4 inspection scenario questions from a fellow inspector

This morning, Tim emailed me the following questions, and I thought he’d appreciate hearing some answers from some experienced inspectors.

Question #1:
If you inspect an attic and notice the top member of a roof truss had been cut to add a skylight. You should advise the customer to contact who: a structural engineer or a certified contractor?

Question #2:
You find a defect with a toilet bowl with a hairline crack (but no leaks). You advise the customer what? Does it need to be replaced? And where would it rank as priority on your defect list.

Question #3:
You’re searching a crawlspace and notice a strong smell of gas in the area. Your next move is what: Notify the gas company or call 911 to evaluate the home?

Question #4:
While inspecting the bathroom, you break the toilet tank lid. Your next step is what: offer to pay for the lid out of pocket or advise your E&O insurance carrier to make a claim?

What would you say to Tim?

Hi Ben and Tim

I know that I may not be the best or most experienced inspector in the field, but with 30 + years in building and multi unit maintenance experience , this is how I would handle these issues.

#1 Finding a structurely engineered and certified truss compromised I recommend an engineer evaluate and make recommendations for repair. If the roof was stick built then a contractor could be contacted, it would not be certified,but trusses are.

#2 hair line crack leaks may not allways be visible. Replace the toilet. The cost of a toilet is much less than replacing the floor.

#3 My life is more important than any house . Get out ,call 911 and let them evaluate . Safety first, you have no idea where it is coming from, any electronic equipment to test for the leak could cause a spark,

#4 Pay for the lid…If you file two or three claims like that you will be looking for another e&o carrier.

These are just my opinions but maybe they can help

Did I win anything?

K, here I go,

1 - Structural Engineer or Structural Contractor
2 - There is a crack noted at the toilet and should be evaluated by a licensed plumbing contrator
3 - Smell of gas should be reported ASAP. Walked into a home a few years ago and the gas smell was overwhelming…Just got turned on for inspection. I called PGE, and the agent to let me know when all is clear.
4 - Pay for it if you broke it. But the toilet tank lid is not part of an inspection and should not have been removed to begin with.

That is what I would say:D

This Tim :smiley: would note…

#1 - If a single chord was cut I would refer them to a licensed general/framing contractor who would then obtain a detail to repair the truss from a truss engineer or SE (at least in CA)

#2 - The toilet is defective and replacement is recommended by a plumbing or qualified contractor.

#3 - Call Gas Co, in some situations, close the main as well. On other hand, if leak was severe, 911 and get away!

#4 - I broke it… I’d pay. If there was other damage when the lid broke, such as damaging the tub or tile floor, and I felt it warranted such, I’d then notify my General Liability insurance company, I’m not sure what an E&O company might have to say about damaging a toilet, except “That’s too bad”

#1 structural engineer

#2 needs replacing - high ranking-possible flood damage

#3 evacute house call gas company, if not reachable 911

#4 E&O insur. claim, toilet lids are some times a bear to find to replace

#1 Repair by licensed GC with specific plans from a SE. Let the GC obtain the specifications as part of his bidding / repair process.

#2 Replace.

#3 Evacuate and call 911. If the smell is that strong, the FD will be needed even with the gas company responding.

#4. Replace the lid at your cost.

PS. Paul P, do you not inspect the toilet valves for leaks? The number I have found over the years that were spraying out the sides and sometimes spraying at the top of the tank and down the wall are unreal. I would venture that 40% of the toilet valves up here are leaking in one way or another. Also there is no way to check for cracks at the back of the tank without removing the lid. Just curious.