What was this for

Why was this hole next to the dryer vent made?

What is on the other side of the wall?

Looks like old dryer ducting that was used in some houses built in the 50’s. My mother’s house has stuff like that in it still. The other posibility could be a duct clean out that is missing the end plug. Is there vertical ducting that runs through that wall?

It is helpful to know what other things are going on outside the frame of the picture. What’s going on behind the wall? What’s under the floor at that location? Is there a heating supply liine close by? Did the house have forced air heat at one point?

At least they tried to cover it with UL certified materials.

Sorry…
I thought you were questioning the vent line. I did not read your question right the first time around. I didn’t know you were questioning the hole coverd with aluminum tape.

If this is the laundry area and that is a vent for the dryer, one explanation may be that they were expecting a side vent dryer and not a back vent.

Or perhaps, they didn’t realize that the original hole would lead them to another interior room or garage area, or even perhaps a brick veneer or something along those lines.

To me it simply looks like they changed their mind on the location of the vent and failed to complete the repair of the old hole. Removal of sheetrock appears to extend from stud to stud for easy repair.

I’m sure many, many other scenarios could be thought of or presented. I would assume though, that only the maker of the damaged sheetrock area could answer your question.

John Bowman is correct.

Was this a test???