Buying Realtor at Home Inspection

How often is the buyer’s realtor at your inspections? Just curious.

I assume you mean my client’s realtor; the buyer’s realtor.
Most of the time.
The seller’s agent or listing agent; less than half the time (closer to almost never).

I would also say most of the time. I prefer them to be there for a lot of reasons.

Met a new agent today on a walk thru setting up a Radon test. Might me some referrals down the road.

Almost never unless I don’t know them. Most of the ones I work with come, unlock the door (I quit paying for and carrying a Supra key about 15 yrs ago), then leave. It is even more rare to see the sellers agent.

Most of the time, unless they are too lazy to do their job.

Never. I t would be like pulling teeth. When I first started they would even tell the client not to show up until the last 1/2 hour so we could do our job without distractions. Most of the homies around here still practice this. I like having the client with me so I can show them what I am doing and any issues I may find.

Almost never. I know a few RE agents who went to a seminar where they learned to NOT be at the inspection in order to cover themselves. Like that if there is anything the Homie misses, the RE agent has plausible deniability…

HMMMM, maybe thats why they never show up. And I just thought they were lazy.:mrgreen::mrgreen::twisted:

If they know me and have used me they only make an “appearance”. Their absence is actually a compliment in some way. The ones who have never used me are always there and I like that just fine. They get to see the type of time and effort I give the process and depending on what type of Realtor they are, some will call me again or suggest me to other agents. A good inspection is good marketing.

My favorite inspections are when a Realtor has used me in the past and they really would rather have a rubber stamp inspector. So when their clients choose me I get to watch the Realtor suffer. I REALLY take my time and look at every square inch during those inspections. I know it drives them nuts when their clients are overly appreciative of my work. Neener-neener-NEEEEENER. (obviously I don’t say that out loud) :wink:

I email it to them later. :mrgreen:

Another question would be if the Real Estate Agent stays til the end of an inspection… a different story

I have insected houses for clients with about 60-70 different realtors (thats how many are in my HIP address book). There are about 3 that regularly stop by towards the end

Is that so you can sell them a WDO? Good Thinking! :stuck_out_tongue:

This is true. There is no reason for the real estate agent to be at a home inspection. The client paid the home inspector to be there, not the agent.

(As a side note, I as an agent would never open a door for the inspector. All inspectors I used have an e-key and can let themselves in. I would inform buyers/sellers that the HI should have the tools for the trade. That same seminar, taught by an attorney/E&O provider, explained the liability of the agent giving access to the HI and the many cases of the agent losing in court.)

In Kansas City our realtors are very protective of us inspectors AND don’t want us to be alone with a home buyer that could hurt us.

Read the attached article fom our Board of Realtors.

Wow! Was that really written by an adult? Are they there too when the various tradesmen come to do the remedial work that needs to be performed prior to closing? The author of that is full of the brown stuff. Anyone that has a Supra key had to buy or lease it from the local Realtor Association (or at least that is only place you can get one here) and have it coded and the only code typically required from the agent is the CBS (Call before showing) code and that is exactly what is for. When I carried a Supra key I had my own four digit code that identified and registered (date and time stamped) me as the person going into the house and I had to have the CBS code (gotten from the listing agent who owns that frigging lockbox) in addition to my code otherwise the damn thing would not work. That article is full of misinformation and bogus suppositions about home inspectors, the process and just about everything else. Sounds like this person is ignorant of the Supra system and how it works along with everything else.

Our own local Realtor association has a bank of stupid articles they publish and if you pay attention and have been around longer than three years you will see the exact same article attributed to different agents that are verbatim. They take one out, dust it off, put their name and high school picture on it and publish it as their own material.

Unless it is a FSBO or they have made arrangements with another agent to open the home, it is 100% up here. The MLS up in WA does not allow home inspectors to have supra keys. They also have strict requirements that the agent who opens the home must be present inside the home as long as the inspector is present. Failure to stay is grounds for revocation of their key privileges.

Does that mean they ALWAYS stay? Nope. Some will skip out early on vacant homes. I always keep note of the time they arrive and leave on a non-printed page of my report.

Listing agents? Only twice in 7 years unless they were a dual agency.

The regional differences are amazing.

Doug -

Article by Training Director of KC Board of Realtors.

Bottom Line is they call it a duty to owner of home / to protect the sellers home and property, etc Mostly its about control, to hear whats said and for many (not all) try to poo-poo it or derail inspectors comments.

Yes, shift all the liability to the inspector.
I never enter an occupied home unless the Realtor lets me in. I want my Client there as well as the Realtor. Most good Realtors can be very helpful at times.

Seems like it varies depending on which part of the country you are in.

I am with Eric. I do not even have a pass key. It is a matter of liability of the agent in your state, and by their association rules and regs. It also protects you, the inspector, when the agent is there. If you are by yourself, things can happen, whether or not they happen…