Broken Garage door panel!!!!!!

So, I had my first experience with damage today.

Testing the pressure reverse on a garage door and the top panel broke loose from the metal bracket and ripped the sheet metal and the styrofoam backing as well. Just the top panel was damaged. I, of course, called the listing agent and got the sellers number, called the seller, explained what happened and that I will get the top panel replace at my expense.

Since I have to wait until tomorrow to contact an overhead door company, does anyone have any clue how much a new door panel would cost?

I am only interested in replacing the panel and not the whole door.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

I have not had that happen.

How were you testing the door?

Do you have pictures?

Cant help you there.

Let me guess, you used a 2x4?

That’s why I always check this by hand. If it forces me over before reversing, I let it go, and write it up.

Same here. If the sensors work I only test down force with moderate force on my arms. No sense in taking a chance.

Good luck Scott.

If it is a one car garage door, metal door, expect it to be about $250.00 (non hurricane rated), plus the charges for re-hooking up the opener.

Same here. I’ve seen panels go for a couple hundred bucks depending on the manufacturer.

I ONLY have ever tested the pressure reverse with my hands. I also only test in the middle of the door. This thing was given very little pressure and snapped like it was wanting to anyway! I just happened to be the person who it happened to. Unlucky I guess.

But I guess there is a first time for everything.

I never saw the point in using a 2x4 because if it didn’t reverse then you are just asking to damage the door or the opener.

Try watching the connection point as the door comes down and you create a little resistance with your arm. You can see it start to flex and let go quickly if need be.

Then why did you offer to pay for it? You didn’t break it. It broke while testing.

“The garage door auto reverse functionality failed under testing. When given a some resistance the door buckled, fell off the track, and was damaged. Had this happened when it was closing on a foreign object or even a person, severe damage and injury could have occurred. Major Concern. Recommend repair.”

Because it was the right thing to do! I had to call the current owner to let them know. I always try to put myself in someone else’s shoes. If I was the owner and the inspector broke the door while testing, whether it was his fault or not, the fact is that it worked fine before he touched it and now it’s broken. Regardless! It doesn’t matter that I was testing it when it broke.

I take responsibility for things I do. Bottom line is that I have to be comfortable with it. I would never be comfortable with telling the owner or potential buyer that “yeah, it broke while I was testing it…you need to get it repaired for it to work properly.” No Way! I could have applied too much pressure…I didn’t…but I may have in the eyes of the owner. Nobody knows but me and there is no argument for me on this. The only way it broke was from too much pressure…how much is relative.

I may cause a stink over a claim that I missed a roof leak and they want a new roof out of it. But not something that when I touched it, it fell apart. Why risk my reputation on a small issue like this! What is there to defend, really?

I was proactive about the whole thing by calling the listing agent and the sellers and letting them know what happened. Being proactive and offering to fix the problem could yield me more business. The listing agent may use me because I was upfront and honest about what I did. The sellers could call on me to inspect the home They are buying! Who knows.

I know that was a long drawn out response. Sorry! :smiley:

Hi Scott,

If the door failed like you said, I would have certainly done the same thing you did…good luck…!

Many of us have done the same thing…once! :D…I mean broke and paid for a panel.

I was going to say that to Mike, but I didn’t—:smiley:

But I have come close----:lol:

Watch the lil arm—:wink:

Scott,

Mine cost $350. I think you did the right thing.

I was inspecting a year or two old house once that had at least two garage doors. The girl that lived there had never opened the single wide door. When I pressed the automatic door opener button, the arm pulled off the door. The weather stripping around the edge of the door was stuck to the door.
I talked to the seller and she did not blame me. I had told the buyers agent that I could fix it relatively easily (the panel did not buckle). He wanted me to fix it, so I spent an hour or so and took care of it.

Some time after that I had two doors buckle on me, but they were both already damaged (I didn’t notice the previous attempts at repairs until after they buckled on me).

Now the first thing I do is test the emergency release and see how easily the door moves. When I test downward pressure, I hold the door back with my hand below my waist and give it a quick (not too hard) jerk, instead of prolonged pressure. That seems to be working pretty well.

I do the manual opening first and inspect the springs and cables prior to using the auto opener…Then use a roll of paper towels for my inspection of the auto reverse…or my foot in front of the sensors if thats what it is equipped with.

Use your head next time:mrgreen: 300.00 or so. If you can just pick up the door and do the install your self 125.00

Best

Ron

Scott,
Good for you for taking the high road on this.

Scott,

It this had happened to me, it would have got written up as “Failed upon testing”

But that’s the difference between you and I. I commend you for stepping up to the plate and volunteering to pay for this damage.

Also, always remember to check those slider locks. I had one where the door panel buckled when I pushed the automatic opener. OOOPS

Scott,

I commend you for taking the high road, and doing the right thing. You have once again proven that your company name is more than a marketing ploy. It is a belief and way of life for you. If one does not operate with ‘genuine’ high integrity, they will be short for this business. You and I both operate out of small towns (Altoona=13,000, Owatonna=23,000), and our reputations are critical for success. A soiled reputation can destroy our businesses overnight. Inspectors operating in large Metro areas have luxuries that we cannot afford. Although a couple of hundred bucks may be a hard pill to swallow at times, it is a small price to pay for the solidification of your Brand. I am certain that you will be rewarded ten-fold for your honesty and Integrity! Great job!!!

Jeff