Bellow the grade drilled well?

Hi guys,
I am in NY state and recently came across a “bellow grade drilled well”. As far as I know a minimum 12" of well casing above the ground is required for drilled wells. What is the story with bellow the grade burried well???
I lifted the 3’x4’ metal plate expecting a shaft, but there were some 6 cinderblocks and the center was filled to the top with dirt.
There is a 1/2HP submersible sticker on the pressure tank, but I cannot be sure where the well is. Tank, pressuretrol, 1" polyethylene pipe- all in the basement, pulling plenty of water.
Anybody have seen those yet? And what is the legality of it? = old house 1890?
thanks

Frank, any pictures?:slight_smile:

yes, covered hole, don’t know how to upload it.

Disclaim.

I agree with Joe, Disclaim it if that is your question.

If you need help, check this out here, it might help a little.

http://des.nh.gov/organization/divisions/water/dwgb/well_testing/documents/checklist.pdf:):smiley:

I would recommend that well casing be extended above ground and that a vermin proof cap be installed, that ground slope away from casing and that a pit adapter (if missing) be installed for ease of service.

A minimum distance is required between well and the septic bed.

The reason being that present set up could allow surface contaminated water to enter the well.

yes I am recommending extending the well casing above the grade, I just have not seen or heard of that before. Wonder if any of you have come across that before.

Yes I have regularly; it is common in rural areas and still is…

that’s my well? - what well

do dthey look like that?

is it a standard 6" casing since it appears to have a 1/2 HP submersible pump in it? What type of a head seals do they put on them bellow the grade.

1 Like

This may help explain some more:

**[FONT=Times New Roman, Times New Roman, serif][size=5]WELL CASING EXTENSIONS **[/size][/FONT]

1. **PURPOSE: **To clarify the regulatory requirements when drilled well casings for public water supply wells are extended to bring the well head above ground to comply with Regulations within the State control laws.

It is common to encounter older drilled wells in some States that have well heads buried beneath the ground surface or located in below ground well pits. Modern well construction methods and the introduction of pitless adapters in the 1960’s have, in most cases, eliminated the need for well heads to be located below the ground surface.
Well heads located below the ground surface increase the risk of contamination to the well because of potential surface water intrusion. In addition, many well pits, even if properly constructed to current standards, are considered ***confined spaces ***subject to strict entry procedures for the safety of personnel entering the space to perform necessary inspection or work. The use of well pits is discouraged and, where they exist, are encouraged to be eliminated by extending the well head out of the pit.

The casing of every well shall project not less than six (6) inches above the established grade at the well. However, it is strongly recommended that the casing project a minimum of twelve (12) to twenty-four (24) inches above grade at the well. 

**WELL HEAD PROTECTION: **In some cases, raising well casings out of well pits may subject the well casing to the additional hazard of collision damage from vehicles, snow plowing activities, or may pose a safety hazard to pedestrians. This is a common problem when wells are located beneath parking lots or sidewalks and when they are located very close to roads or other high traffic areas. When wells are located in these areas, it is strongly recommended that protective barriers be placed around the well for safety purposes and to reduce the risk of accidental collisions with moving vehicles. When wells are located in or near heavy traffic areas, the area around the well should be curbed a sufficient distance to provide a non-destructive but effective barrier from vehicle traffic. Curbing should be done in a manner that would prevent ponding of surface water around the well casing. :slight_smile:

Not always…

Just off the press from a good Friend in Texas;

Typical for New England and most locations. :):smiley:

Well that’s pretty close.
Over and out
thanks guys

Around here the wells need to be grouted for that reason.

I’d disclaim it and refer it out.