How a 10-Foot Fall Changed One Family's Life

Thanks Jim. We take enough risks just climbing ladders IMHO

I just got a call for an inspection today, Because the other inspector fell off his ladder and is incapacitated. Bummer.

I love my inspectoscope!

You are probably taking a greater risk driving to an inspection than you are by going up on the roof when you get there.

Amen brother.

No, not really. You can control driving. Most accident injuries are recoverable. Roof and ladder falls, well, all it takes is once.

You are at the mercy of other drivers when on the road. Ladder safety is 100% under my control. I am much safer climbing a ladder than I am driving through city traffic.

20secs into the link & the conclusion is
trying to work half baked isn’t smart & people that use poor judgement have a greater chance for disastrous results…ymmv
some here may need to rethink their career choice

I had a 3 foot fall seriously f my life up permanently. Decorating for xmas off my inspection previous ladder. My right foot will NEVER be close to normal again and I am in pain almost daily. I went fishing July 4th and stood most of the day bass fishing and could barely walk by dark and most of the next day.

Exactly right.

I am 63, and drive over 35.000 miles a year. Never had an accident, or even a dent in my vehicle. Being a former race car driver has, I am sure, helped with that. Avoidance is the key.

I feel much safer in my truck than on any ladder or roof.

& as i recall in your own words this occurred against your better judgement…fatigue or improper footwear wasn’t it

sounds like it’s time to retire
from an ethical standpoint & as a company policy i would hope you fully disclose to potential clients that you do not climb ladders or traverse roofs

this thread may have been an attempt for ladder safety awareness…it FAILED imo

try this for a reality check

What you have said is true to a degree.
I am a very aware driver, haven’t had been involved in an accident in decades.
I don’t think thats just luck.
I’m very aware of what is going on around me and can anticipate behavior to some extent.

I’d much rather take 300 drives than climb 300 roofs. :wink:

Yes barry I am the only one to blame for my accident :slight_smile: Isn’t that a Novel approach to take in these times?

Tiss a shame so many look to profit from their own stupidity in this Country. That is the main reason insurance is so UN-AFFORDABLE :frowning:

AMEN!

I don’t climb onto a roof, period! The telescopic pole (spectoscope type) does the job safely.

G

It’s more of a set of lessons on how to not be an idiot.

Lesson 1 - Don’t drink your evenings away.
Lesson 2 - Don’t perform elevated unfamiliar work half drunk or with a hangover.
Lesson 3 - Don’t ask “Why me?” when bad things happen after ignoring lessons 1 & 2.

I do climb roofs when appropriate, I use the scope when it’s not.
Used to carry a 28’ ladder, it wouldn’t get me up on most of the flat roofs here.

If I had a jet pack I’d use that, lacking that the scope is great and safe!

I’ve just heard too many stories of that one time, that one slip and everything is changed in a heartbeat.

Friend of mine is a painter, she was in her studio on a ladder some months back.
Up about 6’ she slipped off the ladder trying to get a painting out of storage.

Heel and ankle shattered, numerous pins, screws installed.
Then a staph infection, they almost had to take her foot off.
She’ll never be the same.

Accidents happen.

"Originally Posted by badair View Post
this thread may have been an attempt for ladder safety awareness…it FAILED imo
It’s more of a set of lessons on how to not be an idiot.

Lesson 1 - Don’t drink your evenings away.
Lesson 2 - Don’t perform elevated unfamiliar work half drunk or with a hangover.
Lesson 3 - Don’t ask “Why me?” when bad things happen after ignoring lessons 1 & 2."

From How a 10-Foot Fall Changed One Family’s Life - Page 2 - InterNACHI Inspection Forum http://www.nachi.org/forum/f11/10-foot-fall-changed-one-familys-life-92643/index2.html#ixzz37DW9yBhK

I think I would add drugs or prescription medications to that list.

An inspectoscope wouldn’t work well here, as many roofs are flat, and the part that is prone to failure is the inside parapet wall juncture with the roof. It would have to be viewed from across the other side, or the pole would have to be over extended, angled over, and the camera pointing back down.

I used to live in albq. so I know what you mean. But I do think the scope could work.
IMHO you might have to take shots from more than one side of the house to see what you need. Once you get the pics on the computer you can zoom in on any detail you choose with great clarity.