrade unless it was overloaded, but would list that as a “concern” due to expansion limitations) –
Robert O’Connor, PE
Eagle Engineering ®
Eagle Eye Inspections ®
NACHI Education Committee

I am absolutely amazed sometimes by how much thought goes into doing things wrong

http://www.nachi.org/bbsystem/templates/subSilver/images/spacer.gif

Joe Farsetta
Advanced Professional Services Group, Inc.
User: jfarsetta
NACHI Member: Yes

http://www.nachi.org/bbsystem/templates/NACHI/images/icon_minipost.gifPosted: Mon, Feb 16th, 12:37 AM Post subject: I see 60 amp service all the time in one particular condo complex. I let them know of my concerns, but if service and panel are in good shape, it’s typically not a defect in my eyes.

Rob, Is it true that in NYC now, a 60 amp service is an automatic mandatory upgrade to 100 amps, as per AHJ and Con Ed? –

If you have the 1500 sq/ft house in example D1(a) with a gas range and water heater you have no problem fitting nicely in a 60a service. (44.1a)
Where I was in Md that was a very common setup, sometimes even having a gas dryer, getting the calculated load in the 21a range. Central A/C is going to be the breaking point but you could probably still get away with it (complying with art 220 calc) if everything else was gas and you had an 18 seer unit or better.
I know the code requires 100a but that is relatively new compared to some of the houses I see you guys inspecting

My understanding is that any work on the service entrance conductors or panel would kick in the upgrade to 100A minimum, but that if just circuits are being added that it’s not a mandatory upgrade, but a service capacity calc would have to be done to verify the 60A is still adequate.

JMO and 2-nickels … :wink:

P.S. Looking at the electric meter base, in addition to the meter type, can give an indication of service capacity on the utility/feeder side. At least around my neck of the woods (your local mileage may vary) a round meter base generally indicates an older 60A service, a square meter base an older 100A service, and a rectangular meter base an older 200A service or for a newer installation at least a 100A service.

For example, seeing a round meter base and a 100A service panel is a red mind flag to look closer, and a probable panel upgrade without permits or upgrading the old 60A SE conductors.