Carbon Monoxide Law

A new law that aims to keep families safe from carbon monoxide poisoning goes into effect Monday in Michigan.

Signed by Gov. Jennifer Granholm last Thursday, the “Overbeck Law” requires all new homes built in the state to have carbon monoxide detectors.

Lawmakers said the detectors must be installed within 10 feet of a bedroom, but state codes may be revised to require at least one detector on each floor of a home.

A second bill has been proposed that would require carbon monoxide detectors in Michigan hotel rooms. The bill is awaiting Granholm’s approval.

The bill is named after Patty and Gene Overbeck, who died in 2003 from carbon monoxide poisoning in their retirement home on Elk Lake in Antrim County.
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, carbon monoxide poisoning is the leading cause of accidental poisoning in the U.S. and kills more than 500 people a year.

Illinois has a CARBON MONOXIDE Detectors law since 2006 that they must be within 15 feet of bedrooms if there are gas appliances in vicinity.

This is a smart thing anyway. I recommend ALL my clients to have one or two. (***if ***there is ANYTHING that burns fuel in the house)

Thanks Vince, for bringing this to my attention.

http://www.bsu.edu/web/copc/neighborhood/studies/rehab/COHandout.pdf

I haven’t inspected for a carbon monoxide alarm for a few years now. That the Sellers responsibility and the Fire dept. will now inspect for these.

Massachusetts has Nicole’s Law

Illinois lawwas enacted 1/1/2007.

I also recommend a carbon monoxide alarm, I test for it too ( just started awhile ago).
Just last week found a unit 16ppm . (Old furnace) I away tried checking the heat exchanger and always recommend service . A lot of people do not get their furnace checked around here. I am always hearing i have not had a problem for years . This year alone had 3 furnaces with holes and buyer,s got a new one .

Wayne,

I like the fact that I have the ability to inspect heat exchangers with my Ridgid Inspection camera.

Check out my images of a good looking heat exchanger…

Yep David they do come in handy, i got one too

Hey guys, do you warranty the heat exchangers that “look good”?

If not, how does it help you to look at a heat exchanger that you don’t see any cracks in?

Do you comment on the heat exchanger, when using this tool, only if you find a crack?

Curious how you use the tool…

Larry,

I only break my camera out when I view a lot of scaling under the heat exchanger area or if the HVAC is very old.

I do not note anything regarding the use of my snake camera.

Thanks…

Colorado has recently signed a similar bill into law, commencing on July 1, 2009…

http://www.bizjournals.com/denver/stories/2009/03/23/daily33.html

Here is a link to existing state laws regarding carbon monoxide detectors and where they are currently required.

Carbon Monoxide Laws by State

So what’s the purpose of owning one?

That answer is simple…TCMA

So let me get this straight. You own one, use it on occasion, but never report on the findings? Do you just communicate to your client verbally when something is found?

Vince,

Where did I state that I do not report my findings?
I did state…

I will report bad heat exchangers if I do run into one with my snake camera, and I will report how I located the bad heat exchanger.

I simply will not report on (every inspection report) that my snake camera tool, was utilized in my inspection.

It’s pretty simple.

David,
Reading your post, I actually had the same question as Vince.
Thanks for the clearification!
Jeff

One county in my service area requires CO monitors in ALL residential buildings. Even all electric homes and without attached garages. (BIG BROTHER is watching you!)

I disclaim them because I am not required by my state’s SOP to report about CO alarms or to enforce silly laws passed by silly people.

They are usually impossible to distinguish from a smoke alarm anyway.