Top Ten Wiring Hazards

My Red Bold at No. 1:

I believe this list can be extremely useful and should be made available for distribution. NACHI’s Baltimore Electrical Seminar (my first one) was attended by representatives from the NASFM www.nasfm.org

They sent NACHI a letter that was posted somewhere on the old site - where?

Courtesy: www.copper.org

The NACHI Safe House Campaign.

Update: Safe House Campaign launches its own website! http://www.safehousecampaign.com
The United States Fire Administration, part of the Federal Emergency Management Administration (FEMA), the Maryland State Fire Marshal’s Office, the National Association of Certified Home Inspectors (NACHI), and the NACHI Foundation (a registered charity) have teamed up to create a national safety awareness program, The NACHI Safe House Campaign.
The NACHI Safe House Campaign was kicked off on March 20, 2004 with the NACHI Foundation’s donation of smoke alarms for the hearing impaired. The spectial alarms, retailing at over $150 each, were given to needy families. The event was done in partnership with the Maryland State Fire Marshal’s Office and their planned Spring Into Action Day.
“Our plans include creating a fire safety inspection training for our members, creating a home safety training class to take to the communities, a home safety checklist for our inspectors, and NACHI’s Occupant Hazard Recognition Primer.” said Daniel R. Frend, Director of The NACHI Safe House Campaign.
The Campaign also just released a thirty second Public Service Announcement by radio personality Johnny Contino. Mr. Contino then donated his fee, less union dues, back to the NACHI Foundation. This PSA, to be played on radio stations around the country, encourages people to check the batteries in their smoke alarms after changing the time on Sunday, April4, 2004.
Some facts: Each year fire kills more people in the US than all natural disasters combined. At least 80% of all fire deaths occur in residences. In 2001, not counting the events of September 11, fire cause $10.6 billion in direct property loss. Seniors over 65 and children under 5 have the greatest risk. A working smoke alarm doubles the chances of surviving, yet 52% of fire fatalities were in homes with NO Smoke alarms.

For more information on the campaign or for information on how to make fully tax deductible donations to this project, contact Daniel Frend at dan@nachifoundation.org
Daniel R Frend
Director of The NACHI Safe House Campaign

http://www.safehousecampaign.com
NACHI member discount on Sure Test Circuit Analyzers with Arc Fault Test.
NACHI’s smoke detector PSA played accross America’s radio stations.
NACHI’s Occupant Hazard Recognition Primer.
National Association of State Fire Marshals thanks NACHI trainer.

National Association of State Fire Marshals thanks NACHI Trainer Joe Tedesco.

April 20, 2004
Dear Mr. Tedesco:
On behalf of the Board of Directors of the National Association of State Fire Marshals (NASFM), I would like to express our appreciation for your commitment to fire prevention and fire safety on behalf of your organization, the National Association of Certified Home Inspectors (NACHI).
Our representative, Walt Smittle, reported that you provided him a unique opportunity to participate in your electrical code seminar this past weekend in Baltimore, Maryland. We were extremely pleased to receive a full hour on your agenda and, on such short notice.
Your active and enthusiastic support of home electrical safety plays a crucial role in maintaining the arc-fault circuit interrupter (AFCI) requirement in new homes.
NASFM is a small organization involved in a large number of ambitions fire safety initiatives. Our ability to assist the state fire marshals in their mission to save lives depends on the combined commitment and strong involvement of both the fire services and groups such as the home inspectors in each state.
Once again, the Board thanks you for helping to initiate a relationship with NACHI and look forward to the many opportunities to partner for fire safety.
Congratulations and best wishes for continued success!
Sincerely,

James A Burns
President, NASFM

cc: Board of Directors
Bert Polk, Chair, Electrical Fire Safety Working Group
Walt Smittle, NASFM Special Representative
Nick Gromick, Executive Director of NACHI
Daniel R. Frend, Director of The NACHI Safe House Campaign.

NACHI offers free electrical training for home inspectors.
NACHI partners with Federal Emergency Management Administration (FEMA).

NACHI’s smoke detector PSA played accross America’s radio stations.
NACHI’s Occupant Hazard Recognition Primer.

Joe
I have been reading through some of the old posts and came across this thread.

I believe the number 1 wiring hazard in the entire country is:

1. Miswiring by people (mostly people performing electrical work who really have no clue of how the safety part of the system [effective ground fault current path])performs. There is too much work installed today that does not qualify as even substandard.

I also believe this is going to lead to more “actual” electrical fires, and deaths in the future as these systems become more and more prevalent.

Agreed, this is by far the most hazardous condition that home inspectors come across.

Regards

Gerry

woe is me … and … this will not get ANY better, all the experience gained by the true mechanics can now be purchased on-line for a fee or for free on some boards and the DIY IS GOLDEN WHEN THEY DO THE WORK THAT MAY NOT BE SO SAFE!

NYC? You gonna say that I can’t do the work? Gun in back pocket in the projects!

YES I AGREE

bump