Grounding the gas line

Is it acceptable to use the main gas line to use as a main ground?

The house is a 2002 built.

The home has plastic supply lines.

As you can see there was a ground at the main water line.

I personnaly would think you would have a better ground at the water line since it is 6feet instead of 3 feet for the gas.

Also home has no AFCI at the main box. Home was probably built before the 2002 code came out. Would you recommend as an improvement to add to the box?

One more question. What year was the code for the waterproof exterior covers. This one is missing and I would recommend installing.

Thanks

David,
the Gas line is “bonded” to the water pipe “grounding” system----in addition there may have been ground rods as well.

There is the ground for the exterior ground rod. The gas ground is not for bonding. They are using for the water line ground.

Dave

Absolutely not. But as Mr. Buell stated, it should be bonded.

Weatherproof.

2005 NEC requires the “bubble” type cover at exterior receps. The type in your picture is the norm for many years previous.

What do you mean the gas line ground is not for bonding?

NO, the Gas Piping should never be used as a Grounding Electrode. The requirement to connect to the gas piping comes into effect within the dwelling to areas likely to become energized…and in most cases this is taken care of by the equipment ground of the gas appliance but in most all areas the gas piping inside should be bonded to the system…But most certainly NOT as the grounding electrode.

In this case I would suggest the owner drive an additional ground rod 6’ from the first one and bond them together and complete their system if they are concerned.

As for the AFCI, It is something most certainly that can be suggested as it will save lives but is not something required for them to do…and i will let jeff finish on the other items.

Here is a REFRESHER for you all…:slight_smile:

http://www.nachi.org/forum/showthread.php?t=2272

I didnt think the ground at the main gas was right. Can the wire be removed from the gas and attached to the one by the meter?

There is about 8 feet to connect the two. Or does the wire need to be continuos?

About the bonding. Since the house has all plastic pipes. What is the best way to bond the gas pipe?

There was no bonding across the water tank. Being the plastic lineswould a bond still be required across the tank?

Thanks for all the responses.

Any tips to give to a new electrician. I am inspecting his house this afternoon. I better watch ans know what I say with the electrical.

Dave

Jeff
Please explain to me how the bonding of the gas line to the plumbing is effective as most times a jumper from one side of the meter to the other is not present. Without the jumper the gas line is bonded to nothing. ???
Larry

Larry the bonding of the gas piping is required “house side” of the meter because the pipe from the meter to the street is typically plastic. The gas piping isn’t a grounding system it is a metallic “system” within the home that needs to be bonded to the grounding system.
Dave, the wire at the underground pipe at the meter is a tracer wire so that the utility can locate the plastic pipe if they need to and is not a ground wire (if that is what you mean by “the one at the meter”)

Please…Please…guys the answers to those questions can really be obtained by reading the link I made above. Also the link I provided can explain it all about the gas piping system.

It’s not bonded to the utility, it’s bonded to the systems of the home.

Jeff, which side of the water meter would one bond the gas line to? Also, aren’t all equipment using gas already bonded back thru the main panel ,if the are using elec.?

Bonding should be on the “house” side of all meters. I think you’re confusing bonding with grounding. . .

http://www.nachi.org/forum/showthread.php?t=2302

Is this bonding of gas, heat ducks, etc., required? Should we be making our clients aware of this?

From your picture it is obvious the gas line IS bonded on the house side of the meter, which is correct and required in most areas.

Although the one in the picture also looks like it is damaged, missing one of its covers.

That’s what it looks like to me, as well.

Instead of thinking that the wire runs from the copper water pipe to the metal gas pipe, which might make one think that the water pipe is being bonded to the grounded gas pipe, think of the wire as running the other way, from the gas pipe to the water pipe, which then should make one think that the gas pipe is being bonded to the grounded water pipe.

It doesn’t matter how you think of the connections, it matters what components of the system are verifyable.

The question was whether or not the gas line could be used as "the main ground." Assuming, of course, that he was referring to the Grounding Electrode.

The answer is no. You can’t use the gas line as the grounding electrode and some other means should be verifyable - ground rod, metal underground water pipe, Ufer, or ground ring.

If no other means could be verified, it should be reported as such.

The bonding of the systems is more difficult to verify as this is often done in locations or areas where bonding conductors may not be visible.